Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: M416-A1 rebuild in progress!!!

Private
    Thanks

New can be functional used replacement too. I have seen axles on Craigs List going for $50. Doubt you can get one re-milled for that price. Sorry for not being more specific. Remilling was my first thought but then cost of transportation and the milling itself seemed a little high.

Thanks

If you are not trying to do an original restoration, you can just replace the axle. Some folks have ordered traditional 2,000# axles and added electronic brakes. Most axles can be had for under $150.

Personally, I don't think it looks that bad. I saw a guy hook an electric drill with "some" adapter to spin the spindle, and put polishing compound on a cotton rag. He spun the spindle and held the rag on it until he smoothed out any rough areas. It didn't take much. Just MIC it out and see how bad it is. If not, I would smooth it out, replace all the bearings, races, and grease seals. Pack the heck out of it with grease and reassemble.

If there is a trailer or axle shop in your area, consider having them just replace the spindle. They can cut it off and weld on a replacement. Cost is around $70.
    Last edited by 2ndchance; 04-30-2013 at 00:55.
    Technical write-ups, trip photos, firearm related posts. Just finished my M416-A1 restoration!
    HigherGround4x4 Arizona

Private
    Thanks

I'd love to just get a replacement axle only and keep my drums and surge brakes etc. any direct replacement available to accommodate? I found a spindle which looks like it matches what's spec'd in the maint manual. http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Spin.../R20384EZ.html
    Last edited by XCavalryx; 04-30-2013 at 14:23.

Thanks

I almost had to replace one of my drums/surge brakes. When I took it to Arizona Axle the owner said that Dexter makes a replacement. Basically, it's the same setup used on most boat trailers. I don't have any measurements or model numbers so I'm not much help on the axle. If you take your axle to an axle or trailer shop, they can take the measurements and recommend a suitable replacement. Most will scratch their heads when you call and tell them it's for a M416 military trailer. They don't have specific measurements, either.
    Technical write-ups, trip photos, firearm related posts. Just finished my M416-A1 restoration!
    HigherGround4x4 Arizona

Private
    Thanks

hi
    I,m restoring a 1967 M762 military trailer. I want to keep the brake system but my hand break assembly is totally busted.
    anyone with a good one who wants to sell me?
    thanks in advance

Private
    Thanks

Just got a Parkhurst M416a1 trailer and was wondering if you would share where I can find the PDF data plate info. My plate is practically eligible. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hello Foxtrotavery. I was never able to find one so I hired a company to reproduce one for me. I made 20 of them but sold them all off back in 2015.
    HigherGround4x4 Arizona

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7