• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

002a excessive blow-by

1800 Diesel

1800 Diesel, I let that happen once trying to get a 4 cylinder John Deere diesel engine on a Kohler 30KW generator started, I had soaked a red shop rag in gasoline and had it tucked under the edge of the air filter. The engine suddenly came to life, sucked the rag down the intake made one giant cough and shot the glowing remains of the cloth along with a lot of other gunk out the open exhaust header, the image I will never get out of my head is the glowing fabric weave pattern bits of ash raining down.

Ike
Ike,

That's quite the image! :) I had an old diesel mechanic (now deceased) teach me about that trick & he told me a similar situation when he was being taught as a teenager....the only difference is that he was using a wad of toilet paper instead of a rag and it sucked it in as soon as the engine fired up and the exhaust spit out a bunch of ashes--both black & gray colored....at the time he thought he had ruined the engine, but all was good... Ever since I heard that story, I've been real careful with the gas rag method..... :)

Kevin

dangier

Well, got the NOS pistons installed yesterday and plan to lite it off today if things go as planned. Cylinder walls cleaned up nicely with a light hone.

dangier

She's a runner! Hooked everything up this am and lit it off. Volt gauge is bad, hz gauge shows low (47hz vs 61hz on my handheld), and dcvr is inoperative. Hooked up to a 24.5 amp/240 load and ran for 1/2 hour. Makes good power. No blow-by at the oil fill cap like before. Have oil leak on #2 cylinder pushrod top tube oring. I did replace them-looks like new one is cut. Will work on that one.

Storeman-do you have any more dcvr's?
David

Munchies

She's a runner! Hooked everything up this am and lit it off. Volt gauge is bad, hz gauge shows low (47hz vs 61hz on my handheld), and dcvr is inoperative. Hooked up to a 24.5 amp/240 load and ran for 1/2 hour. Makes good power. No blow-by at the oil fill cap like before. Have oil leak on #2 cylinder pushrod top tube oring. I did replace them-looks like new one is cut. Will work on that one.

Storeman-do you have any more dcvr's?
David
Double / triple check your fuse. (I had one 2 weeks ago with a perfect blade inside and no continuity. Drove me nuts) Check the cap on the VR and all the connections.

I vote triplejim to re-engineer a dc-vr! More robust and hopefully cheaper than NOS :)

RichardR

Double / triple check your fuse. (I had one 2 weeks ago with a perfect blade inside and no continuity. Drove me nuts) Check the cap on the VR and all the connections.
Be aware that those glass tubular fuses come in several different lengths that all look about the same to the eye. A short fuse will fit easily into a longer fuseholder but not provide continuity. Yes, it will drive you nuts.

dangier

When I said the dcvr was inoperative, I meant that it was not controlling-overcharging. I would also vote for triplejim to re-engineer a dcvr... I have replaced it on all three of my units. What I thought was a cut oring leaking is a cracked pushrod tube. Anyone have any luck with JB weld on aluminum? :D

Jimc

not for nothin jim but i think there is more of a demand for the dc reg than the ac ones. just seems that way. those things are always bad. southern automotive makes brand new replacements. i have the part # written down somewhere. i remember looking them up for a price and i think they were around $150 but dont quote me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks