• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 kw libby mep003a making power. not running the whole house.

m35 adam

I have a few of these sets. When I load test the on the house ever think work fine except with two of them. The stange part is they make 120 volts at the lugs and house gets power but the fridge light does not come on and the fan for the heat pump does not come. The heat pump it's self comes on.

The other units run the whole house fine. I hook them up the same and have the settings the same. Is there anybody that may know the problem? Thanks, adam

Triple Jim

I'd start by measuring the voltage at the appliances that don't work correctly when they're having the problems. Maybe for some reason the voltage at these appliances is out of the range that they want to see.

Another thing that comes to mind is that maybe only one side of the 240 is getting to the house, so half the 120V circuits in your house's breaker panel are powered and half are not.

m35 adam

Hi, thanks for replying so quickly. I'm getting 120 on all the breaking in the panel. I have a 5kw and in runs everything fine. heat pump fan and the fridge. The other 10k's do also and all off them are putting out 120 from each lug.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sounds like you have the generator set for 120v only output.

What is the output switch behind the instrument panel set to (120v or 208v or 240v?)

Only change the switch position with the generator off.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you explain more about how you have them hooked up? Maybe a few photos of the connections?

You need to set it to 240v.

m35 adam

I'm use 6 gauge 3 wire to a 70 amp breaker. I shut the main off not to back feed the line. red and black hot, white and ground to the neutral lug. The other unit work fine hooked up the same way. I can take some pictures.

m35 adam

I'm getting 125 out of each lug and 215 when I put the 2 lead from the multi meter on the 2 and 3 lug or any of the 2 lugs. I'm also getting 120volt from the out lets in the house and all of the breakers in the panel.

R Racing

What happens when you run 3 phase is that the L1 and L3 are 120 degrees out. Were in single phase there 180 degrees out out . you may have to increase your voltage slightly to comp for being out 60 degrees.

Triple Jim

Not to mention that you won't be able to get as much power from the generator using 2 phases out of 3 as you would in single phase 120/240 mode.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Whatever your trying to accomplish, be careful.

Standard US power is 60Hz, and 110-120 volts. A lot of larger appliances can make use of 208 volts when it specifies it does. Standard wave form on the lugs are 120 volts either side of the neutral. That is why the 2 hots give you 240. The standard house wiring is just that. A bus bar which flip flop each side of the neutral for each of your 120 volt breakers. Then you have a dual pole breaker which uses both hots to send the 240 to say a electric water heater, a electric oven, a electric dryer, a large outside A/C unit etc...
It sounds like your not understanding electricity, and you can damage your wiring, and things plugged in too.

rustystud

Howdy,
Whatever your trying to accomplish, be careful.

Standard US power is 60Hz, and 110-120 volts. A lot of larger appliances can make use of 208 volts when it specifies it does. Standard wave form on the lugs are 120 volts either side of the neutral. That is why the 2 hots give you 240. The standard house wiring is just that. A bus bar which flip flop each side of the neutral for each of your 120 volt breakers. Then you have a dual pole breaker which uses both hots to send the 240 to say a electric water heater, a electric oven, a electric dryer, a large outside A/C unit etc...
It sounds like your not understanding electricity, and you can damage your wiring, and things plugged in too.
Or burn your house down ! 3 phase is for commercial applications only.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks