• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 kw libby mep003a making power. not running the whole house.

m35 adam

I have been doing electrical work for years. Always at code. I know what I'm doing. Amps, volts, watts. It's not rocket science. I was a builder for 15 years. The problem is I'm getting 120 on each lug. 240 into panel. The heat pump compressor works fine but the fan does not kick in to push the air. It's just very strange. Like I said I have other 10 units that run the house fine.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been doing electrical work for years. Always at code. I know what I'm doing. Amps, volts, watts. It's not rocket science. I was a builder for 15 years. The problem is I'm getting 120 on each lug. 240 into panel. The heat pump compressor works fine but the fan does not kick in to push the air. It's just very strange. Like I said I have other 10 units that run the house fine.
Do the other 10 units still run the house fine? Or did you fry something in your HVAC system?
I would get something cheaper and more forgiving to frequency and voltage issues to test your generator's on, such as resistance heater's...

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might check you L1 to L3 voltage with a load. Still wouldn't use Motors or other sensitive equipment as a load though.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Well, if that is the case. You are then relying on the mep gauges to much. You need a meter connected to see if you really do have 120/240 and 60Hz. It sounds like the unit in question is not operating where it should.

I must be a rocket scientist. :doh:

rustystud

you can use it on the phase only running 2 hots not 3 hots. Thats the same as 1 phase.
Three phase is NOT the same as single phase. Single phase is 180 degrees apart and three phase is 90 degrees apart. Your motors will start to fry if you do this. If your a builder like you say then you must know the "NFPA" regulations. If you install your generators like you said then you would have power coming in at 90 and 270 degrees !

rustystud

Everything you said was good advice, but 3-phase power has the three legs 120 degrees apart. Using two of them to simulate single phase gives you 120v and 208v.
When you look at a graph of the sine-wave it comes out to 180 degrees for single phase and 90 degrees for three phase. That is how you can have a wave 270 degrees out in three phase. Remember we are talking of a 360 degree circle here, as in the spinning rotor.

m35 adam

So I figured out what I was doing wrong. I finally checked the hertz with a real gauge and I was getting around 75 at full throttle. Seemed like I had to back the throttle down quit a bit to get down to 63 H or so. To bad there's no tack.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
  So I figured out what I was doing wrong. I finally checked the hertz with a real gauge and I was getting around 75 at full throttle. Seemed like I had to back the throttle down quit a bit to get down to 63 H or so. To bad there's no tack.
Standard US residential electric service is supposed to be 60 Hz. While some minor fluctuations are to be expected for various reasons, most electronics and such do not like too much greater or less. I would be surprised if 63 is even in range for some items. I would regulate your throttle down even more to attain a pretty solid 60 and keep it that way. I tend to keep an eye on my Hz meter as I add and subtract loads to make sure I keep the engine churning out the correct cycles/sec for all things electric to enjoy. I actually have fun watching the process of what loads do when added or taken off-line. It really helps me understand how large certain loads really are.

Additionally, I've read that starting up or shutting down these units should be done with the engine turning the gen head at 60 hz. There are some regulators and other wizardry inside that do not like it when things are too far off 60 Hz.

rustystud

M3M5 adam, glad that's straightened out. There is a tach, it's the frequency meter. :)

Rustystud, there are three phases, equally spaced in the 360 degree circle, 120 degrees apart. That's why 120-0-120 gives you 208. Here's a correct graph:

View attachment 641299

Longer explanation here: http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/tech/threeph.htm
Your right. I was going by the single phase line being 0 to 90 peak. The original answer still holds though. The phase difference between two 3 phase lines will not properly power a motor designed for 180 degrees phase difference.

I do know about the 120 degrees in 3 phase buy my mind has been on other issues lately. My computer got a virus 4 days ago and almost wiped out my files ! I was downloading a "Rockwell differential manual" . I thought it was a trusted site ! I'm using my back-up laptop right now. I have a ton of "repair programs and anti-virus and malware programs but I cannot get anything to work. I'm trying to physically connect my old computer to this laptop and transfer the files. I have "ALL" my TM manuals ( over 500 ) and all my pictures and music on the computer. I have everything backed-up on a Seagate external harddrive but it will not allow me to connect to the laptop ! Since the main computer is corrupted I don't dare try and up-load my back-up to it. I might have to take the whole thing into a recovery service to get all my documents out. :cry:
I hate people who just want to make other peoples lives miserable !

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

I might have to take the whole thing into a recovery service to get all my documents out. :cry:
I hate people who just want to make other peoples lives miserable !
Rusty, have you tried booting into "safe mode" and then while in safe mode running a full virus scan? You might consider downloading & using Kaspersky's free AV scanner. If it finds an infection you can then download a free 30 Day free fully functioning trial of "KAV" which should then remove or quarantine the offending virus/malware. Not trying to start a which is best Virus/malware program discussion here, as there are lots of highly ranked anti-virus programs, just recommending one I know and trust and have been using for over 10 years with excellent results.

http://www.kaspersky.com/free-virus-scan

TIP: In addition to having a separate drive for individual file back-up's you should also consider doing separate "full disk image" backups every month or so using another external drive, or another partition on your existing external backup drive if it is large enough. That way, if you get hit with an unrecoverable virus/ransom-ware you can restore an image copy which overwrites your entire disk's OS, programs, files and all and you are then restored back to the date of your last full disk image backup.

Now back on topic...

jamawieb

I bet that motor was screaming at 75 hertz.

Be careful with setting your hertz so high and I consider 63 high. Electronics can't take a huge swing in hertz and they do not do well with high or low hertz input. I usually set all my sets to 61.5 hertz and when fully loaded, a good unit will settle at 60 hertz fully loaded. Just don't want you to ruin your electronics by testing these units.

rustystud

Rusty, have you tried booting into "safe mode" and then while in safe mode running a full virus scan? You might consider downloading & using Kaspersky's free AV scanner. If it finds an infection you can then download a free 30 Day free fully functioning trial of "KAV" which should then remove or quarantine the offending virus/malware. Not trying to start a which is best Virus/malware program discussion here, as there are lots of highly ranked anti-virus programs, just recommending one I know and trust and have been using for over 10 years with excellent results.

http://www.kaspersky.com/free-virus-scan

TIP: In addition to having a separate drive for individual file back-up's you should also consider doing separate "full disk image" backups every month or so using another external drive, or another partition on your existing external backup drive if it is large enough. That way, if you get hit with an unrecoverable virus/ransom-ware you can restore an image copy which overwrites your entire disk's OS, programs, files and all and you are then restored back to the date of your last full disk image backup.

Now back on topic...
I wish I had talked with you last week ! Last night I did go into Safe Mode and ran my anti-virus programs. I was at last able to rid myself of that horrible virus ! Now tonight after using system restore I'm up and running again !
I really need to learn how to partition my harddrive like you mentioned and create a separate back-up.
Is there some tutorial on making a "full disc image" ?
Thanks for all the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks