• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 kw tactical quiet generator

m715

I just bought a MEP-803A diesel gn set.While searching the net for the TM and maintenace manuial I found a post on PS monthly of a promlem that both the 5kw and 10 kw tqg have.I am posting the info here for anyone intersted.The problem is with the A1 bridge rectifier circut.During engine start up voltages can peak at over 400 VAC across the quad winding circuit.this can cause the diodes to short out wrecking the voltage regulator and stator.The fix is a fuse,3 amp 250vac time delay mdl-3 nsn 5920-01-322-6986.Install the fuse between terminal 8 of the AI voltage rectifierand the Q1 quad winding circuit.I will do this mod to mine before I use it.this is a great gen set it really is quiet and only has 32 hours on it.I paid 2,500 and think its worth it.hope this post helps someone from damageing a great gen-set.

m715

10 kw tqg pic

I am trying to learn how to post pic.My three kids all know how.Teaching a old dog new tricks kinda thing.The set is so sweet,came with two new optima batterys.It starts easily without using the intake air heater.It runs at 1800 rpm and is much more quiet than my honda es 6500 I have mounted inside a pioneer tool trailer.The guy I got this from has another 10 kw tqg.If anyone is near me MASS. I may be able to get it for you.I say may beacuse the guy was hurting for cash.If anyone knows what the diagnostic code reader thing is called or part # nsn etc please let me know.And thanks to the person who posted the info for army logistics library I now have the TM for this set.Thank you mark.

Bill W

RE: 10 kw tqg pic

M715
Thanks for the post, if you can post,fax or e-mail me any info ( PICTURES/Diagrams ) or where and how to install the fuse would be much appreciated. I have a MEP 003A with the sound kit and your right about how quiet it is ( my first one had no kit). I paid $2000.00 (delivered) for this one., it just turned 700hrs

Bill W

Ahh Crap!
MEP 803a!!! I can't read,
NEVER MIND! I'm sure the mod doesn't apply to my unit

ida34

I am pretty sure that tactical in generator terms means it has an acoustic enclosure and a very good muffler to make it more quiet then the normal gen sets. I know the gen sets we had in the artillery were anything but quiet or tactical. Then again if the enemy was close enough to hear our gen sets then something was horribly wrong. I was on the big guns. M198 155mm howitzers.

Tactical referes to any item or piece of equipment designd or intended to be used in a deployed or combat environment. With regards to generators a genset does not need to have a sound reducing kit installed to be tactical. They started replacing our gas burning sets with new "TQG" (tactical quiet generator) sets in the early 90s, shortly after Desert Storm.

ida34

And tactical would just about cover 85% of Army equipment. By your definition all generators are tactical if used by a combat arms unit. We did not call our gen set tactical sets but the ones with the quiet insulation and good mufflers were what we called tactical gensets.

Crash_AF

With reference to the MEP generator sets, there are two different meanings for Tactical. One is electrical and one is acoustical.

On the electrical side, tactical generator sets are frequency regulated by the hand throttle on the set, as load changes, the set does not automatically compensate. This is primarily used when the set is intended to provide power to lights, heaters, and other non-frequency dependent items. Precise units have an electrical governor installed which automatically compensates for load changes and keeps the frequency at a specific setting for commo gear and other frequency dependent equipment.

Tactically Quiet Generators (TQG) have acoustic suppression gear which helps to keep the enemy from hearing the set running at a distance. The 60 KW MEP-806 is quiet enough that you do not need hearing protection while standing next to it while it is running when all of the doors are closed. The suppression stuff does make it a major PITA to work on though. There are also Acoustic Suppression Kits (ASKs) that can be installed on the older MEP004 and 005 units. I'm hoping to pick up a MEP-004ASK unit soon if I can get the right price for it and if I do I'll post pics.

Later,
Joe

m715

10 kw tqg pic of fuse fix

this is my first time trying to post pics here.I am trying to show the in-line fuse between terminal 8 of the A1 voltage rectifier and Q1 quad winding circuit.simply put find terminal 8.wire#106b it is on the bottom left of the voltage reg.Snip off some wire ties so you can access wire 106b easier.Cut wire 106b about 6 inches from voltage rectifier.Install fuse holder.I used crimp on connectors with heat shrink tubing over connections.I hope you can see this in the photos.I also show some pics of one of my trucks.1967 m715 with small block chevy,also has the 1100-16 Tires.hope the photos show,it was raining here and I am no expert.

Attachments

I won't argue with crash af's definition of tactical asto "quiet", but you youngsters must keep in mind that not much was done with regard to sound suppression of gensets until the 80's or 90's. We did not see sound suppressed sets in medical units until well after Desert Storm, when our gas sets were replaced with new TQG diesel sets.

Crash_AF

Nice 715... I've always liked those.

My unit in Germany didn't get TQGs until 1995 I saw a few ASK units around before that, but they were few and far between.

Later,
Joe

USMC7502

Re: 10 kw tqg pic

m715 said:
I am trying to learn how to post pic.My three kids all know how.Teaching a old dog new tricks kinda thing.The set is so sweet,came with two new optima batterys.It starts easily without using the intake air heater.It runs at 1800 rpm and is much more quiet than my honda es 6500 I have mounted inside a pioneer tool trailer.The guy I got this from has another 10 kw tqg.If anyone is near me MASS. I may be able to get it for you.I say may beacuse the guy was hurting for cash.If anyone knows what the diagnostic code reader thing is called or part # nsn etc please let me know.And thanks to the person who posted the info for army logistics library I now have the TM for this set.Thank you mark.

I have been looking for an MEP-803 for some time. If he still has it could you let me know.

Jerry

nf6x

Feral Engineer
RE: Re: 10 kw tqg pic

I have an MEP-003A 10kW diesel genset, and I managed to find a NOS Acousitic Suppression Kit (ASK) for it. The kit quiets it down enough that it's no longer necessary to wear hearing protection near the generator, but it's still not quiet!

I'd love to have one of those TQGs, but $2,500 plus cross-country shipping would be too painful for me right now. Hmm, I wonder if anybody has one on the west coast and would like to trade it for one of the CUCVs I won in a GL auction recently... ;)

USMC7502

Re: RE: Re: 10 kw tqg pic

nf6x said:
I have an MEP-003A 10kW diesel genset, and I managed to find a NOS Acousitic Suppression Kit (ASK) for it. The kit quiets it down enough that it's no longer necessary to wear hearing protection near the generator, but it's still not quiet!

I'd love to have one of those TQGs, but $2,500 plus cross-country shipping would be too painful for me right now. Hmm, I wonder if anybody has one on the west coast and would like to trade it for one of the CUCVs I won in a GL auction recently... ;)
The cross country drive or shipping doesn't bother me much. I just really like them and wouldn't mind paying for one. My problem has been finding one.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Re: RE: Re: 10 kw tqg pic

USMC7502 said:
The cross country drive or shipping doesn't bother me much. I just really like them and wouldn't mind paying for one. My problem has been finding one.
Yeah, I didn't know that any had been surplussed out yet. Well, I'll let you have dibs on any east-coast TQGs! :D

JasonS

m715 said:
I just bought a MEP-803A diesel gn set.While searching the net for the TM and maintenace manuial I found a post on PS monthly of a promlem that both the 5kw and 10 kw tqg have.I am posting the info here for anyone intersted.The problem is with the A1 bridge rectifier circut.During engine start up voltages can peak at over 400 VAC across the quad winding circuit.this can cause the diodes to short out wrecking the voltage regulator and stator.The fix is a fuse,3 amp 250vac time delay mdl-3 nsn 5920-01-322-6986.Install the fuse between terminal 8 of the AI voltage rectifierand the Q1 quad winding circuit.I will do this mod to mine before I use it.this is a great gen set it really is quiet and only has 32 hours on it.I paid 2,500 and think its worth it.hope this post helps someone from damageing a great gen-set.
If the problem is exceeding the PIV of the bridge rectifier, why not replace it with a higher voltage one?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks