• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 Ton M125 Repaint

I just sat a read this from page 1 to 21. I will say that is is by far the coolest rebuild/restoration/post that I have ever seen. It has taken me a while cuz I keep getting stopped to feed my 5 day old daughter but she likes looking at it as much as me and will have a 10 ton of her own one day. I can only hope anyway. I will without a doubt keep tuning in to see how your progress is coming. It almost feels like this is a a rebuild of mine. just no where near as thourgh, neat, or dedicated. Thank you very very much for involving us and please keep us posted.

bassetdeuce

James and I visited the OP with his 10 ton project. He is definately a cool dude. [thumbzup] Seeing this thing in his shop was truly magnificent. His attention to detail is quite astounding, as is the size of these 10 tons. These things are HUGE. If there is a such thing as too big, these are it. Unless you need to haul a tank of course. M60. Mmmmm :drool:

zout

Dirt71 - you don;t need anyone to tell ya that was an awesome work of love - that is an awesome display of workmanship - great job anyhow for what it is worth.
I would have had a Cheshire cat grin on my face standing on those steps showing it off - but I do not like anyone taking my pic rofl

chaplain

this is an I don't know question. I see lot's of copper being used to plumb stuff.

Question 1

was that original and considered an upgrade.

Question 2

Would a stainless line worked too? Just wondering.

Question 3

was sand your primary medium for blasting?

thanks, great thread.

Dirt71

Copper is the original equipment. I would hate to think of the cost to replace it in stainless. Also the trouble of bending and fitting it, and yes sand is my primary medium for blasting. 30/65 grit.

Dirt71

Spent just about all day today pressure washing tires. Most of them proved to be a real pain getting the 50 yr old paint off. But the aresol version of aircraft pant stripper got the job done. I'm off to Germany on Tuesday, so mounting them will have to wait.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Spent just about all day today pressure washing tires. Most of them proved to be a real pain getting the 50 yr old paint off. But the aresol version of aircraft pant stripper got the job done. I'm off to Germany on Tuesday, so mounting them will have to wait.
EDIT: Should have paid more careful attention. I see now the stripper is what got the tires clean.

Last edited:

Dirt71

It's no secret that the 1400x24 tires are hard to find and when you do they are not always in good shape. So I spent a little time today trying do a little conditioning to these. In the end they turned out pretty nice.

Attachments