• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

100% used motor oil fuel.

54reo

Re: RE: UMO

maddawg308 said:
Around here, you can get as much used motor oil as you want, haul it away, no cost.
The local garages here want to charge for the stuff now. Used to be able to have them bug you to pick up the stuff, now they are playing people to be the "high bidder" on the price per gallon for WMO.

54reo

Re: RE: Re: RE: UMO

Recovry4x4 said:
Wonder who's wanting the stuff except us?
I don't know yet, although I am working on finding out who it is. I thought it may be a tactic to get me to pay for the WMO, but someone did pick up 250 gallons of the stuff in between my visits.

I do know that several of the large shops around here, (including the construction contractors) use WMO to heat their shops in the winter. Most of them don't have the storage capacity that I do though, and they used to get rid of most of it this time of year.

dm22630

Recovry4x4 said:

People that have waste oil furnaces.

And....keep in mind.....the more expensive fuel oil/electricity/nat gas/etc gets.....then the more scarce free WMO will be. You will definitely be in competition with everyone that has a waste oil furnace.

2cents

55Cameo

I haven't run into any problems getting WMO down here yet. Not to many people with oil heaters in Florida thank goodness. Every shop that I have inquired at will give it away with smiles on their faces.

davesgmc

Recovry4x4 said:
I just sold 300 gallons of WMO today at $1.25 per gallon. IT was sold to a local waste oil company. These guys show up weekly and make me an offer for the stuff and if its good enough I sell it. I asked where they were selling it and every guy that stops in says the same thing, they put in in a tanker car and send it to texas to a refinary. It gets treated like crude oil does and all the same stuff comes out of it pretty much. With the price of crude going high even the refiners are looking to other sources. Like WMO.

I alos used to ahve a waste oil heater in another shop. We would go to transmission shops and get the old ATF and burn that, it worked the best, the old motor oil worked good, but ATF was better. And even then, the heater was a pain in the arse! You ahve to clean it, check the burner and adjust all the time dependin on the temp of the oil that was going in it, the air temp etc. I would definately not suggest ever buying one unless you want to spend 1 hour of every day working on the stupid thing.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stretch44875 said:

On the smoke, there is no difference going down the road. At idle, a light blue smoke, ane if it's been run, no smoke.
Is that you running your truck on WMO in your avatar :wink: ? If so I belive you better check again for smoke :lol: .

dm22630

m16ty said:
Stretch44875 said:

On the smoke, there is no difference going down the road. At idle, a light blue smoke, ane if it's been run, no smoke.
Is that you running your truck on WMO in your avatar :wink: ? If so I belive you better check again for smoke :lol: .

That smoke is from a deuce burnout....I didnt know that they could do burnouts till I watched his youtube video.... :mrgreen:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
dm22630 said:
m16ty said:
Stretch44875 said:

That smoke is from a deuce burnout....I didnt know that they could do burnouts till I watched his youtube video.... :mrgreen:
Yea, I know. I was just "pulling his chain" a little :wink: .

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bunch of funny guys ehh? Don't do the burnout thing anymore, putting new tires on will do that!

Plan on towing the M108 to a show saturday, I'll see how the oil does then.

davesgmc

I put about 10 gallons of UMO in the 5 ton today, topped off the tnak with diesel it seemeid to run fine. Its actually a 6-71 detroit in it.

Somemedic

If you burn wmo for a long period w/ the cooler EGT's dont you expect more motor sludge and carbon build up? Maybe a cycle of wmo and watf?

cbvet

As I planned, I'm still running a 50-50 mix of unleaded gas & wmo filtered to 1 micron.
After about 400 miles, I've found:
1. Truck starts normally when cold. Normally about 1 revolution when starting.
2. Cranks 30 seconds before starting, once warmed up. That concerns me a little.
3. Truck runs strong.
4. Runs a little hotter. About 205 on a 80 degree day, no cargo, 45 mph.
When I use up this tankful, I'm gonna try a diesel/wmo mix.
Eric
CBVET

chuck500cc

I ran almost 90% WMO. I was lucky that my primary FF was as large as the final two. I filtered my WMO through a 3 micron fiter before going into the truck. What I found to be funny was that my FDC was bypassed but when I ran high ammounts of WMO and then went back to deisel the truck would have a long start problem. Meaning that it would take longer than normal on the starter to get her going. But when using WMO she would fire right up. Go figure and change your filers often.

Chuck XD Fan

Deuce_of_Spades

chuck500cc said:
I ran almost 90% WMO. I was lucky that my primary FF was as large as the final two. I filtered my WMO through a 3 micron fiter before going into the truck. What I found to be funny was that my FDC was bypassed but when I ran high ammounts of WMO and then went back to deisel the truck would have a long start problem. Meaning that it would take longer than normal on the starter to get her going. But when using WMO she would fire right up. Go figure and change your filers often.

Chuck XD Fan
What does "change your filters often mean? Once a month? twice a year? yearly?

Deuce_of_Spades

chuck500cc said:

Chuck XD Fan
What does "change your filters often mean? Once a month? twice a year? yearly?

sermis

halftrack said:
Can you dump used synthetic motor oil in the tank???
I have it in my truck. Maybe 50% synthetic or more of the WMO. No problems but I also have gas, jetA, diesel, ??? oil, etc.

Amxhunter

SpruceDeuce said:
ok, sounds good and i cant wait to go gather some used oil and mix it in with diesel to offset the 5$ a gallon diesel price

thanks for the info guys!
UMO - Dino or Synthetic ? Either ? Maybe it dosen't matter. I know the UMO places just dump it all into one tank. Problem is they also dump used antifreeze in the same tank.

Would that cause a problem ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks