• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1000 Mile Recovery

Floyd

Did it, and needed a pry bar to get my ass out of the seat on arrival. Just over 1000 miles from Portland, OR to Wrightwood CA. and it all went rather well. Replaced the battery’s in Portland, they were pretty far gone. The truck did start right up with a jump at Camp Withycombe in Clackamas.

12460.5 miles on the meter when I picked it up and it drives smooth. I thought something was wrong with the water temp cuz it never went over 180 hills or outside temperature. What an adventure. Got mixed up with a convoy in central CA, they all waved. I think all the truckers were laughing their ass’s off at the beast doing 50 mph in 100 heat and a bearded driver with green mouse ears.

Floyd :D :D

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Atta Boy, Floyd! [thumbzup]

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice trip. The engine might have been running cool, but that probably did not include the cab. I grew up in Littlerock. Nice truck!

Lee in Alaska

Deuce_of_Spades

Nice truck Floyd! I too got my first and only Deuce from Camp Withycombe just last month. It has been a dream to drive. No probs what so ever so far! Hope yours is just as fun as mine.

Bill W

Congrats
How many times during the trip did you ask yourself "What the heck was I thinkin!" My arse is still numb from my 1k trip and thats been 9 years :?

Mark3395

What a great truck, and your pics are wonderful. Neat to fall into the convoy too.

I suspect that truck was painted when I was stationed at Ft. Lewis in the early '70s. They set up a paint line at the Logistics Center and ran the whole 9th Division's vehicles through. Marked up the bodies with chalk and painted by numbers. In those days camo and CARC were hot stuff.

LibertyDeuce

Mighty Fine Truck, Floyd. Not to rain on your parade or boast, but my "Drive it Home Yourself" adventure was 1900 miles one way. Lucky the drivers seat was the new style "air ride". Would I do it again? In a blink of an eye I would.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Congrats on the successful recovery on a good looking truck! Glad you made it back safe and sound. No excuses now for not making it to the next desert trip!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking truck and I can't imagine much more fun than getting caught in the middle of a military convoy.

steve