• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

100DOLLARMAN's 1st Bobbed 5 Ton!!!

davidkroberts

this was actually on a 5 ton im not sure about doing this for a road truck or for one this big but it wouldnt be neat for a trail rig. when i get done bobbing my next big truck im going to have a rear springpack and an axle im not doing anything with might be something fun to tinker with. im going to have to see how it all lays out. everything is greek to me until i can see it and see how all the weight it pushing.

jesusgatos

If you want to build something like that, I would suggest removing the pivot assembly completely, and fabricating a new spring-perch/hanger/clampy-thing that would bolt to where the pivot/axle was bolted. You could probably even reuse the tube that spans the framerails and some of the other parts/pieces. Really though, I would encourage you to consider coilovers as an alternative. Packaging them might be kinda tight, but I'm sure we could work something out.

davidkroberts

The guy who did the tv show with the bobbed deuce used airbags like you were talking about. I have it DVRed at home. It was a pretty slick setup. He used the deflated airbags to load a suzuki in a fabricated bed. The kit was pretty slick.

Ill probably keep using the front end kit, why mess with something that works so well. Im still curious how the setup that guy used would work. ill probably fab something up just for fun when i get all those extra parts left over. Im not looking for anything street legal or anything just something too toy around with. i have to have it in front of me to be able to figure this out though.

jollyroger

I gotta say that Hundy has some REALLY nice trucks. I was just over there about a month ago. If anyone wants one that's the place.

Thankfully :roll: I'm centrally located in the country so it is a hike for me to go anywhere to get a truck. Hundy is about 1000 miles from me and the truck I just got in PA was 1650 miles away. Shipping is expensive. Driving the truck home just costs about 1/4 to a third of that. And some time. And if the truck is the "wrong" color I am sure some paint is not that difficult or Hundy could paint it for you.

BTW. If you want wheels or tires for your HEMTT Hundy's got em' at rock bottom prices. No need to look any further. That's where I'm getting mine to put on my M-817 dumper. Thinkin' about some for the tractor too.

100dollarman

I gotta say that Hundy has some REALLY nice trucks. I was just over there about a month ago. If anyone wants one that's the place.

Thankfully :roll: I'm centrally located in the country so it is a hike for me to go anywhere to get a truck. Hundy is about 1000 miles from me and the truck I just got in PA was 1650 miles away. Shipping is expensive. Driving the truck home just costs about 1/4 to a third of that. And some time. And if the truck is the "wrong" color I am sure some paint is not that difficult or Hundy could paint it for you.

BTW. If you want wheels or tires for your HEMTT Hundy's got em' at rock bottom prices. No need to look any further. That's where I'm getting mine to put on my M-817 dumper. Thinkin' about some for the tractor too.

THANKS, JR!

This M813 is SAVED! I sold it (again) today! It will get 6 new Goodyear AT2A 16.00-20 tires mounted on HEMTT wheels. I'll post a pic or 2 when I get the wheels/tires on it.

:grd:

91W350

That turned out really nice! I would love to park that one downtown and listen to the big boys cry...

Was that red Chevrolet with the chrome bumper lost? Glen

nhdiesel

To comment on the quarter eliptcal setup, keep in mind that in stock form those bogies help each other over larger bumps. When the front tire in the pair hits a large bump, the front axle goes up while the rear goes down. The springs only take up SOME of the bump. Clamp off the spring like in the pic, and you get a VERY hard ride. Remember that the springs are fairly short, which means little axle movement.

The actual design would work, but you would want longer, softer springs to do it with. That also means longer links. Doing all that gets it away from the cheap and simple solution, so you are back to other alternatives, such as bags/links, or full leafs.

Jim

NickAir

Several bobbed 5 tons done with rear hung on Deuce front spring packs. With 425 pounds of spare tire/wheel in bed it rides like my pickup. Perfect really.

The PIG Smith

I wonder if people are going to look back 30 years from now an ask WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

I say that all the time when a sporterized mauser or US Enfield crosses my path....back in the day people turned perfectly good military rifles into wannabe hunting rifles. ....makes me twitch...

I hope that the BOB does not equal the Sporter

That aside, the BOBs do look fun.
I think the same way about Full Size Jeeps (FSJ)
In the FSJ community, some folks take super nice, clean, rust free rigs and chop them up for hardcore trail rigs and then go out and bash them on rocks and trees.
It's their trucks and their $$$, so who I am to say anything?
However it makes me sad that there are a finite number of 'survivors' and destroying them robs the future of what they once looked like.

I will freely admit, that I am jealous, by me spending time and $$$ on a not so nice, clean rust free project to make it look good, when others take for granted what I desire and chop it up.

No matter how "I" feel, it is a free country and each person needs to do whatever it takes to be an individual.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks