• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DSD277

Attached is a pic of the aux/remote relay. As SC and I mentioned.

Before anything else, try a pigtail from the - side of the relay to chassis ground. This will bypass the thermo switch inside the starter.The thermo switch only opens the ground side with excessive cranking of the engine (overheating the starter). It " should" reset itself ( LOL). Once it fails, the rear plate of the starter with the thermo switch must be replaced ( as per the early TMs).
Unless you have a heavy thumb on the starter button, you don't need it. You can see the pigtail we added.... forget the 2 brown wires... they're pine needles.:lol:

Attachments

DSD277

The thermo switch can be a killer... as I said it is "suppose" to reset when cool... think of it as an automatic circuit breaker just before ground.;)
It's a protection to keep a driver from cranking until the batteries drain, or the starter burns up.
The military has to replace the starter when the thermo switch fails, we can bypass it

I don't know alot about the particulars of the trans, but wouldn't be surprised if the error codes were from disconnecting the front drive

I think you need to go to the BAE gift shop and get yourself a FMTV prayer rug . :mrgreen:

sandcobra164

DSD,
He doesn't need to visit the BAE Gift Shop any longer. These are manufactured and recapitalized by Oshkosh now. BAE was understandably upset when this happened and Stewart Stevenson has long been out of the picture on this family of trucks. I do appreciate the tip about the ground wire. Most of the time, I put a pig tail on the top post of the remote solenoid as I have forgotten too many times to hook that wire to the back plate of the starter. I honestly did not know that ground wire went threw a "thermal switch" in the back plate of the starter. I just figured it needed a ground and the frame is the easy way to do it. Thanks for teaching me something today!!! I'm glad Derricks truck has decided to act correctly for the time being and hope it continues doing so. I do feel I need to clarify one thing. My last post was somewhat misleading, I don't own an M1089, the GA National Guard owns it and I'm the lucky guy that gets to operate it and recover broke down equipment when we go out of town. I did have to change the starter out on it at a truck stop this last weekend though and I'm getting pretty good at that with these FMTV's. Pretty disappointing if you ask me, my truck only had 4,630 miles on it when I changed the starter. I've changed many on trucks with under 20,000 miles. I really need to read about the thermal switch issue but most of the bad starters I've replaced have been caused by a bad starter solenoid. The frame mounted one seems to be just fine.

DSD277

Sacrilege ! mentioning the "O" word in front of a SS... no wonder Derrick has had so many problems!:p

Since my truck was at another location during my rebuild, I planned my days in advance and had troubleshooted the next project well before I got to the truck and had a good idea of every possible problem before starting. Then ended each trip with determining what I was going to attack next and photographic the **** out of it and go through the process again. Starting issues were that way... it didn't start, so I went to the wiring diagram to see what SS did, where I found the thermo switch... didn't like the TM's answer, so made the one you see.:D

I also had the good fortune to talk to ex-SS employees that gave me several interesting stories of the first FMTVs off the assembly line, which helps to explain many things with the trucks:D... If I could get to Texas, I'd be in bars getting all the stories I could from those good ol' boys :D.

Oh, hadn't figured you own it, but was commenting that an 'in-service' truck had one SOP, while us poor people have to make due with our pocketbooks;)

sandcobra164

DSD,
If you spent any time in a National Guard unit, you'd understand why I'm so interested in your knowledge. Sure, I put a new starter on my M1089 this past weekend but "new" stuff is as rare as a hen's tooth when it comes to maintenance. I rebuilt the old one to put back in the supply chain. It only needed a new solenoid!!!

DSD277

To bring up an earlier issue. The factory was aware of the thermo switch on the starter and bad contacts with the plug. They'd unplugged them and spliced the wires together. Eliminating the thermo switch all togegher.
I haven't check my truck, but was told it is a plug on the back of the starter, near the bottom.... kind of like my solution, it didn't require to work near hot wires or a small area.:-D

So Derrick
The trans issue just cleared up?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks