• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

11:00 R x 20's on deuce/135 rims

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is my point, too!
Lee, I concur with everything you said, specially that “ real world” conditions are far from ideal regarding equal load distribution on bearings.
Let me just correct one detail: inner and outer races (cup) in our hubs are the same (3920), bearings (cone) are not. Inner brg. is a 3994, outer is 392. The Timken catalog shows a basic load capacity, dynamic, of 119 000 N for the 3994 and 89 500 N for the 392. In other words the inner bearing is about 30% stronger, good to absorb additional axial force and leverage while cornering!

Gerhard

houdel

Gerhard, I stand corrected. I was aware that the inner and outer races (cups) are the same and the bearings (cones) were different; I mistakenly assumed the difference was solely because of the different I.D.s of the cones.

Hmmm - the inner bearings (larger I.D.) have 30% greater dynamic load capacity than the outers - how do we adapt an inner bearing to fit it in the outer location and pick up some more load capacity? A hardened, tight slip fit sleeve to make up the difference in diameters? Then you'd also need a spacer to properly locate the modified outer bearing, and still have to seal that damn keyway - just a thought, probably not worth the effort though.

FSBruva

The ultimate question.... who's had actual, with-their-own-eyes experience with deuce bearings getting "killed" from running singles, M135 wheels or otherwise?

Matt

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a bad idea if it would pay for the effort…Would be some kind of a hardened sleeve only 2.4mm thick with a step, press fitted from the outside into the brg…. hmmmm.
I had something similar in mind, to replace the weak 392/3920 center pivot bearings for the rear suspension. :roll:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FSBruva said:
The ultimate question.... who's had actual, with-their-own-eyes experience with deuce bearings getting "killed" from running singles, M135 wheels or otherwise?

Matt
Good question!
All I can say is that during the last 3 years/20Kmiles of running 43" super singles on 20x11 wheels (10.5"backspace), I never had even a sign of premature wheel bearing failure. OK, most was driven on paved roads and not more than half of the payload.
Gerhard

Tony

I've tried to put a pic of my sandblasted , primed and painted wheels with new tires to show you guys, but there was no way that I could make it happen, so I have an other way, there are a couple of scuff marks on the rims from mounting the tires, I will touch them upafter they are mounted. click on this and you will see my handy work.

< http://1951-M-135.MyPicGallery.com >

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Looks good, Tony!

Tony

Ok Joel,
How did you do that? Guess you know something I don't,,got very frustrated so I gave up.
Can you share your "pearls of wisdom" with me? If you do ,I must tell you I'm not to sharp on computer savvy, need a step by step.
Thankyou

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
OK the following is what my above post with #*#*#*# in the middle to keep it from "working"

how's this tony?

I clicked on your link, then RIGHT clicked on the pic, click properties and copied the path to the picture from the dialogue box. I pasted the path into the forum, highlighted it and clicked on the Img button.
BTW I want those, but shipping them would kill me[/i]

houdel

M211 is the post WWII, pre M34/M35 GMC Deuce with duals on the rear, 9:00-20 tires all around, full width bed with a flat floor. M135 is similar to the M211 but with single rears, 11:00-20 rubber all around, a slightly narrower bed so it didn't look so funky with the single rears, and wheel wells built into the bed to accommodate the larger tires. The M211 and M135 were powered with a straight 6 GMC gas engine and automatic transmission, a little ahead of their time. I drove both when I was in the MA ARNG, they were still in service then!

BTW, I have a pair of M135 rims I'd like to trade for M35 rims if anyone in the area is interested!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks