• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

11x20 VS 395 offroad performance

rebel_raider

I agree. I don't plan on doing much, if any, offroading. I'm only looking to get away from bias ply tires, and something with a longer tread life, without getting a civilian tire.

tm america

ya go with the 14.5s you'll like the extra top speed to and singles make it easier to turn and are better in most situations .it will accellerate quicker and have a higher top speed with 14.5s then it does with 9.00s since 6 14.5s with rims are lighter than 10 9.00s with rims.

emr

tm america;515871......................................................................always remember to use unimogs for wheel chocks:beer:[/quote said:
Now there is one more thing we agree on,,,,,,,;-)...:-D...I have a good buddy who became a deuce freak in an Air Force radar unit...for many years around the world, and His talks about the manuvers in germany were, ' Those germans were all about how suprior there trucks were, except for it seemed to me...him...That every joint manuver there was a deuce pulling out a unimog in view or going by, just what he saw, I am in love with All Mvs, and should have kept that to myself I am sure, sorry in advance...:twisted:

Katch1

I've been watching this thread with interest, looking to change over to radials, but I'm getting mixed signals, if you use your truck off-road as in haul lots in the bed are the bigger radials something to look at, or should I be looking at 1100 ndt singles?
Been kicking this around for 3 years waiting to wear out my 900s
ndts in the winter are no fun, as has been stated, but the radials shold be better with more edges in the tread.
Chains are not really in my future, as it is illegal to drive on any road in Wi with chains, and I really don't want to chain up drive out and unchain each time

emr

Heavily loaded deuces are more stable with deuls. the 1100s are the way to go also, the stability can not be matched, singles do better off road, those are the basics and proven facts in the Aberdeen proving ground since WW1 ...But how good is good I guess, it is in the eye of the beholder how good that is...all the best...very very few will put these trucks as far into the muck as guys like TM do...:-D...but the cool factor also ways big on singles,With all that said i am still mostly a deul kinda guy, they fit my image...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't 69 MPH exceeding the speed rating on the 395s? Pretty sure it is on the 15.5 Pilotes.

emr

Guys are over speeding all the big tires it seems to me, sadly I have done it in my 925 until I realized how much speed change i had from the 1100s to the 1400s, man its like a solid 10 mph, i have slowed down drasticly, I dont do over 50, but im older now so its cooler to me...:roll:.. to be like the old saying , the young buck says to the old buck, lets run down there and nail one of those young does, and the old buck says, lets walk down and nail em all...:wink:

number9

Can anyone post some actual specs for tire wheel combos in this thread? I think that would be a great resource for those thinking about a swap and for future reference. It would be nice for someone to update the same post so all the info is together for easy viewing....... like

Tire / Wheel = 9.00 NDT / stock wheel
Height = xxxxx
Width = xxxxx
Type = bias ply
Tube = yes, xxxxx
weight = xxxx (tire & wheel)

Also, it would be great if some pics of each tire wheel combo mounted on trucks were included.

OK, thanks to all the info supplied in this thread I have decided to go with
14.5s and found a source that I can actually afford!

Seems to me that the 14.5s offer a good balance overall for my specific needs.

One question though, will a 14.5 spare fit in the standard location???

thanks for all the input from everyone.

DanMartin

will a 14.5 spare fit in the standard location???
Depends on the wheel you are using. I know the OD Iron wheels that I am using require a spacer block of about 2.5" to make it work. Sock A3 wheels do not require a spacer.

If you are mounting on A2 wheels (again, I strongly suggest you do not do this), you are on your own. :) If you figure it out, please post your findings.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tire Speed Ratings on tires are load related. If you load the 395s or 15.5s to the full weight they are rated to carry, run them down a desert highway when it is 120 degrees out, which can mean an actual surface temperature of over 150 degrees, then you had best stick to the maximum speed rating of 50mph or the tire will likely fail.

In Oregon in the summer, running my 15.5s down I-5 on a sunny summer day, at 90 degrees, my tire temperature never got over 110 degrees. Typically they run right at 100 degrees, and that is at almost 70 MPH.

Brakes, steering, yeah, I know. I don't drive that fast as a rule.

My point is that the tire manufacturers have built in a safety factor, and it has to take into account maximum rated load and maximum operating temperature.

If you decrease load and ambient temperature, the tires are capable of being operated safely at a higher speed than is stamped on the tire.

emr

You are correct in a safety factor, a 300 # rated extension ladder will fold way past 300, but as for the tire being built for highway speed and the max speed rated printed on the tire is only for 120 degree heat and fully loaded, is absolutly only an opinion. I agree the tires will and are handling more, but in an accident deaths or when high liabilitys may be involved anyone running a tire rated at 50 and was doing 65 or 70 is going to be hung period. And the type of tire we are talking about is an off road tire, I do not mean to be a fuss head, but I do not see any justification for high highway speeds, other than hey its my truck and im going to do it. ...I am not being a know it all ,its just that the speed rating is important. and is there for a reason,these tires have been tested and those ratings are important, If U go over it and it hits the fan That story will not work in court. is all im sayin, be careful....I would bet the tire wear factor when breaking the tire speedlimits is multiplied by alot also. just some thoguht, i really try to baby my stuff and not wear it out, that is just for me and my opinion...Randy

Last edited:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that is just for me and my opinion...Randy
I agree. You expressed your opinion, I expressed mine.

My opinion is that it is safe for me to run my Michelin radials faster than 50 miles per hour under certain conditions. No sense in arguing about it. It's just an opinion.

For example, Highway 50 in Nevada. I doubt any dire consequences beyond a speeding ticket will result from running a deuce with 395s or 15.5s on it at 65 MPH down that highway.

Not inviting nitpicking here. Yes, could blow a motor, hit a jackrabbit or cow or wild horse, could blow a tire and take a wild ride through the sagebrush. Likely? Not in my opinion.

Attachments

emr

I agree with u and it is safe. U have thought out your vehicle and what it can do and what u want it to do, I am for that, just another point of view, thanks for seeing it. i would ride with u anytime. I am a slow very slow driver though...:-D

pigpenkiwi

A lot if good info to take in a lot of food for thought im going to try 395 85 20s on mine on road and a lot of sand dunes this summer got a set given to me so well i give them a try first got to be better in sand than stock

mactiredearg

Hope you guys dont mind a 2-part follow up

1) what tire sizes have you run chains with? I know some people are not hot on them for offroad, but I need to know for legally mandated on-road use. There are passes here in Colorado where if you dont chain up you either sit (for days) or you get hit with a $1k fine.

2) What tire sizes have you managed to still load a spare in the original spare location? I assume 11.00R20s will fit and 395s wont, but what about the rest?

Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks