• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

-12* will the deuce start?

flyxpl

Without a block heater or something to keep oil warm if truck was not plugged in I would not want it to start in very cold conditions . A start up in very cold conditions with syrup as oil does not sound very good at start up and probably is not good . My deuces do not get run when it is below 30 , until I get block heaters on them I will just let them sit until it warms up .

So far we haven't hit negative numbers in DE....yet....

BUT, I've only ever had one time where the deuce didn't light off on the first try, and it was 19 degrees. Not to shabby when before this winter, the truck hasn't been driven for a long while till I got it :D

jamesonsdad

i use a drop light between the batteries and a heavy packing blanket over the engine then close the hood seems to work good -20 here this weekend ...i really need to install a block heater though...lol... my cucv is finiky to say the least

Out here in "Mamby Bamby Land'' (Sedona Az.) its been a brisk 30 in the morning, my 7.3 is never very happy to start, I can't imagine sub zero.
I only wish you folks in the cold midwest, block heaters and bed warmers:p When I left Wisconsin on Feb. 14th. 1984, for a warmer golf coarse, it was 12 below, I landed in Phx. Az. and it was 70, I've never looked back.

toddm

My only question is .....why? (as in why live there)
As Dittle said, this is where my job is and I have bills to pay also. I ask my wife every time it snows or gets real cold, why do we live here anyway? My Deuce is in storage for the winter, so no need to start it.

ODdave

Geeez, lot of 6ohs on here. Dont have any of those but i have a few dodge diesels and they start great at the coldest temps (w/o pluging in) ive ever encountered in MI. One of them sits for months at a time. I am really a fan of the heater grid system. How do you guys think a heater grid would work on something like the 6.2? as a replacment for the troublesome gp's?

Heavysteven

Love my 6.0 had to replace both batteries in December though. It's an 07 the last ones they made.

Oh my deuce starts fine in the teens with the flame heater. Who knows about -10 or below. I never want to be in that kind of cold.

ranchhopper

My 6.0 is one of the early junk ones its held together so far but we ordered five trucks when we went to drive them from the dealership to the shop two of them dropped a valve. As in one of the earlier posts the batteries are getting weak and the injectors ,intake manifold,EGR valve,intercooler were all replaced on my truck some of the injectors were replaced twice and they ask my why I stay with the 1008s and 1009s.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1 RPM? I'd say read the pubs and properly maintain your trucks. It will start.

fasttruck

The reason the 2.5 and up tactical trucks have their batteries mounted in boxes with those cute double bolt line terminations was to facilitate taking the ba.tteries into a warm storage area if the whole truck couldn't and then the warm batteries would have enough energy the jolt that cold diesel into rotation.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot of people seem to be hesitant to try to start their Deuce in cold weather. If you don't need the truck, then don't start it. However, we need to remember these are tactical vehicles designed to operate in all kinds of weather, including extreme cold. Properly maintained Deuces will definitely start in extreme cold if they are maintained and proper procedures are used. Deuces are notoriously easy to start due to the high compression.

Billy Bobbed

After 2 days not starting the deuce I went out in 0 degrees it started,after using the manifold heater and a little cranking.
It was -5 this morning.Never started it this cold before.I'm running gas and WMO in it to no diesel.

ODdave

My 6.0 is one of the early junk ones its held together so far but we ordered five trucks when we went to drive them from the dealership to the shop two of them dropped a valve. As in one of the earlier posts the batteries are getting weak and the injectors ,intake manifold,EGR valve,intercooler were all replaced on my truck some of the injectors were replaced twice and they ask my why I stay with the 1008s and 1009s.
last i knew they ALL had problems. mainly head gaskets due to the egr cooler failing. around 4-5k in upgrades and you got a nice reliable engine. :roll:

westechs_wifey

@ hndrson.....the trucks are well maintained.....its the cold weather here.....-35 is just straight up cold without a battery heater or anything to keep the cold off of the engine....:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks