• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12v- 24v question

Ronbo

I see a few post saying to buy a 24 to 12 volt reducer. I was wanting to put a sterion in my Deuce, Is there a problem with just pulling straight off one battery and using 12 volts from there( fused) ?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it will create an imbalance between batts and they won't charge right. Every once in a while for short spells and low current draw, no problem. Example, I picked up a deuce in TN. Drove it almost non stop to FL. Had a 400W inverter center tapped to one battery. Once in FL that sucker wouldn't start and no matter how long you ran it, it wouldn't charge. I had to pull it out and charge it separate and that fixed it

dburt

For low draw 12 volt items, you can hook up to the center cable that ties your two batteries together in series. Check it with a volt meter, you will get a 12 volt reading. Then you are drawing from both batteries. At least that is what Alex at Idaho Motor Pool tells me, and there is not much about miltary vehicles that he does not know.

bottleworks

Do a search on a "Battery Equalizer".

Pulling 12 volts off the lower battery is never correct unless you have a way to correctly charge them. Example: On a CUCV, you can pull off the lower battery because it has an alternator to charge each battery.

TommyG45

You can go off the center tap for a 12v load, watch your polarities. Low draw only for the very reason stated above. The correct way to do this is allow both batteries in series to equal out the current draw as stated. Voltage dividers / reducers are the correct way to go. Buy one or make one and be done with it.

Weren't you the guy that wanted to put a kicking system in ? Watch the total load of the stereo including amps. You may find your reaching the limits of the Deuce charging system @ 24 volts with a reducer.

I guess you would also have to define kickin.... Do you know the current draw of the system including the amp you want to hook in at 12v ? You may exceed the limit of the reducer. Don't know the specs of the one that Joe (I think it was) posted.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have one of Headwizard's units. They are real nice. Not only do they convert 24-12v, but they can be set up to maintain a 12v battery. WELL WORTH THE PRICE!

IronPig

I have a hydraulic dump bed kit with a 12v pump and have been wondering how best to run the 12v pump on my deuce as well. I know ideally I should have a 24v pump, but I'd like to use what I have if possible. A separate battery that can be charged off the stock alternator would seem to be an easy way to prevent problems.

Headwizard - will your converter work for charging a separate battery that sees this sort of load?

Thanks,

Lance

gimpyrobb

I have a hydraulic dump bed kit with a 12v pump and have been wondering how best to run the 12v pump on my deuce as well. I know ideally I should have a 24v pump, but I'd like to use what I have if possible. A separate battery that can be charged off the stock alternator would seem to be an easy way to prevent problems.

Headwizard - will your converter work for charging a separate battery that sees this sort of load?

Thanks,

Lance
You didn't state your load. (how much current, or amps)

Ronbo

Not sure of the load yet, still working on the heater , paint etc.. A sound system might be a few weeks.. Do they make a HD altnator/ generator for the deuce?

Ronbo

Cool, I have a place near by that rebuilds parts like that, I'll ask if they have it or can make one...
also I'll try and get you the pictures today... Thanks man!!!

IronPig

You didn't state your load. (how much current, or amps)
I have a pierce 10 ton dump kit (NIB). The motor on the pump looks like a starter motor but has no load ratings on it nor in the accompanying documentation for the pump. I imagine that it varies depending on the temperature of the fluid and load on the ram. I don't think this presents a problem if I'm running a separate battery to provide 12v power, as long as the converter can handle enough amps to charge the battery.

Lance

gimpyrobb

I would say "probably". Since it is run off electric and you could have a battery to help out with amp draw, I would say you should be fine. The converter puts out 25-30amps. If more of a draw is needed, the battrery can kick in. After the amp draw the converter would recharge the bat. i would use a "marine" type bat for that purpose. Clear as mud?

gimpyrobb

I don't remeber Kenny. It isn't cheap, but compared to the chineese crap and the flexibility of the unit, I couldn't pass on getting one. I'm sure Don will chime in here soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks