• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12v- 24v question

HeadWizard

Don, I have wanted this conversion for some time now. Could I pick one up when I see you Wednesday? Sure would appreciate it. Pete
Pete-

No problem. I've got as many as you could possibly want. $4,396.83 each, but I'll give you a big discount :grin:.

I'm considering going down to Richmond and meeting you Thursday. I've got a Ten 0 Nine to pick up.

Don

Hammer

Ok, I was mistaken in how I was describing the setup I was talking about.
The system needs to run with a 12v alternator. And it runs through a Series/Parallel switch.
http://www.zafr.com/trucktcom/parallel_sw.htm for a quick run down.
BUT, I don't think those are rated to keep running the 24v system. Only to intermittently power them for use with the starter, etc.
This would work if the starter was the only 24v item. But you would loose the gauges, etc (unless you ran a small 24v converter.

BUT, that is too much of a hassle, like already mentioned.
I think running the HMMWV alternator that has both 24v and 12v with a 3rd battery would be the easiest and simplest setup for high current draws for both voltages.

Sorry for the confusion guys. I knew there was a way to run both voltages. But I misses the intermittent duty cycle that comes with the series/parallel switch.

FreightTrain

Banned
I got one that puts out 10Amp peak 5 continuous for $35 on Egay......I was real hesitant to pay that much for so little power but I just wanted to run my tweeked CB in the deuce and a cell phone charger.

Rockfeild

battery help?

hey guys,

I just got my EUC form approved so its time to get my first deuce.
i am having it towed off base but then i plan on driving her back from Jacksonville to Tampa.
it says in the description in running condition but the battery's are low so i want to have good battery's to bring with me just encase.
can any one tell me what kind of battery's i need? some one said "yellow top Optimas"? so is that a group-34 threaded or an automotive post? single 24volt or two 12 volt battery's?
interstate battery says 225.95ea for their version of a "optima yellow top" i think an optima is about 169.99ea.
can i get cheep ass battery's from Wal-mart just to get me home just encase i don't end up needing the battery's Wal-mart lets you take anything back?
i guess what ever Battery's i get if i don't hook up the posts i can take em back.
Thanks in advance for the help.

AN/ARC186

I'm currently building a bracket for a 100Amp 12v alternator so I can run a dual voltage system on my beast. I've already wired in for 24 v and 12 v essential and non-essential bus bars and am storing the extra batteries in batt boxes in the tool box. (still have a lot of room left)
The idea is, I can run conventional equipment and not run down my main batteries.

AN/ARC186

Here are a few pics of what I've been doing, the red/white lights are secondary instrument lights from a UH-1N but they make great floorboard lights. The switches control the dome/floorboard lights, 24 VDC non-essential bus and 12 VDC non-essential bus. the circuit breaker is for the control power that feeds the switches and energizes the relays. The bus bars are marine grade. The amphenol connector is for feeding the dome/maps lights that I'm working on.The harness controls the relays and lighting. Dan

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't address generators because I have not done them, but that's a good option.

Here's what I did with a battery equalizer and have had no problem. There are notes and wiring diagrams to help. The article goes into more detail than most for adding 12/24V power, so it should be sufficient to help. Ignore the VIC-4 intercom part, it sort of ended up in the same page because I am a terrible webmaster and a mind full of convoluted thoughts.

http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/mil/m35/vic4/index.html

Here also are my 2 cents from experience:
If using a battery equalizer, note that it will probably draw a small amount of power all the time and eventually will run down the batteries. A solution is to use a double pole contactor with a 24V coil and have it switch ON automatically when the truck power is turned ON. The article details all this. (a 2-pole manual switch or breaker would also work)

At minimum I'd reccommend the military type 24V-12V conveter mentioned, and if its output voltage is actually between 12.6 and 13.6 volts, you can put a spare 12V battery there to handle your big surges. The battery will last for several years if the voltage is kept in that range, the only discrepancy on voltage is how much charge is in the battery, which will be immaterial for most purposes because whatever was taken out suddenly will eventually be put back in by the converter.

35 amps is enough to run a 200 watt RMS car stereo at full volume continuously. As we know, music volume is not continuous but consists of relatively low power levels with occasional big surges, so in fact you could operate a 1000 watt stereo off that if you wanted because the average power is lower and your added battery would take up the slack on surges (assuming the 24-12V converter has built in current limiting, and most do). Don't waste money on 1-farad capacitors.. use a battery.

The best and most expensive solution is a battery equalizer.

Unless you are running some high power sensitive equipment (not car stereos..), it won't matter what you use, as long as you either use a properly sized 24-12 converter or a battery equalizer.

For the main (between the battery and everything else) switch on your 12V system, a magnetic DC circuit breaker is the best solution. I have been using 100A ones for main switch, and then each piece of gear has one rated for that piece. Beats paying for fuses. You can also use house light switches plus fuses but they are soooooo tacky. I had a bus with those nasty things and first thing I did was rip them and the fuses out and put in mag's.

Finally, you will probably want to put a commercially available noise filter on your 12V line because the truck's electrical system is noisy (fuel guage, alternator, flasher, instrument panel and senders, heater motor) and some of the noise may be reflected in the 12V system.

Last edited:

Ronbo

Nice wiring arc186!! Nice work... Not slapped together.. A1...
Opcom thanks for the input, Is there a way to put this post ( thread ) in some archives? It has a lot of good info that will come in handy as I work on the deuce..
As time & funds permit I am getting the deuce fixed the way I want it... I did mount a battery tender on the back cab wall , used a hole saw to place a hole in the left rear cab floor with a rubber grommet so the cord can stay in place for an extension cord to be easly attached.. next is a voltage reducer fro a board member... FYI I am stripping out an 88 dodge ramcharger and it seems to have so good parts for the deuce, the transfer case shifter boot, the rubber grommets from behind the tail lights and the over-flow bottle all work great, Next I will see how the Bucket seats fit and door wheather stripping .... Thanks for all the info guys....

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For small loads, I like to use POL regulators (Point Of Load), simple linear voltage regulators, useful for CBs and that sort of thing, a few amps max.....

HSFDChief600

Well hello folks SS newb here with a 1st post. I have been reading this post about 24-12 and have some questions. We run a 1977 Duece at the fire department. We have emergency lighting and radio hooked to one battery which I know is bad karma for the batteries. We do have a plugged in 24v charger to the truck when it sits in the station. With this charger will it still compromise the 1 battery as stated in this thread. If so what would be a good solution to fix it? Thanks in advance

Westech

CPL
you should be ok.... really for the pain of changing it over to 12V or buying 24-12V converters its worth replacing a battery or two every couple years. Heck with you charging it when not in use it might be good to go. its not like your killing that first battery to 100% dead.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks