• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12volt conversion finished

choll

Well after months of trying to figure out why the front battery didnt charge, I did every check according to the TM's, I coverted the blazer to 12v. It was pretty straight forward. Only had to cut one wire. the rest of the wires were just taped up and then wire tied in an out of the way place. Its working great, I now have 14.75v at both batteries when the truck is running. No more hooking it up to a battery charger at night and I can use the truck at night on my long work drives.

It only cost me a total of $60. That was to rebuild a 12v starter that I had in the garage.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What runs off of 24 volt originally? The alternator and starter, but what else exactly?
The alternators are 12 volt. Only the stock starter is 24v. If you search you will find hundreds of post about this.

The glow plugs are 12v but use 24v to operate.

choll

I did use the rosscommon. It was to simple. I didnt expect it to start because I never get things right on the first try. The only thing that was diffrent from the instructions was the glow plug relay wire was not hooked uo to the big resisters on the fire wall it was hooked up to the 12v terminal on the fire wall.

midcounty

A M1009 that I just bought was converted to 12v, but the guy I bought it from bought an entire wiring harness from Painless and rewired the entire truck. I bet he would have liked to have known it didn't have to be that involved aua

True Knight

A M1009 that I just bought was converted to 12v, but the guy I bought it from bought an entire wiring harness from Painless and rewired the entire truck. I bet he would have liked to have known it didn't have to be that involved aua
Heck, better for you though!

This is a mod I will definitely do in the future.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks