• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

14.00 on stock rims?

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
The M35A2 wheels are too narrow and the rear tires will rub because the rear ends are too close together. The M35A3 wheels are wide enough but they won't solve the rubbing problem. Options are - relocate the rear end or get smaller tires. If you got the 1400 cheap you can sell them, make some $, then reinvest in a smaller size tires

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Trudge, they can work on your truck, but it will be work. I say that cause it looks like you are running duals in the rear. If you want to keep the duals, you will have to have a spacer made for the 1400s, even the bridge trucks used spacers. If you are wanting to run single 1400s have at it, I see no problems on a bobber.

MajesticSyntax

14.00 WILL fit on stock rims. I have one mounted as a spare for my truck. It has been used on the road and works just fine. I didn't mount all of mine on stock rims because I don't really like the way it looks and the split rims just make me kinda nervous.

KsM715

Ok we have determind (sp?) they will physically fit. Anyone running them ever experienced any problems with them? Tire damage, rings coming off? How long have you run them and how many miles? On and offroad? Im bobbing one this winter/spring and cant pony up for tires and rims.

Alredneck

Banned
They will fit! Pain in the arse to mount but it can be done!

Not sure about 14s but 395s on stock been running for 4500 plus miles with no probems besides a lil rubbing in turns and offroad. I seriously doubt once mounted the rings will just pop off. If it were to happen it would happen when inflating the tire after mounting. ( the only reason bing the ring was not in its track properly) Smack the rim with a good hammer to make sure everything is in its proper place and alignment!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, I'm running 395s on my stock rims too. I will be getting modded hemtt rims for mine, but only because I have them. 1400s are only a little bigger.

Trudge

yes i think ksm715 just ask all the right questions!!! cuz i run my truck everyday for work . but i want taller tires to cut some rpms down , i am switching to single rear wheel asap! I allso cant afford the rims until i recover from what ive spent so far ! but def need talller and radial tires asap!

Wolf.Dose

Let's go to the legal aspect besides the others!
Of course, 14.00R20 will physically fit on 6.5-20 rims. It looks a little bit strange only. But thats all.
However, neigther Tire and Rim nor ETRTO allow 14.00-20 on this rim size. Legally it must be a 9.0-20, 10.0-20, 10.00V-20 or a 10.00W-20 rim.
The other aspect is the brake performance. A brake designed to brake well with 9.00-20 tires (R static 479 mm) will loose quite some preformance with 14.00-20 tires (R static 581 mm), here about 20 percent performance!
In other words, the performance of the brakes must be redesigned. And that is a brake engineers job and nothing to be done at home.
Wolf
motor vehicle engineer and
officially recognized motor vehicle expert

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
. A brake designed to brake well with 9.00-20 tires (R static 479 mm) will loose quite some preformance with 14.00-20 tires (R static 581 mm), here about 20 percent performance!
In other words, the performance of the brakes must be redesigned. And that is a brake engineers job and nothing to be done at home.
There are different aspects of brake performance. If small and large tire systems both obtain the same rate of deceleration braking 'performance' will be the same. Stopping is a function of momentum (Mass x velocity) being converted to heat (friction at the brake shoe). If the big tire vehicle is roughly the same mass, goes the same speed, has the same drums, traveled the same distance..it will create the same heat as the small tire system. The difference is in the pedal force. Similar performace would seem to hold true If both systems have pedal forces that can reach the point 'up to' skidding the tires.

If the increased pedal force is tolerable (say the bigger tires can still be skidded, loaded, on dry pavement), I'd guess they might even offer a performance increased due to larger sliding foot print.

I have no idea if the stock system has the capacity to lock-up stock highly loaded tires (dry pavement), but I think this would be the engineer's goal.I also have no idea if 1400 are somthing that can be locked up with stock brakes(can anyone chime in?). If the bigger tirer system can't then I can see there would be a performance difference (example -longer stopping distances). At other times I can see pedal force becoming a factor during brake fade.

Cargo is a performance factor. The brakes should have been designed for a maximum load, perhaps even an overload. A unloaded truck, like how many are run here, will have a big performance advantage over any loaded one, perhaps here are greater gains than the losses that may (or may not??) be created with large tires.

Bobbing would seem to be an example of at home re-engineering - 2 less drums, a lighter vehicle, reduced cargo area... Maybe some members can comment how their bobbed truck's brake work?

feets

You've missed one key point in your thoughts. Rotational inertia.
Those moster tires are HEAVY.
Heavier wheels and tires take more effort to stop. Period. End of sentence. That is governed by the laws of physics.
Picture yourself holding a ten speed bycycle wheel with your hands. Have a buddy spin the tire while you hold it by the axle. It'd be fairly easy to grab the tire with your other hand and stop it. Try that with the front wheel off a motorcycle. I bet you lose some fingers.

Bettery yet, roll a 9.00 - 20 tire down the street and stop it by hand. Now try that with a 53" tire. I bet you'll get hurt when that beas mows you down.

Rotating mass is a killer. It takes serious brakes to stop the big stuff. Independant testing showed a 40' longer stopping distance when a Chevy Suburban was upgraded from 16" wheels and tires to a set of 22" wheels and tires. No other changes were made to the vehicle.
The Deuce appears to be a bit lacking in the braking department. Bolting on some killer monster tires will do them no favor at all. It looks awesome but the brakes are going to surrender much quicker.

Last edited:

Alredneck

Banned
Umm, 1st, 11.00s are authorized in the TM for use on these trucks. ( it was done by the .mil and look it up if you disagree ) So that being said there is only about a 3in longer radius differance between 11s and 395s. Also for the weight issue, you are putting singles on which do weigh alot more to one 9 or 11r20 ( yes 11s and 11.00 are the same ) but the deuled out 9s and 11 ( definitly the 11s ) weigh equla to or prety dang close to one super single with rims of course. So the only axle that is actually doing any more break work would be the front. the rears should still be with in there max weight stopping power. None of these trucks were designed to meet DOT regulations, so those legalites only apply to those so worried the .gov is goin to screw them over. I dont worry about it and of all the miles I have put down have never been messed by a DOT officer beside to talk about the truck. Go figure. Apoc with 395s on the highway has hauled 5ton of gravel in the back, yes it take a lil longer to stop but these things are slower than christmas so why be in a rush to do anything when in one. If you do a panic stop guess what you shouldnt been tailgating in the first place. DUH! Over all I like the nig meats and the pros far out weigh the cons, but this is my truck do what you want and worry about what you want with yours!:idea:

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
You've missed one key point in your thoughts. Rotational inertia.
Those moster tires are HEAVY.
Thanks for bringing that up feets

<cut> but the deuled out 9s and 11 ( definitly the 11s ) weigh equla to or prety dang close to one super single with rims of course. So the only axle that is actually doing any more break work would be the front. <cut>!:idea:

I can add bigger tires will be turning slower, given the same speed.

Also, those big tires are usually not rated for 65MPH.

Many might not know that the TM states a Max speed of 45MPH with max payload and max towed load. (9-2320-361-10, page1-17)

Alredneck

Banned
Yes thats what the TM states, that why I stated it your truck do with it like you like, mine I will do the same. In the end we are responsible for our own actions, be prepared for what may happen.

Also when the TM was originally written what 40+ yrs ago. 55mph back then was fast! Im not sure what the exact mph is for newer radials. But rest assured even the .mil runs them faster than 65mphs.

? You always going to follow what ya read!:-D

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
The 14.00 x 20 Goodyear AT-2A radials on my 5t are labeled 55mph max. Oh, There is a stencil on the inside door 40mph Max hiway

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks