• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

14.00 on stock rims?

Wolf.Dose

You do not have this marking in the states due to the speed limits. However, if you have European tires, speed is give by the speed index according ETRTO. F equals 80 km/h, G equals 90 km/h, J equals 100 km/h, K equals 110 km/h. Higher speed indices for trucks are NOT available for Off Road tires. The next is the Load index.
Modern 14.00-20 usually have 160F or 164F or G wich means they are legal for 9 metric tons axle load (160) or 9.5 metric tons (164). I you reduce the load by for example 10% you may extend the maximun speed at the pressure for the maximum load by 2%. More than 5 % speed extention is not legal, even with a load reduction of 30%. If you do not care for this, you are fully responable for what you do. No insurance will cover that risk.
Brake performance: Even military trucks were made at least to the minimum brake requirements of the time of their manufacture. And DOT does not test them, the manufacturer states the confirmation with the requirements. That is the system in the states.
And think about the following: After modifications in case of an accident the attorny-general will not ask for requirements of the late 40's, they refer to the actual requirements.
I'm able to recalculate brake systems, for I studied that. I would not take the risk to change 9.00-20 to 14.00-20 without propper brake modification. Pedal force is not all. And the trucks are not really on the safe side for nowadays understanding. They have a single circuit system only!
Wolf

SasquatchSanta

I'm occasionally asked about the wheels on my truck and where a set can be purchased.

My wheels are 11" wide (inside to inside) and both the original 1400s that the truck came with and the 395/85R-20s that are now on the truck look like they were made for the wheels. It is my belief that stock deuce wheels are 6-1/2" wide. Is this correct??? If so I can't imagine running 1400s or 395s on 6.5 wheels.

Does anyone know what wheel width is recommended with 1400s and/or 395s?

I'm often asked by people that are interested in building a deuce bobber where wheels can be purchased. Before recommending running stock wheels I would like to feel comfortable that stock wheels are safe.

I read through some of the other threads on wheels before posting here and couldn't find what the width is on special wheels that are being offered.

Thanks in advance.

I remember reading that the Michelin 395/95R-20s are rated for 68 MPH.

100dollarman

I was thinking the stock wheels were 7.5"...

We also sell converted HEMTT wheels that are 10" wide, but if you want to cheap out and use the stock wheels it can be done. I use new 11.00 or 13.00 tubes in them, and have no issues so far (probably about 50 14.00 on stock rims in the last couple of years).

Here is a pic of the lastest---

Attachments

SasquatchSanta

I was thinking the stock wheels were 7.5"...

We also sell converted HEMTT wheels that are 10" wide, but if you want to cheap out and use the stock wheels it can be done. I use new 11.00 or 13.00 tubes in them, and have no issues so far (probably about 50 14.00 on stock rims in the last couple of years).

Here is a pic of the lastest---
Thanks for the come-back 100dollarman.

I'm thinking that the 395s are a little wider than the 1400s. Have you had any experience putting 395s on stock rims?

The Janiter

Guys; every one is forgetting the fact that this truck was designed for a load of 2 and 1/2 tons payload - brakes and all - so if you BoB or not - tires are a mote point when you are unloaded.

It was made to stop a load of - X - with NO load it still stops the weight it was designed for. tires don't add 2.5 tons - just rolling resistance and that takes a calculator and engineer.

Change the wheel and tire with no extra load and you still have the stopping ability of a 2.5 ton truck , truck 13200-13400K lb. - load capable 4500lb.- DUH

Does any one believe that tires over size eat up 4500lb. of braking.

A margin of error was built in to this truck and every other vehicle ever built for a reason. "Human Error"

SasquatchSanta

There are different aspects of brake performance. If small and large tire systems both obtain the same rate of deceleration braking 'performance' will be the same. Stopping is a function of momentum (Mass x velocity) being converted to heat (friction at the brake shoe). If the big tire vehicle is roughly the same mass, goes the same speed, has the same drums, traveled the same distance..it will create the same heat as the small tire system. The difference is in the pedal force. Similar performace would seem to hold true If both systems have pedal forces that can reach the point 'up to' skidding the tires.

If the increased pedal force is tolerable (say the bigger tires can still be skidded, loaded, on dry pavement), I'd guess they might even offer a performance increased due to larger sliding foot print.

I have no idea if the stock system has the capacity to lock-up stock highly loaded tires (dry pavement), but I think this would be the engineer's goal.I also have no idea if 1400 are somthing that can be locked up with stock brakes(can anyone chime in?). If the bigger tirer system can't then I can see there would be a performance difference (example -longer stopping distances). At other times I can see pedal force becoming a factor during brake fade.

Cargo is a performance factor. The brakes should have been designed for a maximum load, perhaps even an overload. A unloaded truck, like how many are run here, will have a big performance advantage over any loaded one, perhaps here are greater gains than the losses that may (or may not??) be created with large tires.

Bobbing would seem to be an example of at home re-engineering - 2 less drums, a lighter vehicle, reduced cargo area... Maybe some members can comment how their bobbed truck's brake work?
I have no problem stopping. I've never had to lock it up but I'm sure I could.

I feel there is ample offset to having large tires, in my case 395/85R-20s, on a bobbed deuce simply because these trucks are hobby horses. Other than occasionally hauling a loaf of bread and a quarts of milk I don't load mine. Even if I did, because of reasons stated earlier about the brakes being speced for max load I don't feel there would be a problem. Having said this, I give "everyone" a wide berth. I don't want to rear end someone because I was following too close. I'm also conscious of having to lock up and getting sideways.

tm america

they will fit i have 15.5s on my stock rims.with a wider tire on the narrow rim you dont have to worry about the rings coming off the problem is if you need to get one off after a flat good luck.the tire locks the ring in big time .i would think 14.00s would go on stock rims alot easier than 15.5s or 395s since they are narrower and have more sidewall to flex so the rings should go on easier.but they are not rated for those rims and if you do it you will be doing it at your own risk:roll:i have put 2000+ miles on mine since i put the 15.5s one there only one flat from running over a screw

tm america

100dollarman i like the looks of those 14.00a on the stock rims looks like they sit with the threads flat on the ground.do they give you a full contact patch on those rims:?:.i kind of like having narrower rims on a mud truck since it uses the side lugs more in the mud and gives you better mpg when on the street due to less resistance .

100dollarman

100dollarman i like the looks of those 14.00a on the stock rims looks like they sit with the threads flat on the ground.do they give you a full contact patch on those rims:?:.i kind of like having narrower rims on a mud truck since it uses the side lugs more in the mud and gives you better mpg when on the street due to less resistance .

Pretty much a good contact patch- I still need to adjust pressure in that pic- there, they have 50psi in front, and 80psi in rear (too much)

They also surprisingly steer easier than the 9.00 NDTs. But thats on a bobbed truck.

tm america

going to 14.00s from 9.00s will drasticly reduce braking ability .bigger tires act as a lever to overpower the brakes .just think of the difference in using a breaker bar vs a short ratchet. it is a multiflier . think of how much better a vehicle stops with one inch bigger diameter brakes .then think if you reduce the ratio of the brakes to the size of the tire . :roll: