• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

14.5 xl rear tire harmonics

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What if I were too lazy to build a nice one like in post 17? Could I just hack off an axle tube and mount it up in the air, then balance the hub? Would that work in a similar fashion?

;)

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With a stock axle/spindle/bearings/hub -setup you will only get close to good results, at the most.....!

Hey Gimpy, I'm kind of lazy too...:smile: But in this case a little extra-work is needed. The internal drag/ resistance to spin, for two large, tapered roller bearings - even if brand new and oiled only - is just too high. We have to have the hub running on smaller, single row ball bearings if we want this to detect even minor unbalance issues, down to ±¼ oz at 20" from center, or ±½ oz at 10", which is more or less where the weights are placed.

G.

Last edited:

peashooter

What if I were too lazy to build a nice one like in post 17? Could I just hack off an axle tube and mount it up in the air, then balance the hub? Would that work in a similar fashion?

;)

Gimp- I made something similar Gringeltaube's. You are welcome to borrow it if you like. I can unbolt the bearing plates I made from my balancing hub and send them to you if you want to cover shipping. The plates have a shoulder boss that will align them with the hubs. here is a link to my setup. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?74670-Balancing-Tires&p=1263962&viewfull=1#post1263962