• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

14.5 xl rear tire harmonics

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What if I were too lazy to build a nice one like in post 17? Could I just hack off an axle tube and mount it up in the air, then balance the hub? Would that work in a similar fashion?

;)

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With a stock axle/spindle/bearings/hub -setup you will only get close to good results, at the most.....!

Hey Gimpy, I'm kind of lazy too...:smile: But in this case a little extra-work is needed. The internal drag/ resistance to spin, for two large, tapered roller bearings - even if brand new and oiled only - is just too high. We have to have the hub running on smaller, single row ball bearings if we want this to detect even minor unbalance issues, down to ±¼ oz at 20" from center, or ±½ oz at 10", which is more or less where the weights are placed.

G.

Last edited:

peashooter

What if I were too lazy to build a nice one like in post 17? Could I just hack off an axle tube and mount it up in the air, then balance the hub? Would that work in a similar fashion?

;)

Gimp- I made something similar Gringeltaube's. You are welcome to borrow it if you like. I can unbolt the bearing plates I made from my balancing hub and send them to you if you want to cover shipping. The plates have a shoulder boss that will align them with the hubs. here is a link to my setup. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?74670-Balancing-Tires&p=1263962&viewfull=1#post1263962

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks