• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

14R20 Tires On MTV

ramdough

A little Googling and I found this... http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m1083.htm. Based on these dimensions it's around 54" C-C. That leaves around 8" between tires.
So, I have seen those specs. How did you derive your number? The wheel base dimension is between the two rear axles. The over all length extends past the rear tires. I did not see a combination of dimensions to get me that result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebuilder

So, I have seen those specs. How did you derive your number? The wheel base dimension is between the two rear axles. The over all length extends past the rear tires. I did not see a combination of dimensions to get me that result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I cut and pasted the drawing into a 2D CAD program and scaled it up. Once scaled up I got the full size dimensions (relatively close).

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
WHY do a lot members WANT to go FAST in a military truck that is NOT designed to go fast on tires that DO NOT have the speed rating to go fast ?????.
73m819-

I would like to use the FMTV for commercial purposes. The FMTV was designed virtually identically to any well-built heavy-duty commercial vehicle in the world, and NOT specifically as a military-only vehicle, hence its enhanced level of comfort, reliability and performance. Both S&S and OshKosh have built thousands of production vehicles on the MTV platform with high-speed gears that deliver 72+ MPH so the platform and all components have been well-vetted. I use only Goodyear MVT's with a speed rating at full load capacity of 81 MPH.

But this is a post about 14R20's on an LMTV...

Thanks
This is a post about military tires on a military truck.

The REASON I posted what I did. The lmtv is rated at 55mph, it is NOT a civi built truck so civi ratings DO NOT APPLY UNTIL someone can SHOW the documentation that a lmtv series was tested and RERATED for civi speeds, UNTIL then no mater what anybody says or does, once over 55mph the military lmtv is being used OUTSIDE its rating and no matter how many trucks both S&S and OshKosh have built for the CIVI world, the lmtv IS NOT a CIVI truck, the TWO ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT TRUCKS with DIFFERENT DOCUMENTATION, once you operate ANY VEHICLE over its intended rating, NO MATTER what happens, the driver of the over rated is libel because there is a good chance that the event would not have happened if the vehicle had been operated inside its rating envelope.

"I use only Goodyear MVT's with a speed rating at full load capacity of 81 MPH.", if this is a military tire, WHERE on the tire does it show a speed rating of 81 mph, then where is the 81 mph rating on the military truck that it is going to be used on. A civi tire of this size may be stamper with 81 mph but I doubt you will find a military tire stamped with a 81 mph speed rating.

So it STILL amazes me that people want to go FAST in a military truck on military tires where neither are not rated for FAST, BUY a civi truck MADE and RATED to go fast, but again people know better then the design engineers, so they are cheap and buy a cheap military truck and make it civi fast, part of the price of a CIVI truck IS the CIVI SPEED RATING for the truck AND the CIVI tires.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I do sort of dislike that fact that at 55mph the Lmtv is revving around 2500rpms. If I could do 55 at say 2200 rpms I think it would be better for the engine.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
55 is a civi speed rating, so is 25, and 10 as well. Have you ever exceeded the speed limit? These are set on standards to keep people safe, but without a doubt I bet you have once or twice. Every vehicle made can exceed the posted speed limits on some roads, but we don't limit all the vehicles to the lowest speed limit. So the dangers of having a truck capable of going over 55, (FMTV is rated for 58, some tires limited to speeds of 55) are no more dangerous than your car that can do 90+. The danger comes in when you exceed the limits. I will say again I'm installing high speed gears to lower the rpms at 55, this is to reduce wear, increase MPG, it also brings the transmission ratios in to a speed range where they were designed. I for one would not want to be in the FMTV doing 81, I also don't want to run 2600 rpm at 55.

Anytime you exceed limits you assume assume risk and liability. From speed limits, safe driving distances (tailgaters)tire ratings, corner speeds, and all the rest. I challenge anyone reading this, if they have any trailers to go look up the speed rating on the tires. Many trailers have biased based tires with 55mph speed ratings. I know this after towing boats up and down the west coast as part of my job.

Its not always about going faster.... and in the event of an accident and one was exceeding equipment ratings it provides the law one more reason to hammer you as well as a reason for your insurance company to not cover you.

Back story on tire speed ratings has a lot to do with heat buildup, higher speeds higher heat, heavy loads equal higher heat as well. Heat destroys tires.

dronsen

Sorry...no more photos...it's not my truck. It is a photo of one of the few SD Brazos' manufactured. The contraption behind the cab is the DEF system for the Cummins engine.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I was going to put 1400s on my m1078 but cant find a good newer set of tires. All the ones I find are 2010 and older. Already 7 years old. Cant find anything actually new or close to it.

scottmandu

I was going to put 1400s on my m1078 but cant find a good newer set of tires. All the ones I find are 2010 and older. Already 7 years old. Cant find anything actually new or close to it.
Tires aren't sold surplus until they reach 3-4 years old...

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Thats what im thinking. Such is life. I have a nice new set of goodyears on my truck now that I put together from multiple trucks. Unless a newer set of 1400s come along I will have to stick with those.
Will

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks