• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

15.5 spare on deuce (pics)

tm america

Yes the tire is still aired down . It would probably rub if aired up. You could mod the tool box a little more than i did and shim the spare tire carrier out that way you could have it aired up while under there.i am gonna finish moding mine when the weather gets nicer.But for now it gets the job done and the truck has a compressor to fill it back up if needed so i'm not to concerned right now

rwoods

Nice job! Can't believe you made it work! But I don't see anything safe about lowering a 400lb tire with that contraption:cookoo: Sounds like a good way to get knocked out;-)
Speaking of dangerous, an M35A3 tire and wheel weighs 379# and a lot of A3's have bent crankshafts because the re-engineered mount doesn't provide quite enough clearance for an inflated spare.:cookoo:

Billy Bobbed

I wish I read this first,I did everything you did TMA but relocating the lug holes on the mount.I had it all bolted up and thought I had it by the a*s and noticed it hitting the E-brake drum.I'm going to redrill the lug holes on the mount and hopefully call it good,will see tomorrow.TMA is your mount still holding up.

Last edited:

tm america

Mine is holding up awesome.I was watching the tire drag the side of one f the holes I just went through at Haspin thinking **** that spare holder is tough wow.I put a new cable on mine just to be on the safe side

Billy Bobbed

Well I finally got the spare on my bobber.I made a 2" slit on the cab side outward.And all I did on the other side I cut a 1/4" steel plate to go over the big lugnut hole,and turned the lugnuts the other way with flat side down.And I did cut the tool box brace lip,and aired the tire down.I think the best tire to use is a 1/2 to 3/4 worn tire for more clearance for the tool box and E-brake.And yes I need to get a new cable,thats next.

Attachments

Last edited:

AZDeuce

Well after almost 3 years, I FINALLY got around to doing this modification, I pulled my mount off the truck took it to work, and elongated the slots with a plasma cutter, so I could rotate the tire towards the outside of the truck away from the parking brake drum.

Tm america was correct, there is only about 1/2" of clearance between the spare, and the drum.......it worked, but made me nervous.

I had some scrap aluminum, that I cut to the same size as the back of the mount. they were about 1/4" thick so I made four
plates, and marked, and drilled the holes.

I found 4 Grade-8 bolts long enough to support everything in one of my spare nuts and bolts buckets. So except for my time/labor there was zero expense.

I put the mount back on the truck with 3 spacers, between the mount and the frame, to move the mount outwards from the truck about 3/4"

Once everthing was properly cinched down, it was time to hoist the 395, and see if I had gained some extra clearance

When I first installed the 395, like tm america, I let the air out of the tire to help get her in place. It did help.

But I noticed a gap between the tire and the rim that had gotten small pebbles/debri in it that would cause problems later on when I had to use it, and air it back up.

So I aired the spare back up enough to close the gap, probably under 5 LBS PSI. I still had the 1/2" clearance between the spare and the drum, so I called it good.....for now.......

.....So with the spacers now in place, I hoisted the tire up to the mount, WITHOUT airing it down, and got it in place, then pulled it out toward the outside of the truck, I then tightened up the two nuts to hold the tire in place on the mount.

My rear 395s are mounted dish side out, as I didn't bother to flip the hubs, and I like the look. I have over an inch and a half clearance at the mid-axle tire, and at least an inch from the drum.

I now have plenty of clearance everywhere, except the tire is up against the tool box, but I can live with that. And now I have more usable bed space.

Wish I'd have done this years ago! Thank you tm america for your pioneering efforts in this area, for I would have never thought you could fit a 46" tire in a 39" tires spot.

But you CAN!

The reason I didn't put all 4 spacers in, was that I didn't think my bolts would be long enough, but they are. Maybe at some point I'll add the 4th spacer, but it's a lot of work, and right now I see no need for it.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a question for those of you with bobbed deuces who are modding the spare tire carrier for larger tires:

With the extra clearance to the rear after lengthening the wheel base, what prevents you from moving the mount back a few inches to clear the PB drum and tool box?

There must be some reason, but I do not have a vehicle nearby to look at.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks