• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

15 minute rule - flustrating

jason@snakeriver

I just (dec 17, 2009) purchased one of the 14 dump trucks in Utah. I am very upset after putting up with the 15 minute rule.
The counter actually got down to "0" when it reset with a higher bid and a 14 minute extension. Soooooooo you sit and wait and of course someone bids again and extends the auction.
This is all understandable, but a big waste of my time. Either do like Ebay - give it your best shot and end the darn thing. Or if you are going to play the game of extending, shorten it up to either 10 or better yet 5 minutes.
We had to sit around for an extra hour wasteing my valuable time.
I understand that this maximizes the return to the Govt. But it ticks off the buying customers.
Tom @ Snake River

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate it also but what ya going to do. It's their game and you have to play by their rules if you're going to play.

KsM715

Ever been to a live auction? see the auctioneer when he knows "the other guy" is gonna bid. If he thinks it might get another bid he's gonna give him time to think about it.

You gotta play the game if you want to win the prize.

kc5mzd

If the 15 minute rule gets to you, the rest of the process will have you climbing a tower with a gun.
:cookoo:

If this is your first GL EUC purchase you are in for a real treat. You might get your truck in about 3 months or so. Then hope it isn't guted. Then hope it isn't lost...

acmunro

Thats the way to do it stumps - Figure out what it is worth to you - bid that amount - if you get it for that or less - good you didn't over pay. If it goes for more than what it is worth to you - still good because you know you didn't over pay - someone else did.

jason@snakeriver

I have been on this merry-go-round several times before. This will be my 6th M-800 series truck.
I do agree with the theroy of throwing out your highest bid and walking away.
However in this case, I wanted to go home with a truck. This looked to be a "fleet reduction-sellout" in Utah with 14 dump trucks being offered.
I found that this is the best time to buy a truck as most are in good shape vs one or two being offered that are damaged.

My experience with GL has been favorable, except for the guy in Barstow which was of no help at all. There has been the usual hangups with EUC's ect..
The bidding stalled at $3,310 at the close, and then an hour later turned out to be $5,250. Not a bad price, but, hey, lets get over the drama of dragging it out.

todds112

I know what you mean. I got outbid for like $25.00 on one of the lifted CUCV Blazers. I couldn't just sit there and bid on it in small increments (actually had to do some work at work). Oh well. Hurts more to get outbid by $25.00 than $2500.00.

Jason, is that the tank on display in St. Anthony?

stumps

Being a veteran of DRMO and GSA live auctions, I find the GL auctions to be a great time saver. Here's what it used to be like:

First, you subscribed, by snail mail, to the auction sheets for the various bases that were within a geographical area of interest.

After you got the sheets (always torn half to shreds by the post office) you went through the cryptic descriptions, and decided if anything was at all of interest to you. If anything was, you hopped in your car and drove out to the base to take a look. Usually, stuff was in a dimly lit warehouse, so you had to bring a flash light. Digital cameras were nonexistent, so you might bring a Polaroid... but probably not, because film cost a buck a picture, and that was pretty expensive. After you were done, you drove back home.

On the day of the auction, you got up really early, and drove back to the base, registered, were given a paddle, and were sent off to a smoky unairconditioned room full of folding metal chairs, and short fat toothless balding men that looked like your uncle Ernie... Smelled like they lived in their truck...

The auctioneer came in, and proceeded to work his way through all 653 lots, taking a couple of minutes for each. Since you were tired already, the sing-song droning on of the auctioneer put you to sleep, and you almost missed bidding on a couple of the lots you wanted.

You either won, or lost, usually lost, and because you were too cheap to bring your truck with you, drove back home, only to return within the 7 day pickup window.

When you drove back with your truck, and $3000 in cash (Credit cards? What are they?), you got to meet your prize only to find that it had been looted of various parts, and later on, the DRMO forklift operator hit your truck and caved its side in... Whoops! Remember, we're not responsible for vehicles brought onto base! I hope you have insurance!

The new way is much easier.

-Chuck

jollyroger

Being a veteran of DRMO and GSA live auctions, I find the GL auctions to be a great time saver. Here's what it used to be like:

The new way is much easier.

-Chuck

Amen Brother!!! I don't like the 15 minute thing either but my Pop's and I used to do it the old way too. What a pain in the rear it was. Most of it was some random crap and like one good item. Most of the auctions we went to were sealed bid........ My favorite random crap award was a three drawer wood cabinet, an air powered chainsaw blade with chain, sans saw body of course, assorted taps and dies in a metal case and a bunch of "remove before flight" flags. Dad wanted the taps and dies. I wanted the remove before flight flags. We just made a neusence bid. Low and behold we won that lot and did not get any of the good stuff we bid on. Talk about hit and miss.

trog

Stumps is right. Also, minimum bids were the discretion of the contracting officer, and undisclosed, so you would travel to different locations to inspect and then bid on an item that wouldn't sell. Thirty years ago, condition of most equipment was rough. Most deuces were just target practice residue.

Still, it was fun....

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just my preference, but I like the 15 minute feature over Ebay. I feel it is more fair to all than the sudden death of Ebay. It is all in how you look at it. They offer you the convenience of participating in as close to a real auction as you can and not have to travel beyond your computer. All you need to do is be prepared to devote the time to buying the item you need to to get it. You would do the same plus more time and expense if you went to a public auction. My being used to farm auctions, with the auctioneer giving you time to think about your next bid, the GL process is seen by me as the fairest way to do it. There is too much last second sniping with no way to get another chance with the Ebay sudden death concept.
Regards Marti

Reactions: art

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Life is too short to be upset about the 15 minute rule during bidding. Bid what you want and wait for the e-mail the next day or login and check.

On my very first auction I did the 15 minute dance and got pretty aggravated.

sw

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are guys on this list who THRIVE on the 15 minute rule and they are smiling reading this thread. They want to outlast you and cause as much frustration on your part as possible in the hopes that you give up and walk away. I don't like it either, but I deal with it if I want a particular truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks