• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

170hp cat motor out of m35a3 in m35a2?

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
ok well my question was answered. no on having one as a backup for an A2. But my wife wants a bobbed A3 so i could always get a backup motor (or 2) for that:wink:. she doesn't think their ugly. and if she wants green metal i'm not gonna say no:-D.

ccequipment

Those motors will proably bring to much money anyway becasue they will fit way to many other applications, and they say Cat on them. I just got in some of my first A3's and thought about using one for a crew cab project. But after driving one for a while, I am going to stick with an A2 model. I can make a multi fuel run better than than the cat, and the front end on the A3 is should I say lacking. But they are nice newer trucks, that are a little more modern, if your looking an AT, this is your truck, they are set up for creature comforts, i just like the looks and shifting my own gears in an A2, which is the start of another crew cab next week.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
anything can be made to fit within reason, but it all requires making brackets and plumbing. you could use a five ton gasser hood and extend the frame in front for a unique look. the 6bt is possibly the best choice, but i like v8's and they are shorter so easier to fit in.

mudguppy

Remember the 3116 is an electronic engine. ....
no, it is not.

The only issue I see with the 6bt is the 2300 redline. ....
no, it does not. (who told you this?)

typical de-fuel settings (dependant upon the governer spring setup) is 2600-2900. however, this is easily adjusted to 3200-3400 with either a set of shims or replacing the spring kit for $100. the 5.9 will run at 3k all day if you want it to. for another $100 more, you can buy the HD valve springs and additional governor spring and run it at 4k rpm.

you wouldn't believe how hard a cummins pulls when you're rolling through 3500+ rpm and still have full fueling... :shock:.

of course, it takes fuel to get there. but on a 12-valve / 6bta it only takes basic hand tools to double (or triple) your fuel rate.

Varyag

Nice, I talked to some buddies about the swap because I am not entirely sure about the MF. They suggested the 6bt but said it was a low reving engine... about 2300.

I found a few for between 3100 and 6000. Is there a truck you can sourse one from? If it can rev like that I might think a little better about the swap.

tm america

i agree with mudguppy .the 6bt is pretty much the best swap you can do for money get one from a school bus they are ussually low miles and have the right bellhousing adapter . as far as the trans fitting it depends on the bellhousing adapter if you pull the engine out of a dodge truck it will have the wrong one for the trans in a deuce but can be swapped out.but it seems they want an arm and a leg for them if you buy them separately from the motor.whats not to like about a motor that you can double the hp for a couple hundred bucks .i have drivin dodge trucks with the banks kits on them that were around 600hp wow very nice and still got good mpg and as far as redlining at 2300 maybe they were dislectsic;-) 3200 is more like it for most of the 6bts out there .\ a couple small mods and they will pull hard to 4000 .which would give you a top speed over 85mph with the stock 9.00s even 3200 would give you a top speed of 68mph with 9.00s and 85mph for a top speed with 15.5s or 395s.:twisted: the cat motor has nothing on that no matter how cheap you get them:roll:

Brian Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Thomas

Mudguppy said-------no, it is not.

The 3116s I worked on were electronic.

The Caterpillar HEUI system in the 3116 features an electronic control module that handles the injection of fuel using high-pressure engine oil to provide the "muscle," rather than the camshaft. The combination of the HEUI fuel system and the engine electronics provides improved load starting, more accurate and precise governing, improved low speed lug capability, improved serviceability and improved cold weather starting.

HEUI= Hydralic Electric Unit Injector.

"No it is not" Who told you this?

Here is the manual.

Last edited:

mudguppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Thomas

Mudguppy said-------no, it is not.

The 3116s I worked on were electronic.

The Caterpillar HEUI system in the 3116 features an electronic control module that handles the injection of fuel using high-pressure engine oil to provide the "muscle," rather than the camshaft. The combination of the HEUI fuel system and the engine electronics provides improved load starting, more accurate and precise governing, improved low speed lug capability, improved serviceability and improved cold weather starting.

HEUI= Hydralic Electric Unit Injector.

"No it is not" Who told you this?

Here is the manual.

gee, thanks for the illumination on 'HEUI'. :roll:

so, what's your source that the 3116s in the A3's are HEUI and not MUI??? this is my source - TM 9-2320-386-24-1-1.

Jakelc15

The A3's are MUI engines. You won't find very many 3116's that are electronically controlled. The slightly bigger 3126 is now electronic but wasn't when it was first manufactured. 3126b and 3126d are ecm controlled. Cat doesn't even make the 3116 anymore. It has been replaced by the C6.6 Acert engines.

Brian Thomas

the 3116's I worked on were ten years ago. I know they were replaced by the C- series engine.

Sorry to take the thread OT.

Mud guppy, I am sorry I said you didnt know. :roll:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you find a B with a P pump, not a rotary or a construction model with an A or MW pump. Another drawback of the AT from the CAT behind a multi would be the shift points. The 3116 will pull down to a lower RPM with more torque at the lower RPM. The Multi is nowhere near the operating range of the CAT. You'd need a converter change and maybe valve body work.

mudguppy

...Another drawback of the AT from the CAT behind a multi would be the shift points. The 3116 will pull down to a lower RPM with more torque at the lower RPM. ... You'd need a converter change and maybe valve body work.
that's a good point to consider. though, if you took one of the MF power graphs, couldn't most Allison shops make the necessary adjustments just like any other re-power?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is an electric trans, the shift points can be reprogrammed. There are converters to go from machanical modulation to electronic. If the trans in mechanical, there would be adjustments needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks