• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I am just absolutely speechless....almost typeless!!:shock:

This truck has already progressed WAY beyond my expectations Zout. Tony, Troy, and Carl all said they couldn't believe you had done so much already...and I certainly agree.

BTW... I'm cancelling our original agreement and adding another 1/3rd to it...expect a visit from the postman soon.:beer:

The only other comment I can come up with is::not worthy:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I am just absolutely speechless....almost typeless!!:shock:

This truck has already progressed WAY beyond my expectations Zout. Tony, Troy, and Carl all said they couldn't believe you had done so much already...and I certainly agree.

BTW... I'm cancelling our original agreement and adding another 1/3rd to it...expect a visit from the postman soon.:beer:

The only other comment I can come up with is::not worthy:
Zout, how much did he pay you? I'd like to make an offer add a few extras to it.

whiskey357

Banned
You know this truck can a self paying Ice Cream truck with clown at window and open rear end for selling the stuff....just need a 2 cycle engine and a loud P.A. system.....good stuff....

zout

WOW - $60 ?? so that is where PB kept 1/2 the money and bought me a case o sponsor liquid refreshment from for the fridge at the garage. So what ya going to do with the other $30 PB - spend wizely.

Steelpip - I will look closer at the wiring for you and manybe get you a pic of it - I was not concerned with the wiring as its all staying in place so the CAMO smarter than I fellas can work it all out.

Reason for the pics of the firewall wiring - I will be eventually removing them in tact from their mount positions so I can pristine up the engine compartment as well (like PB's WC) - I still need to drop the radiator as its loose already - pulling it backwards - down and out instead of trying to get the hood hinge bolts freed and taking it straight up and out - remember corroded screws and bolts - not afraid of the screws and bolts as much as I am the hard core piece that is non replaceable @full hood hinge @full windshield frameword (cheapest I saw just bare and only partial new was $750.00 - no way that's happening.

But here is something for you to look at today while you wait:
http://www.radionerds.com/index.php/SCR-197#images

As always - stay tuned

zout

SCR-197* Mobile HF Station (BC-325 transmitter, 1.5-18 Mhz, 400 W; receivers: three BC-342, one Hallicrafters "Sky Champion," one BC-325; BC-119 control box; in truck-trailer combination; 45' vertical for sending, 15' whip for receiving; R/B SCR-399; TM 11-241, -805.Also see RC-47

more info:

SCR 197
Ground, mobile; high power radio station. For use at an Air Force base or with large field units. Transmitter Installed In Truck K-18. 3 receivers, plus monitor, installed in Trailer K-19 . Switch selection of master oscillator or any one of five crystal frequencies. Provision for installation of telephone switchboard, teletype and typewriters in trailer K-19. Transmitter can be remotely controlled using voice, tone or CW operation up to a distance of 7-1/2 Mi. of Wire W-110-B. Limited Standard.
Replaced by SCR-399.
Used by Sig.C, AAF, AY, INF.

Last edited:

zout

Looked like it was going to continue raining all day and night - wind was around 25-30mph and I wanted to get on that roof and get it sanded and into OD so bad - so much for wishful thinking.

Stood around and had a sponsors liquid refreshment and contemplating what of everything I wanted to pick out to do - so I grabbed one of my special objects and cleaned up some metal to give you an idea of what is hidden underneath when I finally get to that.

Moved onto the passenger side upper corner roof area that has (had) a dent in it as well in the same area as the drivers side - both are DONE but only took a pic of the passenger side - because the rain washed my yard back into the drive way again for like the 10 time this spring - so sick of shoveling my yard away out of the drive.

Steelpip - no idea where that wire came from or went to Bro - it was hacked off 6 inches below that mount and about a foot above it. Wire does have a textured cover over it and it looks OEM - thick wires as well. No big of a help for ya but that is what is there. Without any of that generator equipment & pto stuff its hard to tell what went where. I did read today where those units were stipped down in Australia but the folks taking the stuff the Air Force left had no clue as to what it was but wanted it. It was a pretty interesting article from archives.

Back to the K - I did have to cut a couple small access holes in the van area corner to access pushing a bar up through to push those dents out - there is hardly any coating on it but just enough to smooth it all out. I guess when primer is on it will be the true test.

Yes the windshield is still propped OPEN - and still thinking about it.IMG_1308.jpgIMG_1309.jpgIMG_1310.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Zout, that one pic you or TWM sent me (forgot who) showed a K-18 hooked to a civilian trailer (painted OD) and used for Army Recruiting, that looked EXACTLY (well,,,sorta) like the Airstream trailer that is for sale down the street from me.

Remember we saw the outline of "Army Recruiting" on the back of the KC?

My little mind is whirling in a different direction!:shock:

whiskey357

Banned
Howdy again and looks a fun time for all with this build.......some of the old radio gear is around on yardsales and such ...like thrith shop or salvation army.....great stuff to play with .....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks