• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

zout

Pretty much done myself with the giggly ice cream truck thingy.

There were real soldiers from the signal corp that worked in the truck at one time - no different than soldiers that worked the guntrucks. I have played along as its been sort of fun - but I mean no disrespect to those that served in the truck at one time no less than the folks who served in PROUD AMERICAN.

Reading more about the signal corp and their duties is an interesting read from WW2 - worse than medics - that is the reason for the halt to the funny stuff about just the looks of the truck - time to move on to what it really stands for and those that served in it - just my gut feeling and hope you understand and you can carry on however you wish.

Some day I am going to grow up and learn how to work and make something look good I work on - but for now here is what got done tonight.

Roof hand block sanded and painted. This includes the sides as well from the primer overspray - this is still the first coat and two more to go.
Pic of the drivers side overhead repair and I found one more when looking at it I tackled as well - these will get into bare metal primer once I finish those entire sides.IMG_1311.jpgIMG_1312.jpgIMG_1313.jpgIMG_1314.jpgIMG_1315.jpgIMG_1316.jpgIMG_1317.jpgIMG_1321.jpg

Tin Medic

I don't think anyone has been disrespectful of the truck or those who worked in it. We have had a good time at the expense of the trucks looks but never at those who ran her. Also, I think I speak for all of us when I say you are doing the truck and it's users a great service by saving it.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I've made fun of the truck...good naturedly...but I have NEVER and WILL NEVER make fun of an Armed Forces Member...regardless of Branch.

I served nearly 21 years upholding "The Oath" and will continue to do so until the day I die.

Now, back to the truck.
I know when Zout is done she will be in nearly new-ish condition and will bear the markings of some Signal Unit that served in WWII...probably the 45th Infantry Division, or Signal Unit assigned to them.

A very good friend of mine has an older brother that served in the 45th and he is doing all he can to buy the WC-22 for his brother...but that won't happen.

No, she will not be an ice cream truck or anything else that would in anyway belittle the men that used her but as to exactly HOW she will be finally equipped/outfitted...I don't have that answer yet.

I guess with the amazing progress Zout is making though, I need to start thinking seriously about her final décor.:beer:

Last edited:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Commander, the job you are doing on the K is just another monument is a long like of vehicles you have brought back to life on the site. I salute you once again.

:goodjob:

zout

I have found Signal Corp restricted information letters handled during 1942 and they are an interesting read = they have been released now of course seeing as I am able to view them - only a few were given to service personnel in a censored manner - but clearly much different from their normal monthly documents.

PB - a lot of these also give the signal corp breakdown of units an numbers - might be what your looking for and maybe not !!

Just stay tuned after all this goofing around work is done and what the front of that truck will look like come the end of this weekend - and yes the windshield is still hanging open. Some day I am going to get some ambition up and finally get something done on it.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think that crawling in the midst of a battlefield, looking for a break in the twisted pair would be far more dangerous than being a medic. Or carrying a boxy radioset on your back, following a major around a battlefield- remember that the lead guy almost never got it.........

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
OK...this thread is about building a rare truck. It is not about who did what or how dangerous/important anyone's particular job was/is. Let's just get back to getting the ole girl back from the dead and let the Commander work his magic...OK??

I request that any further comments on future uses of the K-18C be kept along military representation/use lines as that is what she will do.

So...let the build thread continue within the above guidelines...please.:papabear:

Last edited:

wilber

That is a sweet truck. I love it when someone takes the time to preserve a small slice of our history. It is all disapperaring way too fast.

zout

OK - now that I have trained all of you I post pics end of day - I have your undivided attention to what is happening at the DZ.

End of pics are a couple squirrels playing with a jeep in the yard - other two are at a dance (any fathers do not call their grandpa on how they act - call their father).

Rest of the weekend has high hopes and a trip to Northern Tool tomorrow after a succulent steak and eggs breakfast at the waffle house - I may even take two squirrels with me.

Here are pics for the night and you can see if you have physic vision where I am headed for weekend closing IMG_1322.jpgIMG_1323.jpgIMG_1324.jpgIMG_1325.jpgIMG_1326.jpgIMG_1327.jpgIMG_1328.jpg

whiskey357

Banned
Well looking good on the truck.....member of the USN ...and we made fun of everyone .......had some trucks that kinda looked that one ...same old shape....they went for junk in 1975.......not much left of them but we had unloaded all of the comm gear and ants insdie the trucks ....stuff still in the WW2 boxes.....never did find out what happen to the stuff.....I am a member of the MARS system with DOD...and they still guys like lots of old and new stuff.......Have a HF...Tran/receiver rig in the bag NOS.......battery operated and has a lead weight to attch to the ant line to be tossed over a tree.....This rig was right behind the driver seat in the trucks we strip for parts in 1975 in Hawaiia.........over by the navy comm base ...well best of luck on this one as she is looking good......Just one more thing ............................What side has the Ice Cream counter and which side will have the P.A. System........???????????

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
More good news. Yesterday Troy found time to open up the trans...just took off the top plate, and he says the inside of the trans looks nearly new!!:grin: All the gears look good and no chipped teeth seen, and all gears shift as they should.[thumbzup]

Still have the engine cylinders soaking and Carl is supposed to bring in his "magic scope" in today so we can have a look see inside the cylinders.:jumpin:

zout

Come up to the house to grab a coke - there were no markings on the doors - the reason I can figure was the door panels are leaded in at that upper crease - looks to me like a lot of flux overran the panel and was just painted over and big reason for a lot of discolorization to the panels.

There is though a set of numbers to the drivers side upper corner hood - pics will be posted up later tonight so you'll just have to hold your britches on till then - you will not be disappointed and if ya are - too bad. Lots to get done till then.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks