• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are some good looking tires my friend. Good thing you have a friend in the towing business so you save tons of money when you move your stuff. Oh! Don't worry about the rims. I can tell from the photos that they are perfect. [thumbzup]

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When they get the old tires off they will let me know the condition of the rims so I can get them blasted or whatever before the new tires are mounted. I have no idea what I'll do if one or more of the rims are bad!
Great news on the towing and the tires. The difference in the size is negligible. I'm sure for the deal you got on them, noone is going to fault that in a judging contest.

For the rims, if one or more are bad, have you though about re-centering them? The M715 guys do that a lot with their rims so they don't have to use rims with lock-rings and tubes, so they can run radials on their stock axles/hubs. Might not be cheap, but it is an option.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Great news on the towing and the tires. The difference in the size is negligible. I'm sure for the deal you got on them, noone is going to fault that in a judging contest.

For the rims, if one or more are bad, have you though about re-centering them? The M715 guys do that a lot with their rims so they don't have to use rims with lock-rings and tubes, so they can run radials on their stock axles/hubs. Might not be cheap, but it is an option.
That's a good idea Brother but honestly all I'm interested in is saving the ole girl, getting her presentable, running, driving, stopping safely for parades/displays etc. That's all I do with any of my MV's.

I'm gonna leave it to whoever owns her next to make her prim and proper and worthy of being judged by the experts etc., or even used as a DD.

Thanks for the idea though. It may come to that if any of the rims are bad because she doesn't even have a spare.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PB, that has to be one of the "weirdest" lookin trucks I've ever seen. It sort of grows on a person though,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, sort of like mold. LOL I wonder if that was truly "cutting edge" when she was designed and built. Really, I am avidly awaiting the re-manufacture! "Ice cream truck" or no, she will be a unique example!

God bless,
Tony

zout

IF those rims need cleaning up - I can get them run through the Bandag powder coater refinisher up here PB when ours get restored each week - let me know - could have them back in one week via our transit system.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
PB, that has to be one of the "weirdest" lookin trucks I've ever seen. It sort of grows on a person though,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, sort of like mold. LOL I wonder if that was truly "cutting edge" when she was designed and built. Really, I am avidly awaiting the re-manufacture! "Ice cream truck" or no, she will be a unique example! God bless, Tony
Tony, I don't know about "cutting edge" of technology but you gotta remember that she was built nearly four months before WWII started (AUG 1941). I suspect they were grabbing "off the shelf" stuff that could be repurposed for military use....as evidenced by the goofy looking grill she had...and will have again.

I suspect she was originally destined to be a milk, bread, or whatever delivery truck and re-fitted with military lights etc. to join the war effort.

The fact that so few were produced for military (1941 and 1942) leads me to believe they were desperately looking for a replacement vehicle early in the war.:shrugs:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tony, I don't know about "cutting edge" of technology but you gotta remember that she was built nearly four months before WWII started (AUG 1941). I suspect they were grabbing "off the shelf" stuff that could be repurposed for military use....as evidenced by the goofy looking grill she had...and will have again.

I suspect she was originally destined to be a milk, bread, or whatever delivery truck and re-fitted with military lights etc. to join the war effort.

The fact that so few were produced for military (1941 and 1942) leads me to believe they were desperately looking for a replacement vehicle early in the war.:shrugs:
The history of the truck is interesting. I forgot all the re purposing that transpired during that area. That everything was considered viable for the war effort. Different times and different mentality. I realize my experience is severely limited, so I am following along. Thanks PB for savin her and sharin with the rest of us here on S.S. =)

God bless,
Tony

nattieleather

PB does this truck use the same rims and tires as the CCKW or the G506? I would think that if you have some rims beyond repair maybe some CCKW or G506 rims could be used? But in my 28 years of MVs even the nastiest looking rims could be blasted, welded and put back to work.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
PB does this truck use the same rims and tires as the CCKW or the G506? I would think that if you have some rims beyond repair maybe some CCKW or G506 rims could be used? But in my 28 years of MVs even the nastiest looking rims could be blasted, welded and put back to work.
The CCKW rims do LOOK similar but they are 6-lug and the K18-C is 5-lug. I'm sure the rims will be salvageable but I would like to have a spare just for grins and giggles.:beer:

zout

If anyone is watching that other project - when this one comes it will be the same process as used on the WC22.

Here's the products after media blasting area's:
Matrix MP900 - epoxy primer for bare metal adhesion and conversion
Matrix MAV420 - activator for above

Matrix MP3-HS -epoxy high build primer - also used to final seal the surface
Matrix MA3-HS - activator for above

At this time I belive PB is still going to use the TM Ordinance paint - same color as the WC was sprayed with - will know later.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
If anyone is watching that other project - when this one comes it will be the same process as used on the WC22.

Here's the products after media blasting area's:
Matrix MP900 - epoxy primer for bare metal adhesion and conversion
Matrix MAV420 - activator for above

Matrix MP3-HS -epoxy high build primer - also used to final seal the surface
Matrix MA3-HS - activator for above

At this time I belive PB is still going to use the TM Ordinance paint - same color as the WC was sprayed with - will know later.
Yup! That's the plan. I want her to have the same paint you put on the WC-22...It's purty!:goodjob:

zout

PLAN A - head to CAMO tomorrow morning - take Debs camera (no one call her please it will me MIA for a day) - take some detailed pics and think about it all the way home till delivery time arrives.

Anyone want to see the pics posted up - speak up NOW.

zout

Watch and be amazed is all I can tell ya after the metal hits the DZ - for now you get to see the before pics in full array before the fun starts. That is so you know I am not lying like everyone else around the campfire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks