• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Primo work as always Commander. I know what the two sets of rabbit ears on the front roof section are.......the held the big plastic pig to attract customers. Sort of like the big fiberglass Big Boy at Shoneys. Of course the pig was not gay!! :-D

zout

I heard some strange noises coming from the motion detectors down at the garage - they kept going off and after wanting to put something out of its misery I had to hesitate - the garage detector cameras with video picked this up - HEY PB - even the animals know its an ice cream truckwoodchuck.jpg

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What I read today is that the K18 had a pto to run a on board generator and the trailer (K19) had two self contained generators.

zout

Well that all pretty well answers as to why there were so many ground straps in the back end - I bet there had to have been at least 20 of them.
With the weather getting up into the 70's here today - when I get home I might be able to pull off another holy crap moment. We'll see.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Here's only part of what we would need to get started:
I think that's correct Ron. I just posted all the pics I found on one Signal Truck Site to show what it would take to even START trying to put the truck back like she was. I just don't have the funds (or the desire really) to go that far with her.

The truck will be repurposed but will still live an honorable life.

Oh...I forgot to post a pic of one of the most needed items:

Attachments

Last edited:

Tin Medic

Well that all pretty well answers as to why there were so many ground straps in the back end - I bet there had to have been at least 20 of them.
With the weather getting up into the 70's here today - when I get home I might be able to pull off another holy crap moment. We'll see.

:popcorn:

rickf

I think that's correct Ron. I just posted all the pics I found on one Signal Truck Site to show what it would take to even START trying to put the truck back like she was. I just don't have the funds (or the desire really) to go that far with her.

The truck will be repurposed but will still live an honorable life.

Oh...I forgot to post a pic of one of the most needed items:
That would explain the heavy duty brake controller.

nattieleather

Close but not close enough - 4 inches is what the widest width you could get - every other board was then screwed in & that is why the flooring screws are 8 inch on centers - you win an ice cream cone from PB's truck.
Yaaaaay! Ice cream ice cream...I scream you scream we all scream for ice cream! :lol:

zout

entire inside of box is undercoated - this stuff dries up nicely (Swiss can tell ya). What looks like to be missed spots is somehow picking up something else under flash - but with the LED light in there all looks well - have a couple extra cans anyhow once it dries up.

PB - that area is repaired btw :)

100_2064.jpg100_2065.jpg100_2066.jpg100_2067.jpg100_2068.jpg100_2069.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
God has blessed me with a special friend...better than any man could ask for...and I thank you my friend for using your special talents for helping me out. :beer:

(See...I told you God watches out for kids and fools...and I don't think I qualify as a kid anymore)

ALSO:

OUT FRIGGIN STANDING!!!

Last edited:

zout

Well behind the scene now that you have confirmed that butt ugly brush guard you like - I did some checking under ZOOM of that other pic of that K 18 - graphing out the guard and taking measurements tonight - I think we may have a dog in the fight.
That is metal !

Now - under the rear of the back end of the box and around each corner was eaten up by the rust god's - rear wall is sitting directly on the frame and that is NOT acceptable to me. SO tonight I measured what was left to see what size I need to rebuild that and corners to each rearward window as these are eaten up by the rust eaters gods grandkid squirrels. Along with the running boards/threshold plates guess what
This is also metal !

Zout calling in favors to get these bent to rebuild these structure area's and this also squares up the box for a later date. YES making drain holes for the water that runs inside them side windows across the succulent undercoating I just put in and drain out the bottom - Ga Mafia Count Swiss would call that SWEET - and I second that motion.

Tad bit more to do to the roof PB knows about and its none of the rest of your business nor pics - so just use your imagination.
Then onto a secret also for PB to work on the front of the box to over the cab area so I can get this all into primer soon.

Digital temp gun said when I got home and on the roof it was 115 surface temp. I already know what around 150 feels like from the M43B1 when I worked on it so that is one reason I want to get this as best I can and done first.
No more holy chit stuff for a couple days fella's - go cut your grass and take a break.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I think Zout needs a raise.
I certainly agree!! HOWEVER:

A pay raise would have to be approved by the Commander in Chief (MamaBear), and since this is an "off grid, covert operation" (She doesn't know I bought the truck:roll:), I will have to divert any additional funds to Zout thru another source.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks