• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

zout

Spent a little time checking out the local Northern Tool catalog and looking at the Hobart 140 - that will get me up to 1/4 inch like I get into sometimes. But I'm going to head down first and pull the plugs and see if I can get that engine rolled over with the rope start first. If that is a no go I doubt I will stick any more $$$ into that thing after checking out some engine prices - seeing as the circuit boards cannot be gotten in the same style as OEM replacements - oh well.

Stop at NAPA and pick me up another gallon of Urethane reducer and hopefully get that drivers side threshold in and the back 3 corners in primer by end of day.
Last step in getting that interior back together is the windows - no big rush here and the rest could be in paint before doing this as well. Looking forward to getting onto the front of the truck again.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Spent a little time checking out the local Northern Tool catalog and looking at the Hobart 140 - that will get me up to 1/4 inch like I get into sometimes. But I'm going to head down first and pull the plugs and see if I can get that engine rolled over with the rope start first. If that is a no go I doubt I will stick any more $$$ into that thing after checking out some engine prices - seeing as the circuit boards cannot be gotten in the same style as OEM replacements - oh well.

Stop at NAPA and pick me up another gallon of Urethane reducer and hopefully get that drivers side threshold in and the back 3 corners in primer by end of day.
Last step in getting that interior back together is the windows - no big rush here and the rest could be in paint before doing this as well. Looking forward to getting onto the front of the truck again.
It seems strange the engine would lock up for no apparent reason? Maybe Bud was there again?

zout

Thanks Adam - but disaster avoided - I pulled the plug and pulled the ripcord and wa la - tons of gasoline come spewing out - worked on the carb for a while - blew out the cyl and jambed that plug back in and fired that baby up - good to go and thanks for the offer. Here are the results for the day.DSCN0011.jpgDSCN0012.jpgDSCN0013.jpgDSCN0014.jpgDSCN0015.jpgDSCN0016.jpgDSCN0017.jpgDSCN0018.jpgDSCN0019.jpgDSCN0020.jpg I know folks will want to touch it at the cookout so I have it in a position I do not care if they get fingerprints all over the primer at this time - but after this weekend its paws off the surface till done.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Whooo Hooo...get to see my baby again in 4 days!!:drool:

I'm SERIOUSLY considering dropping a nice running 302 into that bad boy. Just gotta sit them side by side and see how much would need to be changed.

I'll have to let Tony and Troy make that call, they MAY just wanna redo the 248 and stick it back in.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 302 would be a no brainer:). Use a tremec 5 speed transmission I did the conversion in my mustang and it drives like a dream. I have an extra set of 350 heads that could get you into 300 hp

the bell housing can be used with a simple adapter readily available

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
A 302 would be a no brainer:). Use a tremec 5 speed transmission I did the conversion in my mustang and it drives like a dream. I have an extra set of 350 heads that could get you into 300 hp
the bell housing can be used with a simple adapter readily available
UMMMM....wrong 302 Bro.

I mean the extra GMC 302 outta the parts M211. Inline 6 cyl.rofl

zout

The 302 (5.0L) GMC inline six was produced from 1952 to 1960, when it was replaced by the V6. It has a 4.00" bore and 4.00" stroke. The connecting rod length was 7.000". This is the largest raised-deck engine. It was originally designed for the GMC military M135 and M211. It was used in military 2.5 ton trucks with the HydraMatic transmission; however, the engine was a sealed engine for snorkel/submersion use, had an electric fuel pump, and other features such as a deep sump oil pan. From 1952 to 1959, GMC manufactured the civilian 302 engine, which was not sealed, had a mechanical fuel pump, and used a "standard" oil pan. This engine is popular with hotrod enthusiasts because it delivers tremendous power for an inline six engine, is truck built with a heavy cast block, and can take quite a bit of abuse.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The gmc 302 is a long 6, the 6 out of the K18 is shorter, a chevy 235 should drop in

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
The gmc 302 is a long 6, the 6 out of the K18 is shorter, a chevy 235 should drop in
Correct. Hence the side by side comparison and mount boss location/driveshaft/intake/carb hight/ mods etc.
It MAY not work without major mods to the truck...which ain't gonna happen.

Just a passing thought.:papabear:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks