• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

Wallyboy

Photo of the K-18 now home at the shop.
First time under a roof in 40 years!

Zout can you bottle up some of you determination/project drive and send it out to me? I seem to be lacking !!20131026_175400.jpg

zout

If you would that would be helpful later on. Just pm me and I can send ya my address - or just look on my cookout thread its posted all over the world on there - even the drones and silent helicopters know where I live :)

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard Wallyboy. Between you and PB/Zout, you will be able to share vital information. Getting the measurements for that front grill guard will be a real asset. Can you shoot some photos of your vehicle.

GatorBill

Great job on the restoration guys. Im Bill from Indiana and have a K-18 also. I still have a long way to go on it though. Im needing original seats or just springs. Pictures and measurements would help. Needing radiator and transmission as well. Can you help? I contacted Wallyboy 2 months ago and really enjoyed talking to him. Good man. Im also looking for the SCR-197 components. BD-92 Control panel, GN-42 generator, Table etc. Any help or measurements appreciated. My goal is to have the base station fully operational. Looks like in my parts searching, I need to keep you guys in mind as well. Thanks for the inspiration! Bill bill at miller power dot com

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Thanks to Zout and Ron the Southern CAMO Command got the engine and trans loaded up at Zout's Cookout yesterday!:beer:

Now we will see if the ole 248CI 6cyl can be saved, reconditioned and reinstalled. It looks 100% complete and salvageable (from the outside at least). Now the fellers will tear her down and see what the inside looks like.

Attachments

zout

And while Southern Camo is tinkering with the engine - today Sunday after cleaning up after the cookout the K18 was calling to me once again - and true to form after screwing around for a couple weeks per orders I BROKE orders and just had to - so take this PBIMG_1276.jpgIMG_1277.jpgIMG_1278.jpgIMG_1279.jpgIMG_1280.jpgIMG_1281.jpgIMG_1282.jpgIMG_1283.jpg

zout

Pics of the sides that look zebra - is the reducer still drying out - that is how fast on the draw with a camera I am - it will all flatten out smooth as a babies butt. Window frames are before and after painted to make ready for the new metal window channel the seals will be fitted into.

And yes - a word from my sponsor.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
ZIP, ZAM, ZOWIE AND SWOOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shock:

PB likey!! You "Numba One" GI!!:not worthy::papabear:

Somehow I think the KC is gonna get done before the engine/trans is ready!!:roll:

Last edited:

zout

Roof sanded - shot into high build 2k primer. This requires resanding again and get into paint first coat if all looks well after sanding.

Sides require resanding again for 2nd and 3rd coats of paint when all is finished anyhow.

Passenger door dis-assembled.
Some pics of the electrical thingy on the firewall which must have had something to do with the radio system ?????
The hood rear cowl section - there is a wire that is held on with screws and I took pics of both sides that runs the entire rear hood cowl area ?????
Some pics of the electrical junction boxes.
Pic of a hidden tag on the upper right hand corner of the firewall - again ???????

Here are some pics of screwing around tonightIMG_1284.jpgIMG_1285.jpgIMG_1286.jpgIMG_1287.jpgIMG_1288.jpgIMG_1289.jpgIMG_1290.jpgIMG_1291.jpgIMG_1292.jpgIMG_1293.jpg

steelypip

The wire between cowl and hood is meant to electrically bond the hood to the body so that it won't mess up the radiation pattern of the transmitter or introduce interference into the signal. The box with the coil and black cylinder looks like either an LC load for a transmitter antenna or maybe a dummy load. More detailed pictures might help with ID. A more detailed photo of the voltage regulator rating plate might also be interesting. Was it wired to the engine generator?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
That wiring is gonna be a problem. Any type electrical fire will melt my ice cream!!

I wonder what the sweet lady at Vintage Wiring of Maine is gonna say when I call and ask for a wiring harness for a 1941 K18-C??

Oh...and Zout... I apologize again for jumping out of the dually Friday afternoon and running straight to the truck...without saying howdy or anything.... I couldn't help it when I saw her!!:drool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks