• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

zout

PM me the phone number to that machine shop please:naner:.

I need to call that fella and tell him to take at least 3 more weeks otherwise a group of folks will have another mutiny and perform a scavage run at ungodly hours to obscrounder a K-18 outta someone's yard thinkin its done enough.

Ahhh -maybe 4 weeks:driver:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
PM me the phone number to that machine shop please:naner:.

I need to call that fella and tell him to take at least 3 more weeks otherwise a group of folks will have another mutiny and perform a scavage run at ungodly hours to obscrounder a K-18 outta someone's yard thinkin its done enough.

Ahhh -maybe 4 weeks:driver:
Not to worry Bro, there's plenty of time as we have to clean/paint/rebuild all the stuff that go ON the block/head.

Besides, the original goal was the 1st of October and I'm quite sure we will make THAT deadline.:driver:

GatorBill

Great job on the progress guys. Im Bill ( GatorBill). Keep a close eye on that radiator. Its a rare one as you know. I can't find one for my K-18. Can you send me dimensions of yours so I can get one special made? I also need the seat cushion dimensions as well. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps I can help you in return. You have helped me already reading the post. Take care!

zout

Bill - go on a site called The Filling Station - they have radiators there but hold onto your pants cause they are over 1K - YUP.

The temp is how hot this stuff gets - top temp product - bottom temp air temp.

This is how far I sanded with the DA to get the floor somewhat level - shows the grain as well. This does get a second coat tomorrow night and it will be like glass. MAMA just came home and we're moving the K back in front of the garage and I still want to pressure wash the engine compartment from the front side where the radiator is now MIA.

IMG_1589.jpgIMG_1590.jpgIMG_1591.jpgIMG_1592.jpgIMG_1593.jpgIMG_1594.jpgIMG_1595.jpgIMG_1597.jpgIMG_1598.jpgIMG_1599.jpg The pic of the bucket is the HEAT coming off it - when applying this stuff and the fumes you want to be no where in the vicinity because you will be dead - laying in epoxy and your dead carcass will have to be taken out after chisiling you out or grinding you out - either way its a bad deal = put it on quick and get away. Still gets a second coat tomorrow night. ENJOY

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boy, with the trailer that was actually a fair price. However, there are always more fish in the sea. Plus, you won't want two identical vehicles and trailers sitting in the compound would you?

zout

Kenny - that slab of bbq meat would be Kent if he tried coming close to the wood with any form or manner of paint. You'd be reading about him in the newspapers.

Got the engine compartment pressure washed and front backing plates - axle - tie rod assembly. No pics just bold face lies and tales from Zout - sooner or later ya might catch a pic of how spanky clean it all is.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Great job on the progress guys. Im Bill ( GatorBill). Keep a close eye on that radiator. Its a rare one as you know. I can't find one for my K-18. Can you send me dimensions of yours so I can get one special made? I also need the seat cushion dimensions as well. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps I can help you in return. You have helped me already reading the post. Take care!
Bill, would you mind posting some pics of your K18 here?? I'd love to see it and we will help out any way we can.:beer:

zout

Bill - the 41 COE Chevy was almost identical to the GMC - but not quite. The links I gave you carry the seats - radiator - windshield frames and lots more. The Filling Station web site is over 365 pages long of their catalog and after looking at each page I found the stuff PB needed - you just have to search. Jim Caters Truck Parts is another good link - what one does not have the other does and vice versa.

Just post some pics of where you K-18 is at now as PB asked so we can check it out and help as we can.

GatorBill

That floor is pristine. Super! My K-18 has a long way to go. I'll Get my pix to you all ASAP. I will contact The Filling Station for sure. Yes I know it will be pricey. Counts Kustoms gave me a lead as well. I do have an extra RM 7 radio control unit. Just have 1 BC-325 transmitter. Any radio components I can find I'll get them in 2's to help us out. Your to far along to not need these components if that where you want to take it. Im missing BD-92 panel box, table, etc. Signal Corp museum in Fort Gordon GA might help us. The K-19 Trailer is a real mystery but Im lookin to. Just can't believe the progress you've done and keep it going. I will be at the MVPA Show in Louisville if you want to hook up. Staying at Crown plaza fair grounds under Miller. Bill

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
That floor is pristine. Super! My K-18 has a long way to go. I'll Get my pix to you all ASAP. I will contact The Filling Station for sure. Yes I know it will be pricey. Counts Kustoms gave me a lead as well. I do have an extra RM 7 radio control unit. Just have 1 BC-325 transmitter. Any radio components I can find I'll get them in 2's to help us out. Your to far along to not need these components if that where you want to take it. Im missing BD-92 panel box, table, etc. Signal Corp museum in Fort Gordon GA might help us. The K-19 Trailer is a real mystery but Im lookin to. Just can't believe the progress you've done and keep it going. I will be at the MVPA Show in Louisville if you want to hook up. Staying at Crown plaza fair grounds under Miller. Bill
Bill, please do not buy anything on my account unless we discuss it first. I would appreciate any leads you have on the radio/commo stuff the truck is supposed to have but I'm not sure how far I want to take it yet.:beer:

zout

Bill - I am curious to know what serial # your K-18 is ?
Do you have any remaining markings on the exterior that are identifiable ?

I have to agree with the owner that the radio systems are really 3rd on the list if even that. The cab had to be saved and the engine next. As long as these are saved anything above this is just a plus if the owner wishes to further putting anything else in it. Just the fact that really soon that K-18 comm of PB's will be driven down the road is just amazing - what historical valve to be able to present this back to the public on a display.

So the sooner you get started on something of yours - it will that much sooner it will get done !

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
"So the sooner you get started on something of yours - it will that much sooner it will get done !" zout

been working my ass off the last 3 weeks to finish a job up and have really appreciated the banter on this thread it has kept me going, you have not only saved this truck and the history that goes with it but my sanity as well thanks guys! now back to work!

GatorBill

Yes I'll get the numbers to you guys Sat. I'll get someone to help me post my pictures on this site me being a computer novice. I wont buy any extra radio components but will work on good leads if needed. Im also working on the K-51, K-52 SCR-299 radio truck as well. As long as the M-6 Bomb truck, M-5 Bomb Trailers, 3 M-1 bomb lifts, GPW, and G506. Still a long way to go. I need to focus on one at a time for sure. I've learned a lesson from Microjeep on how to do it the right way. Thanks ! Bill

Last edited:

zout

The overhead console was missing a wiper motor access panel - so I obscoundered another piece of alum and made one - to buy one is $23.00 plus shipping - ain;t no fricking way.

Got the second coat of Floor Restore on and this is the end of this process.

While I was sitting having a liquid refreshment I smelled a stinking wood smell again - above in the rafters was a 4x8 piece of paneling - seeing as it can no longer be in MY garage without being set on fire I decided to waste it on PB's truck. Seeing has I have no wood saws I scribed a line in with my metal scribe and took my metal wide chisel and hammered away on the cut lines - after being able to snap the hammered piece apart I made the second chisel cut - than frantically snapping the wood apart (that was a cool sound) I took my DA sander and wacked away to smooth out the cut marks. I need more self tapping screws to get it attached and then get some polyurethane on the stinkin wood to seal it off.

Dug the speedo cluster out again and peeled it open - I will be sending the owner an e mail tomorrow and I bet we can get away with a new Glass/bezel/ and the GMC cover plate and be good to go for less than $100 and I have no doubt ALL the gauges will operate when hooked up.
If you scratch on your computer screen - the pic of the wood is scratch & sniff and you can smell that disgusting smellIMG_1600.jpgIMG_1601.jpgIMG_1602.jpgIMG_1604.jpgIMG_1605.jpgIMG_1608.jpgIMG_1609.jpgIMG_1610.jpgIMG_1611.jpgIMG_1612.jpg

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"So the sooner you get started on something of yours - it will that much sooner it will get done !" zout

been working my ass off the last 3 weeks to finish a job up and have really appreciated the banter on this thread it has kept me going, you have not only saved this truck and the history that goes with it but my sanity as well thanks guys! now back to work!
Banter????? You guys seen any banter? Only good stories and truth is spoken by the Ga Mafia :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks