• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heard from a fellow that used to own a BC-325 about 20 years ago. He said:
[FONT=arial,helvetica]Two more things that I forgot to add last night. The trailer is powered by a PE-75 generator set. So could be operated while the vehicle was in motion. The transmitter is powered by a GN-42-(*) generator which is V-belt driven off of the trucks PTO. Ratings of GN-42-A and GN-42-B, 110 VAC, 60 cps at 1800 RPM. GN-42-C and GN-42-D 110/220 VAC, 60 cps at 1800 RPM. All models 3 KVA., weight given as 363 pounds. The generator nomenclatures came from TM 11-227. Photo there is the same one of the receivers and RM-7.[/FONT]

zout

Anyone that's been nuts enough to read the entire thread OR followed the K from the start might remember this - and it falls into what Mike learned.

Following the scr-197 radio is what pinpointed WHAT the trucks exact use was for. This also led to more info about the K18-C only by reading pieces and parts of articles with little to no pictures. Same as the illusive K19 trailer.

Don't know about you but its been a great piece of Military History to work on and learn about.

Soon she will be rolling HISTORY.

zout

YOU FUNNY GI.
All the driveline is filled and greased - starting circuit ran through test memory from received wire harness and what it needs to FIRE UP aside from hot wiring everything like I did - cause everything else is lighting circuits and addition to Turn SIgnals and parking lamps. The rear lamps will get worked on by themselves but for now it has nothing to do with running the start circuit and polarity circuit through the OEM voltage regulator and OEM generator cause neither were tested - but its either they work or they don't.

So my question was - guess what tomorrow night is fellas. Lets see if we can breath a breath of like into the K for real.
For now - done for the night.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would wish ya luck, but with you, don't think "luck" is necessary. (I will keep fingers crossed as you said, either it will, or it won't) I actually wonder, when was the LAST time the K was fired off with it's own circuits and battery? Wonder how many years it has been? Eagerly awaiting info on how it goes......................................

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I would wish ya luck, but with you, don't think "luck" is necessary. (I will keep fingers crossed as you said, either it will, or it won't) I actually wonder, when was the LAST time the K was fired off with it's own circuits and battery? Wonder how many years it has been? Eagerly awaiting info on how it goes......................................
I can assure you with NO worry about overkill it has been 25 to 30 years...and that I think I could verify thru the PO if needed.

I just can't find the words to say how much I appreciate all the sweat and blood Dave has put into this truck bringing her back from a comatose state to a living, breathing, driving, stopping piece of history.

I'm just the guy who found her...It's Dave who saved her.:beer::papabear:

zout

When PB first posted the K - I already saw it in finished condition - no BS ---the rest was just to get it to that condition step by step.

Let me put it this way if you can hang on:
I went to a taxidermy show one time a long time ago.
When I went down the aisles of displays of the folks work - this one fella had two 8 ft tables full of ducks - but the material under the ducks made it look like they were in water and the dam ducks looked REAL TO LIFE.
No foolin - the ducks looked like they were waiting to be fed or just take off into the sky.

Picture this into your imagination - same place I was at the time.

I asked the fella behind the tables who did the carvings of HOW did he do that - what did he go by and how realistic they looked - and how can he do it ???????????

He looked at me with a straight face (ole time fella) and said - all you have to do it just remove everything in wood that does not make it look like a real duck and then paint it. WTH
Simple - but his simple words put all his time tested skills into his display and the quality of his workmanship - just breathtaking to say the least and I will never forget that moment with that fella - and I still to this day remember his name. But from all those years - it was put into simple words and it was all laying on two tables before me of his learned skills.

All I try to do - when ever I work on something is do the best I can - could it be done better with more money - better shop - etc etc etc - sure. But you all see with what I have to work with and I do the best I can for my FRIEND - and hope he is happy with the results (but not laying on top of two 8' tables) but in real life in front of him.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
When PB first posted the K - I already saw it in finished condition - no BS ---the rest was just to get it to that condition step by step.

Let me put it this way if you can hang on:
I went to a taxidermy show one time a long time ago.
When I went down the aisles of displays of the folks work - this one fella had two 8 ft tables full of ducks - but the material under the ducks made it look like they were in water and the dam ducks looked REAL TO LIFE.
No foolin - the ducks looked like they were waiting to be fed or just take off into the sky.

Picture this into your imagination - same place I was at the time.

I asked the fella behind the tables who did the carvings of HOW did he do that - what did he go by and how realistic they looked - and how can he do it ???????????

He looked at me with a straight face (ole time fella) and said - all you have to do it just remove everything in wood that does not make it look like a real duck and then paint it. WTH
Simple - but his simple words put all his time tested skills into his display and the quality of his workmanship - just breathtaking to say the least and I will never forget that moment with that fella - and I still to this day remember his name. But from all those years - it was put into simple words and it was all laying on two tables before me of his learned skills.

All I try to do - when ever I work on something is do the best I can - could it be done better with more money - better shop - etc etc etc - sure. But you all see with what I have to work with and I do the best I can for my FRIEND - and hope he is happy with the results (but not laying on top of two 8' tables) but in real life in front of him.
That's all well and good Sir...but I already have a DUKW ....PLEASE don't make my K18-C "quack"!:naner::beer:

Last edited:

zout

Shot off a video clip to pb of it running just to make sure he did not think he was halusinating last time.
Just lots of little things to keep working on one at a time and not get caught up overwhelmed by it a ll.

zout

Its NOT an ICE CREAM TRUCK.
Signal Corp personnel were front line personnel and almost in front of the front lines to secure communications - hardly out there selling ice cream cones during WW2.
There are plenty of YouTube videos of SCR folks in the fight. Most of them are outstanding of their duties they performed.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shot off a video clip to pb of it running just to make sure he did not think he was halusinating last time.
Just lots of little things to keep working on one at a time and not get caught up overwhelmed by it a ll.

Hummm I did not get copy of video and truck running. Very strange.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its NOT an ICE CREAM TRUCK.
Signal Corp personnel were front line personnel and almost in front of the front lines to secure communications - hardly out there selling ice cream cones during WW2.
There are plenty of YouTube videos of SCR folks in the fight. Most of them are outstanding of their duties they performed.

We hear the passion of your pursuit pretty perfectly there, Zout. Your dedication is worthy of a medal and commendation.
Carry on!

rickf

I'll bet the Chaplain did not get a copy of that video either after blackmailing PB on his New Yuck trip.rofl
And no, I did not get a copy either. I will see one soon enough.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You were put on probation for texting pics of you cutting grass at night while we were trying to sleep!:papabear:
Sleep is highly over-rated :) Hope I am on double secret top probation!!! Zout released the drone delivery machine this morning and BAM i did get a video DVD signed by the "Warp Commander" himself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks