• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1943 GPW distance measurement needed

Amer-team

If anything the steering gear may have been moved outboard a hair to miss the exhaust manifold. But it looks pretty stock. I was looking at mine in the dark with the fender on and it looks pretty close to that. If you don't know for sure what age your rig is, you should be able to find a GPW xxxxxx just ahead of the drivers side motormount.

If you want to part with your hard half doors, let's talk. Some one did some very nice work building those.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anything the steering gear may have been moved outboard a hair to miss the exhaust manifold. But it looks pretty stock. I was looking at mine in the dark with the fender on and it looks pretty close to that. If you don't know for sure what age your rig is, you should be able to find a GPW xxxxxx just ahead of the drivers side motormount.

If you want to part with your hard half doors, let's talk. Some one did some very nice work building those.
Sent some more pictures of the half doors on the jeep. Make me an offer and we can see if
we can get these to you. I am selling them as I will not be using them.

I got the following info after looking up the original glove data plate and frame numbers found on this jeep

Frame number GPW 106087 *
Original glove box data plate number 106087
Contract # F-4
Serial# 101305-179758
Date of delivery Mar 43 - Jan 44
78,454 made under this contract number.

Thanks,
Gordon

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I got the following info after looking up the original glove data plate and frame numbers found on this jeep

Frame number GPW 106087 *
Original glove box data plate number 106087
Contract # F-4
Serial# 101305-179758
Date of delivery Mar 43 - Jan 44
78,454 made under this contract number.

Thanks,
Gordon
Any idea where they were made, under that contract?

Anybody know how to look that up?

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I got the frame number directly off of the jeep just in front of the drivers side shock absorber.
I got the serial number and other information from the original glove box data plate.

I got the rest of the info at the internet links below:

http://www.surplusjeep.com/MB-GPW/mb-gpw_lead_page.htm

http://www.1943gpw.com/G503_WWII_Search_Serial_Numbers.aspx

http://www.1943mb.com/a-3-G503_WWII_1943_Willys_MB_Jeep_History.aspx

Regards,
Gordon

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I got the rest of the info at the internet links below:

Regards,
Gordon
Found this (wikipedia):

- doesn't confirm location of manufacturing

- But some interesting detail anyway

World War II and the Jeep

Willys-Overland was one of several bidders when the
War Department sought an auto maker that could begin rapid production of a lightweight truck based on a design by American Bantam.

In 1938 Joseph W. Frazer had joined Willys from Chrysler as chief executive. He saw a need to improve the firm's 4-cylinder engine to handle the punishment to which the Jeep would be subjected. This objective was brilliantly achieved by ex-Studebakerchief engineer Delmar "Barney" Roos, who wanted

"an engine that could develop 15 horsepower at 4,400 r.p.m. and run for 150 hours without failure. What he started with was an engine that developed 48 horsepower at 3,400 r.p.m., and could run continuously for only two to four hours ... It took Barney Roos two years to perfect his engine, by a whole complex of revisions that included closer tolerances, tougher alloys, aluminum pistons, and a flywheel reduced in weight from fifty-seven to thirty-one pounds".[SUP][2]
[/SUP]
Production of the Willys MB, better known as Jeep, began in 1941, shared between Willys, Ford and American Bantam. 8,598 units were produced that year, and 359,851 units were produced before the end of World War II. Willys-Overland ranked 48th among United States corporations in the value of World War II military production contracts.[SUP][3][/SUP] In total, 653,568 military Jeeps were manufactured.

Last edited:

Jeff Lakaszcyck

Torisco, I think the "S" on your steering box is for Studebaker. I think I've heard that Studebaker steering boxes were often swapped into Jeeps in the '50's and '60's, before the Saginaw conversions became popular.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks