• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 M135 W/Winch

USMC 00-08

You mean these gaps? Hope the picture gets bigger after I hit Submit....if not...move closer.
That's them. It wasn't brake fluid that caused my problems. Most definitely gear oil. I too have the level 1/2 to 3/4 inch below the fill hole and the axle vent is clear. Maybe 1 inch below is another step in solving this. What would happen if we ran something heavier than 90w gear oil?

USMC 00-08

The brakes are bled, adjusted, tested and all six wheels are stopping and releasing like they are supposed to. The truck is on jack stands still and I will be watching to see if the wheel cylinders develop any leaks like before.

The cab top is off the truck as is the bed and while watching to see if the brakes were working properly, I noticed a slight wobble in the drive shaft that goes from the transfer case to the middle axle. When I had the truck in low range and it would shift gears, I could hear a noise coming from that drive shaft somewhere. I already know the u-joints need replaced and they are on their way here already, but when I got underneath to check it out, there was a little play up and down at the flange that is at the axle and the flange at the transfer case where the drive line bolts to.

I am really hoping that it is not the bearings and looking in TM9-1819AC on page 212, I see that there is a sleeve that goes inside these flanges. A further search lead me to post 73 and 75 in Plowboy's thread that shows the part.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?52255-G749-preservation/page8

Plowboy or anyone else that might know, can you tell me what the symptoms of this sleeve being worn are? I really hope it is not the bearings in the transfer case and axle. None of the others on the truck wobble like this.

Here is a video I found of a bad bearing and the wobble on my truck is nowhere near this bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzOyWNyEcZs

I do notice this when I drive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvmZ1xNTzAE

Another question I have and can't seem to find info on it in the TM...is the 6x6 supposed to engage in reverse? It engages properly in the forward gears.

Last edited:

USMC 00-08

Last edited:

1944mb

So does the pinion actually have side to side play and up and down-if you grab the yoke and try to move it back and forth, does it? A drive axle problem is typically noticed on acceleration or deacceleration because the gears mate on both acceleration + de accel but on opposite sides of the teeth, if that makes sense-so noises vary whether you are cruising, accel, or de accel. Does your truck make noises like in the video? The second video where he said he just 'tightened' up the rear end is mainly bull-with the exception of the nut backing off, the only way that pinion loosens is by the bearings wearing. If they are that worn that bad, the diff needs to be re-bearing'ed, that is to do it right. In a std rear end there is preload, backlash and pattern that need to be taken into account. Preload is the amount of pressure on both the pinion and carrier bearings, usually measured in rotating torque, in in. #-meaning you take all the clearance out of bearings to 0.0", then subtract clearnace causing it to be loaded. Backlash is measured typically with a dial indictor against the ring gear, keeping the pinion stationary and 'rocking' the ring gear back and forth. In the video he would have a ton of lash cause the pinion is no longer staionary, and pattern is simply checked by apply a gear marking compound(gm makes a nice bright yellow color), and check the pattern by running the gears around back and forth and checking their wear against each other. I am not familiar with this particular rear end, but if the yoke moves, that doesnt seem promising, but maybe someone with more experience with this diff could say other wise. So does the seal leak? The nice thing with these trucks is that they are a third member if I remember correctly, which would mean pulling the axles shafts, driveline, nuts around the case and yanking it out. I'll bet rebuilding it could be kinda spendy if a shop did it. Beings it looked like these were a straight bearing in the exploded view, I'm not sure exactly how they set the preload, so I guess Im not much help.

USMC 00-08

It does for sure have some play up and down. Side to side maybe not so much, but I will try to remove the drive line this week and see if there is any side to side. I'll see if I can get some video footage of what I am talking about and post it up.

There is some noise like in the video, but maybe it is just that these things are noisy. If you skip ahead to 3:20 in the video of my truck, you can hear some of what I am talking about. Maybe all is ok but if I think it is not, it really bothers me. :smile:

USMC 00-08

I have investigated the above mentioned play and I don't think things are as bad as I thought. The bolts holding the driveline to the middle axle were barely more than finger tight.

The driveline was removed and a closer look showed me that the nut that holds the yoke on the transfer case is far too loose. Not even finger tight. TM9-1819AC says it is supposed to be torqued to 100 ft pounds minimum.

The yoke on the middle axle has a small amount of play and I suspect that nut is too loose and no cotter key in there to keep it in place. It is supposed to be torqued to 160-280 ft pounds.

An attempt to make a video of this was made, but the play I wanted to show is so slight that it simply is not visible in the video.

I have also made some progress getting this thing ready for paint. I used USC All Metal for the body work. What appears to be unevenness is wet primer and how it showed up in the pics.

Before

0409161552.jpg100_2824.jpg0721161803.jpg0721161803a.jpg

After

0721161740.jpg0722161838.jpg0722161840.jpg

The linkage on M211 transfer case needs more travel . with your truck jacked up you can check this out . For forward the rod on the transfer case has a spring that pulls the rod in and the wheels on the steering axle will only turn forward . when in reverse the rod needs to be pulled out and the front wheel will only turn back wards . You can unhook the linkage and pull it out with a pry bar with some one turning the front tire to see where it locks in may be that why on later trucks they use air to get more travel .

USMC 00-08

Thank you topo! That is what I was looking for. The truck is still on jack stands and I see the part you are talking about.

Will adjusting that linkage change anything else? My transmission is shifting fine and I don't want to mess any of that linkage adjustment up by changing something further down the line.

USMC 00-08

That is what I was afraid of but thanks to you I know where to make the adjustment now.

Anyone know where to find a set of these linkage adjusting tools?

0724161704.jpg

USMC 00-08

Can someone tell me what the military part numbers for the brake and vent hoses on the differentials are? Are they all the same numbers? I can't seem to find it in my TM's.

USMC 00-08

I've finally got some parts gathered again and will start on transfer case seals, pinion seal and replacing u-joints here soon.

I got these from Tom Wolboldt here on Steel Soldiers. The parts are all in very good condition. Tom has been great to deal with and has very reasonable prices. He also sells parts on eBay, but I am not sure forum rules allow me to mention his username on here. PM me if anyone wants it. He has a lot of NOS G749 parts available. PM him if you are looking for something.

100_2885.jpg100_2888.jpg100_2886.jpg

I was able to get 10 of these transfer case output seals from Memphis Equipment for $2.50 each delivered. They were selling them in packs of 10. I only need one for now so will have extras.

0809161745.jpg100_2889.jpg

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can someone tell me what the military part numbers for the brake and vent hoses on the differentials are? Are they all the same numbers? I can't seem to find it in my TM's.
Sorry I missed this 08, I went through both my ORD 7 SNL G749 'List of All Service Parts' and 'Organizational Maintenance Allowance' books and came up flat. We found a few hydraulic shops that will make up lines for us so we haven't had the need to look for part numbers before. That might be your solution too!!
There is mention of the lines on page 421 d. Installation (4) "connect hydraulic and axle vent flexible hose...." with new copper washers but nothing on part numbers. TM 9-1819AC Ordnance Maintenance has a ton of repair info and details but no hoser numbers. I can't even find the word 'vent' in the book so we're out of luck.
It does look like you got lucky with a pocket full of parts. Goat's owner liked Tom so much he took the trip down and over to his place then got to look around Tom's collection while he dug some parts out for Goat. Something about drool and speechless is how the boys described their adventure.

USMC 00-08

I might have found the number for those but will confirm first. I ordered some NOS hoses from Tom and am going to use them as vent hoses since I already had new manufactured brake hoses installed.

USMC 00-08

The list of things to do on the truck keeps getting smaller. The middle axle output oil seal on the transfer case had been replaced and everything put back how the TM says. There is zero play in it now.

100_2902.jpg100_2906.jpg0821161555.jpg 100_2912.jpg

The middle axle pinion seal has been replaced along with the sleeve the seal fits over. The spring in the old pinion seal wore a groove into the sleeve. I had to bore out some scrap brass to make a tool to press that new sleeve on.

100_2903.jpg0819161937.jpg100_2916.jpg0822160936.jpg100_2913.jpg100_2917.jpg

USMC 00-08

OkieM1008morrison picked up a set of mirrors for me for the M135. I have never seen this type before. The mirrors themselves are replacements but the arms are definitely military. Has anyone seen this type before? The bolt holes line up perfectly on the M135. I really like them and they seem more sturdy than the single mirror arm that most of these trucks have.

100_2907.jpg

restlessrobie

That is what I was afraid of but thanks to you I know where to make the adjustment now.

Anyone know where to find a set of these linkage adjusting tools?

View attachment 635326
What are you adjusting I can look on my truck and I may have something in my tool box that might work. It looks like the throttle to transmission linkage but I want to be sure before I tear into my truck and check what I have :)

USMC 00-08

Yes. That is it. I want to adjust the linkage like the TM says, but it seems like having that tool to get the distance correct is very important. Mine is shifting great, but the front wheels won't engage in reverse when the rears slip. I don't want to mess with it without the tools and then get it where it won't shift how it is supposed to.

restlessrobie

Ok what page are you on in the manual. I am a GM tranny guy so I have lots of odd ball tools so I may have something that works and could ship to you for use. I am pulling the cab apart after I get my brakes in order so it may be a month or so. If you do not mind waiting I am sure I can find something that works.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks