• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 M135 W/Winch

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M135 troop seats

Looks like 3 hairs over 81" at the top and bottom of the old original racks. Goose had a new Ash board put on by my kid and even though he left 4 original boards on it, we're a shade under 81".

Somewhere between a hair and a shade around 81". You can see how the end of the rack sits flush with the inside of the seat post.......and I missed the center post measurements so I'll grab those tomorrow.

2015 stony parade 028.jpg2015 stony parade 020.jpg2015 stony parade 019.jpg2015 stony 100.jpg2015 stony 098.jpg2015 stony parade 019.jpg

Last edited:

drlogistics

What was the price on that Walker carb kit? Does it come with everything needed to re-do a carb that is working but needs some TLC? I redid mine about 2 years ago but it was the first carb I have ever worked on. I plan to take it apart again this winter. That will be the second time I've worked on one!

USMC 00-08

For the fun of it, take a measurement between your rails as they sit now and we'll see how close that is to two 2 sets of original racks that I have.
Looks like we are close. Here is the distance between the racks.
100_2583.jpg

Here is the length of the headboard that I am going to cut to size.
100_2584.jpg

What was the price on that Walker carb kit? Does it come with everything needed to re-do a carb that is working but needs some TLC?
I paid right at around $11 for the kit. I think it will come with everything you need but maybe this picture of the kit will help you decide. I used a military surplus kit when I rebuilt my carburetor in Nov/Dec. My very first one to rebuild too and it needs some slight adjustment still to be right. The Walker kit does not come with new adjustment screws or new brass jets but does have the carburetor base gaskets that the military kit did not have.

I did not have to replace the jets in my carburetor so I did not use the new ones anyway. The openings in them were smaller than what was originally in the carburetor.

I personally like the looks of the Walker kit better. The accelerator pump is the right length and is not all dried out like the surplus one was. I spent a lot of time tracking down a replacement one after that. I plan on getting 4 more of the Walker kits soon for my other carburetors that I have either on trucks or as spares.

Don't forget the governor diaphragm.
http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Hol...2100-2140-4000-Governor-Diaphragm_p_1456.html

Let me know if you need better pictures of the kit and I will get them for you.
100_2546.jpg

Another Ahab

Looks like 3 hairs over 81" at the top and bottom of the old original racks. Goose had a new Ash board put on by my kid and even though he left 4 original boards on it, we're a shade under 81".

View attachment 563653
Measuring in imperial units?

I thought you all were metric up in Canada, plowboy.

In fact outside of the U.S.. Liberia, and some god-forsaken Pacific Island (whose name I forget right now), I always had the impression outside of these 3-4 that the whole world worked in metric.

Is that a misunderstanding on my part about you all up in Canada?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Measuring in imperial units?

I thought you all were metric up in Canada, plowboy.

In fact outside of the U.S.. Liberia, and some god-forsaken Pacific Island (whose name I forget right now), I always had the impression outside of these 3-4 that the whole world worked in metric.

Is that a misunderstanding on my part about you all up in Canada?
We're ambidextrous, Metric came in slowly in the 70's so baby boomers have a grasp of both systems. The lumber industry is mostly imperial but has both measurements and a 2x4 is 39x89mm, silly......That did not make life easier so a lot of the industry never changed. It was only a few years ago our City architects started using metric on the drawings. We'd bid lumber prices back in feet and inches because that's how the lumber industry bid to us. We end up working with both systems just like on our CUCV's.

Looks like 28" OC between the middle posts and a funky 25 3/8" between the center of the outside bolt and the center of the middle post bolt.

Attachments

Another Ahab

We're ambidextrous, Metric came in slowly in the 70's so baby boomers have a grasp of both systems. The lumber industry is mostly imperial but has both measurements and a 2x4 is 39x89mm, silly......That did not make life easier so a lot of the industry never changed. It was only a few years ago our City architects started using metric on the drawings. We'd bid lumber prices back in feet and inches because that's how the lumber industry bid to us. We end up working with both systems just like on our CUCV's.
Yeah, I agree with you there, plowboy, 39mm x 89mm IS silly.

But anybody will tell you that no 2x4 is actually 2x4 (closer to 1-1/2' x 3-1/2"), and "2x4" is only the nominal dimension (and not the actual milled dimension).

So, a nominal 2x4 in metric would be 50mm x 100mm (+/-), and THAT seems to work fine, don't you think!? You could cal them "5x10's".
(Full disclosure: I'm OK with metric.)

Last edited:

USMC 00-08

My years long search for a hardtop is finally over. Just picked it up today and it is in really good shape considering it's age and will clean up very nice. I'm really happy with it. :D

Hard top.jpg100_2586.jpg100_2585.jpg

USMC 00-08

I have run across the aftermarket hardtops, but they just did not look right to me. I prefer the original military ones too. We don't get near the snow you do, but it rains here all the time. I'd like to figure out how to re-dye the cab canvas set I have and then waterproof it with Canvak. It is really nice except for the fading and is not all that waterproof. I'll probably save it for one of the other trucks.

There wasn't a muffler on the truck the hardtop came off of. The man had two other M211's. One had the usual rusted out muffler and the other had an aftermarket exhaust system on it that looked rusted as well. I did think to look for mufflers and would have grabbed good ones to pass along to those in need if there would have been any. Sorry I couldn't come through on that.

None of the M211's had any of the heater components. I would like to get that some day as well too.

USMC 00-08

I do not know for sure but I have heard people say that the Marines "acquired" some and used them in Korea. Other than that, I don't know that they used them.

Most people say they were used extensively by the Army during the Korean War and then passed on to Guard and Reserve units who used them into the 1970's. The Canadians used them into the early 1980's. I really wish there was more information/history out there on these trucks.

EwaMarine

That would be awesome. So as to not offend the Army guys, you could get a unit marking off a army unit involved in that action, and use those markings...then get a sweet USMC Chosin era clothing set , and display her that way at living history events or airshows...;)

USMC 00-08

I learned how to adjust the intake and exhaust valves yesterday. All of my exhaust valves were a few thousandths of an inch too tight as was one or two of the intake valves.

That old 302 really started purring after everything was set according to the TM and Bob Kettler's "GMC Tech Tips".

0515150844.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't that a great sounding engine? When I was helping SuperDave with his truck one day, he asked me to fire it up. I started smacking the throttle with my foot to grab some RPM because I couldn't hear the engine running, like in ol' Goose. At 300 RPM you can't hear his run in his "Caterpillar Foam Insulated Cab".

Tape a camera to a cross-member somewhere and make us a cruisin' video someday.

USMC 00-08

It sounded a lot like a big sewing machine when we finished up the adjustments.

The carburetor is my next thing to look at. It was rebuilt a few months ago, but I think the float is not set right. It tries to load up when it has been idling for a little bit and floods easy if I pump the pedal one too many times when I start up when it has been sitting for a while.

Making a video is on the to do list. Will need to get something that takes better video than what I have first.

USMC 00-08

OkieM1008morrison and I did some trading and I ended up with 7 really nice 11.00X20's that are near new.

0628151738.jpg0628151757.jpg

I am thinking about taking a set of wheels off of one of my parts trucks, cleaning them all up and putting these tires on. Does anyone know of a good source for liners and tubes?

Last edited:

USMC 00-08

Can the old tubes that leak be patched or is that a no-no on truck tires?

It is raining 11.00x20's at the moment. My brother just singled out his M818 and is giving me the tires that came off of it. Will be August before I pick them up.

Looks like I have 14 Titan T Hawk 373's and 3 Coopers.
20150629_162850.jpg20150629_162830.jpg20150629_162900.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks