• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 Studebaker V18A/MTQ

JDToumanian

Victory is Mine!

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=159399

$1280 isn't too bad, eh? I spoke to the contact at the campus (Cal. Poly. San Luis Obispo) and he said some interesting things... I won't be able to pick it up until mid to late January because they are searching for the title / requesting a duplicate. He said the school has owned it since the 1950s, and he thinks that it was purchased new, tacked on to a military contract. It has always been stored indoors except for the past year. He said it was hardly ever used and is in excellent condition.

I needed another truck like I need a hole in the head, but it's exciting nonetheless...

Regards,
Jon

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds very interesting! You lucky dog. :mrgreen:

ida34

Speaking of the idiot. The truck is back with a $1000 starting bid.

Nice pull on this truck. If it is as advertised I think it was a steal. Even if it is not as good as they say what can you expect for $1200? No matter how it shakes out you got a good deal.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats Jon!

With two more MV's in the drive way, is Stormy still living with you? :wink:

Trivia question, when did it change to M764 and get dual rear wheels?

JDToumanian

Thanks Guys! When I got my first deuce, I never thought I'd end up with a 'collection', but it's a great hobby and I'm having a lot of fun with my trucks. My girlfriend Stormy still rolls her eyes, but after I likened it to 'Tonka trucks for big boys', and asked the question - 'Do little boys want just one Tonka truck? NO! They want the Tonka dump truck, Tonka cement mixer, etc.', she understands.... Or should I say 'tolerates'. She already knows I'm watching for a deal on a wrecker...

I'll post the pictures from the austion listing here in case they disappear or someone can't see them, but I don't have any new pics because I haven't seen it in person yet. But you can bet I'll bring my camera with me on my first tow bar adventure!

Jon

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Such a great score Jon. I'm tickled that you got such a rare truck. Please don't put a 6.2 and 700R4 in it!

lacoda56

Don't want to get off topic here, but I couldn't figure out what truck you guys were talking about with the blazer axles, then I found it. Good lord, and the guy says it was done for fuel economy? Some peoples kids..... :cookoo:

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
That is such a deal I would not have walked away from it either regardless of what the wifey said. I can see you even using the rig to set poles again. I have a retirement idea that would be putting that to use big time.

Elwenil

Interesting. A lot of differences in that as compared to the truck Easter Surplus has on their site. That bed looks like a M211'ish style with the large wheel openings.

No.2Diesel

I'm amazed that the College would actually trouble themselves with finding the title before they sold it to you. Thats great. I love that 1950's dull yellow. (not being sarcastic.)

How far is San Luis Abyssmal from your location? Will you tow it?

JDToumanian

How far is San Luis Abyssmal from your location? Will you tow it?
Yes, the plan is to tow it with my deuce and towbar. It's just under 200 miles each way, about half of it on the 101 (Pacific Coast Highway) and the other half on smaller highways across the Mojave desert. I plan to rebuild all 6 wheel cylinders on my deuce before the trip, and add weight to the bed to improve braking. I'll have lots of tools and several spare tires, and a friend will be going with me to help.

Jon