• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 “gasser” deuce build thread/ adventure

RodUSMC1962

The gas engine does not have the power of a multifuel but unless you are driving in steep hills, you will not notice it, if you do you just have to gear down and sit back and wait. :beer:

silverbullet72tnt

I'm planning on using the truck for hauling things around town, I have an F350 and a trailer if I need to go long distances.. More for something to just drive and enjoy and tinker with

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
In that case you definitely need to pull the splined hubs - or the front propeller shaft - or the first rear propeller shaft.
Putting the TC in neutral does NOT disconnect the front output shaft!
You could pull the caps AND the axles from the rear. That way nothing will move except the bearings...

but the rear axles will drip gear oil all over when you pull them out.

Have a towel ready to wipe them down and you'll be fine.

silverbullet72tnt

7B7E18C4-A5DD-408D-AAE5-DD2149E6357A.jpgB37E1F58-1588-452A-A6FB-D278CAB7C38C.jpg
Finally got my first deuce towed to the shop today. Started snowing hard again so didn’t dig in very far yet. It’s relatively rust free for New England. Was converted to 12v at some point, not sure if that’ll stay or not.

Got the truck from a buddy for free so I’m only in it for the tow bill, which was pretty cheap.

Its been parked for about bout ten years so I’m gonna pull the plugs and put some oil/mystery oil in the cylinders and see if it’ll turn over by hand.

Its supposed to to warm up next week so I’ll report back then.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great for being 65 years old!!! I'm working on an ex-forestry deuce that has almost the color scheme and I kinda like it. Looking forward to updates.

silverbullet72tnt

Anyone know if a 24v generator from a jeep is interchangeable with a deuce? The ones I found for sale list m38, m37 and m35 as fitment. I just happen to have one from an m38. But the one from the deuce is missing

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks