• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 Stude M275 Can't find manuals need brake help. . .

I have a 1953 Studebaker M275, I have been trying to find manuals for this unit but have had no luck yet.

Anywho, i bought this truck a while back from a young kid and the truck hasn't had any brakes in some time, but like a good trucker i drove it home any how:-D.

I would like any and all info on trouble shooting the lack of brakes, I have how ever checked the brake fluid and its full pumpped the brakes a dozen times yet it built up no pressure i cracked open a few bleeders and got nothing no air no fluid.

I was recently informed that this truck has air asissted brakes ?
so dose this mean without it running nothing will flow ?

I don't even know if this truck even bulids up air pressure . . .

If i need to have it running i got a little more work to do as the fuel filters keep plugging up with Rust !

Mike

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I'll give this a try. It does have air assisted brakes. Without air it takes a 900# gorilla to stop the truck but it will stop so...no, you don't need air. The best manual would probaby be TM 9-8022 but thats not a PDF manual. Any series of manuals would have the right information for the brakes, just nothing on the gasser engine. For a general manual dealing with your deuce, go to the top of the page and click on resources, scroll down to tech manuals and search for TM 9-2320-209-10 and TM 9-2320-209-20. Looks for the 1965 versions as these not only deal with gas trucks but also the brakes. The 65 versions were scanned in and may be in several pieces to complete them. If you just want a decent easy to deal with manual (but has nothing on the gas engine) download TM 9-2320-361-10 and TM 9-2320-361-20. Got pics of your truck? I once had a 52 Stude M275 I got from Dave Newman.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I would like any and all info on trouble shooting the lack of brakes, I have how ever checked the brake fluid and its full pumpped the brakes a dozen times yet it built up no pressure i cracked open a few bleeders and got nothing no air no fluid.
all kinds of thiings could be wrong, but rusted out lines pops to mind

I was recently informed that this truck has air asissted brakes ?
so dose this mean without it running nothing will flow ?
properly funtioning brakes "work" even without air (just not very well)

I don't even know if this truck even bulids up air pressure . .
Mike
I could clearly hear the aircompressor over the engine on my gasser, especially If I was behind the cab.

Wow ok thanks for the quick responce ! Ok i will be looking for those manuals i'll write them numbers down and search them out.

Truck is bright yellow with white wheels and a bit beaten up, as far as hearing the air compressor not likely as the exhaust manifold is split just before where the pipe bolts up to it.

I did get this truck from a younger guy that was located in madison, real cocky prick didn't seem to know much but sure talked alot !

I actually took a friend of mine along when i picked it up so i didn't hit him in the mouth to shut him up:evil: !

As for photos i haven't take any yet but i will soon as i wanted to do a before during and after, kind of this what i started with this is what it is now and show how i got there.

Mike

If thats what it should look like i'm missing alot of parts, But it dose have that same short wheel base.

Truck is a bright yellow color, the wheels are snow white the fuel tank looks completely different tho, the 1/4 fenders are gone theres no fifth wheel.

In the sun light you can faintly make "Hooper" on the left door.

Edit:
is there a way for my to save those links for present and future reference ?

Mike

Last edited:
I'll join as many sites as it take to put this truck back on the road ! tho i have only driven it home and a round the Farm a few times i have to admit I fell in love with this truck !

I didn't mean to speak ill of this guy especailly if hes a friend of yours ?

Mike

Last edited:
I love taking photos so next time i messing around with the beast i'll snap a pile of photos.

But first i would like to research this braking system so i know what i'm looking at before i start ripping things apart. . .

Thanks much
Mike

DavidB

StudebakerM275 I live in Bristol,Wi and have a totally restored ,been on cover of Military Vehicles magazine M275a2. Have looked to locate you from previous posts.There will be several HMVs at car show Sunday on Hwy C just west of I94 it will be there.Stop out I would like to meet you.
DavidB

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks