• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1958 Kaiser M52A2 Stuck in Reverse

SneakerZed

My M52 is literally stuck in reverse. The clutch does engage/disengage the transmission. The stick shift is very loose and it feels like the stick shift came off inside the transmission. Any suggestions? Can I unbolt the stick shift cover and take peek without have stuff fly out?

What TM would show me the details of the transmission to include the stick shift/lever?

Thank you

Last edited:

SneakerZed

RIGHT ON! That may be the issue. So can i unbolt the cover on top of the transmission to look?

Does this fit the M52?

Last edited:

mdemars03

Which cover are you trying to take off? I took off all of the channel covers on mine and was able to get to and remove the transmission (yes by dropping it down but there was still a decent amount of stuff to disconnect) without cutting any of the floor. With the transmission channels unbolted and pulled off you have quite a bit of room to work. I would double check before you start cutting the floor.

SneakerZed

The "Shift finger" had come loose so I was able to remove everything and re-assemble without an issue. But I will still need a new shifter. So what specific "Gear Oil" do I need to put in the transmission? I am trying to hunt it down now.

sandcobra164

In mine, I ran 40 weight non-detergent engine oil. I had a noticeable drop in transmission temps. I got the idea from member M35 Tom. He does some very impressive work to include a taller overdrive for the Deuce's.

mdemars03

As MyothersanM1 said, 50 weight oil is best for the Spicer transmissions. They still recommend 50 weight for the transmissions they make now. Granted I know the newer transmission from Spicer are quite different from the transmission in a MV, but the lubricating properties of the oil remain the same.

Screenshot_2016-01-19-18-04-13-1.jpg

There is what Spicer shows on their website. Just my 2cents

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks