• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1958 Kaiser M52A2 Stuck in Reverse

SneakerZed

My M52 is literally stuck in reverse. The clutch does engage/disengage the transmission. The stick shift is very loose and it feels like the stick shift came off inside the transmission. Any suggestions? Can I unbolt the stick shift cover and take peek without have stuff fly out?

What TM would show me the details of the transmission to include the stick shift/lever?

Thank you

Last edited:

SneakerZed

RIGHT ON! That may be the issue. So can i unbolt the cover on top of the transmission to look?

Does this fit the M52?

Last edited:

mdemars03

Which cover are you trying to take off? I took off all of the channel covers on mine and was able to get to and remove the transmission (yes by dropping it down but there was still a decent amount of stuff to disconnect) without cutting any of the floor. With the transmission channels unbolted and pulled off you have quite a bit of room to work. I would double check before you start cutting the floor.

SneakerZed

The "Shift finger" had come loose so I was able to remove everything and re-assemble without an issue. But I will still need a new shifter. So what specific "Gear Oil" do I need to put in the transmission? I am trying to hunt it down now.

sandcobra164

In mine, I ran 40 weight non-detergent engine oil. I had a noticeable drop in transmission temps. I got the idea from member M35 Tom. He does some very impressive work to include a taller overdrive for the Deuce's.

mdemars03

As MyothersanM1 said, 50 weight oil is best for the Spicer transmissions. They still recommend 50 weight for the transmissions they make now. Granted I know the newer transmission from Spicer are quite different from the transmission in a MV, but the lubricating properties of the oil remain the same.

Screenshot_2016-01-19-18-04-13-1.jpg

There is what Spicer shows on their website. Just my 2cents

Last edited: