• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1958 M37 flooded 7 years ago

elkhtr

Would the diesel help with rust?
It wont remove what is already there, but it will help stop more damage. Also as already said, it will help flush out contamination that is there. Years back we helped some fellow commercial fisherman that had there boat submerged in salt water. We did the same thing to their engine, filled it with diesel, barred it over, drained and flushed, etc. they went home under their own power a couple of days later.

SteveKuhn

The Aberdeen buy/sell thread is here. If you know you need something or think you'd like to have it, post it.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?138983-Aberdeen-2015-Buy-Sell-Thread

Everything about the truck's future depends on following the advice given above for evaluating its condition. You don't say you flat-bedded it, so if you flat-towed it home without lighting up the tires or skidding the front tires through turns, the running gear can't be locked up and the steering probably moves at least some. That would be good.

From another, '...not a mechanic...": I can tell you that it's a simple, honest vehicle to start on. I might not start pulling the engine apart myself, but I'd drop the pan, open up the brakes and wheels, and do the other checks on my own. Start shopping around for a local real mechanic (not a car dealer parts swapper) who you can call on for advice and to give jobs you can't or handle or have the money to sub. The more you know walking in the door, the better you'll be able to evaluate him and get an idea of price-to-fix.

Perhaps this will not be talking down. Buy a case of PB Blaster or Kroil on sale (and/or a can of the liquid and an old-style, puck-a-puck-a thumb-on-the-bottom oil can), a couple of hammers from tap-tap-sized to up to BFH, a torch (even a propane turbo torch) and a fire extinguisher. The manual hammer-drive impact sets can be very effective at about $30. Using that stuff is better than snapping bolts. Rule of thumb if you need to buy tools and select Harbor Freight: Buy on sale and buy 2. If the wrench snaps or fits crappy, you have a backup to get through the day. Much as I'd rather buy the good stuff, that method has gotten me the stuff I needed at a steep discount from the good stuff. If you buy jack stands, consider the 6 tons because they're taller. Your M37 has a lot of ground clearance and the height will pay off. Cinder blocks and the like are verboten. That's a 3 ton truck.

Determining success factors are bank account, determination, imagination, patience. I really want to hear (and see photos) of your progress.

Steve

1943ht

VESMAN, right down the road in York .... have lots of experience with the M37 ...even managed to drag my 53 here with me from WI, while I'm attending school ...give me a call @ 715.821.9426 ....

vesman

VESMAN, right down the road in York .... have lots of experience with the M37 ...even managed to drag my 53 here with me from WI, while I'm attending school ...give me a call @ 715.821.9426 ....
Hey, are you still in the area? I left you a VM but haven't heard from ya. My cell is 410-689-9483.

1943ht

Graduated from school in Aug 2015 and moved to Prescott AZ. Sorry I missed your call, but I did not have any voice mails left on my phone recently ....are you sure you called the correct number ? 715.821.9426

vesman

Hello Everyone, it has been 2 years and i finally got this project moving. We moved to upstate NY and found the local McGuiver. He tore apart the top of the engine, he thought it was going to need machined but he was able to clean it and get everything looking good. We need some stuff, hopefully someone can point me in the right directions. We need new headbolts, head gasket, spark plugs, thermostat gasket, and oil filter. Thanks! As soon as i get my phone working, i'll post some engine pics

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Everyone, it has been 2 years and i finally got this project moving. We moved to upstate NY and found the local McGuiver. He tore apart the top of the engine, he thought it was going to need machined but he was able to clean it and get everything looking good. We need some stuff, hopefully someone can point me in the right directions. We need new headbolts, head gasket, spark plugs, thermostat gasket, and oil filter. Thanks! As soon as i get my phone working, i'll post some engine pics
It's rare that folks come back and follow up! You could post a Parts Wanted Ad in the Classifieds section for the items that you're looking for.

BigDawg41

Where abouts in upstate NY are you located in?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on the follow-through, most would not stick with the amount of work needed. And I'll add to the previous thank-you for letting us know how she's doing, and that she's getting the attention a veteran deserves. I'm a bit too far away to help, sorry, but I wish you well.

Keep posting, this is a VERY helpful group. If we can't get you parts or known techniques for fixes and improvements, we'll at least provide encouragement.

Bulldogger

vesman

The engine was cleaned and put back together, now it's time to start moving towards some other issues. Does this require a special ignition switch for the 24 system or will any ignition switch work? Also, any recommendations for batteries?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks