• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1971 Am M109A3

rockman

I usually check my DOT 5 every month or so. Also, the multi-fuel engine is not really made for serious engine braking so you need to be careful and not overrev it. The manuals help you appreciate your truck even more....they are amazing

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's threads like this that make me understand why DRMS is reviewing the "safety" of the EUC items!:roll: The brakes on these trucks are late 40's technology, I would think any semi-experienced mechanic would look at any mid-60's or earlier car/truck brake system due to the single system brakes before they even attempted to drivethe vehicle. That is let alone on a 14,000 pound truck! I don't mean to be harsh, but there are alot of very experienced MV personnel on this forum where experience can be gained. Anyone can learn quickly just by doing some simple searches and researching topics and asking when you run into problems. The reason everyone seems rather boisterous about this topic is that an accident let alone a preventable accident can end our hobby. Updating the brakes (jake brake/stainless lines) are not always an option either. Several members have VERY rare or one of a kind trucks where that is not an option and an origional brake system is the way to go. If the brake systems are kept up they are safe. I NEVER drive either of my dueces without checking fluid and doing a thorough walkaround. As far as your truck: I'll bet if you fill the M/C up, (and attach a hose to the bleeders as you go to prevent fluid from going all over), and start bleeding with the airpack then go to wheel cyls like the manual says to get it bled correctly, then have someone stand on the brake pedal for a few minutes you will see the leak. It will either be in a line, wheel cylinder, M/C, or airpak. The system is very, very basic, but must be right before being driven. I have driven mine through Houston too, but you never know what is going to happen. I was pulling another duece 2 months ago and had a cop (imagine that) pull out in front of me. I was pulling myself up off the seat standing on the brake pedal. I barely missed hitting him broadside (think he had to clean his shorts). Moral of the story, you never know what is going to happen. Fix it right, and be safe!:wink:

jim-m35a2

"Thanks for the soap box story buddy. Yes it has full insurance. Listen say what you will, did you check your brake fluid every day last week in the car you drive every day? Do you do things the way the manual says for your car you drive everyday, I BET NOT! Is your tire pressure correct? Do you own a tire pressure equalizer? so listen throw stones all you want, your just as guilty as I buddy and everyone else on this board. I normally would not of drove the truck without knowing. My truck was also in perfect restored/rebuilt shape when i bought it as well... Did you know that?"

If your Deuce was in perfect restored/rebuilt shape, your brakes would not have went out on you............LOL

Jim
________
Cat Wheels

Last edited:

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I sure hope that we all have our Turkey Dinners digested and are happy now. I am sure that our fellow Steel Soldier feels bad loosing his brakes and I can tell you I lost one side on my Suburban on a panic stop due to a rusted line and the pin hole it allowed in a panic stop. We have not heard what leak caused his dry master cylinder. I know we all get a bit testy when someone makes a comment that we mistake and then the testosterone kicks in. That is one reason the Bible says in the Proverbs that a soft answer turns away wrath. I own a fewl of these trucks and would like to see what the problem was since right now the only one driving mine are my sons and they most certainly would not check that fluid before driving.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the brake systems are kept up they are safe.
FWIW, the Federal Safety administration required dual circuit master cylinders in all vehicles manufactured after 1968(going by memory). These trucks continued to use a single circuit system until 1985(give or take a few years). These trucks were never safe if maintained as designed as far as the Federal Safety Standards for American cars and trucks goes. Remember they were never designed to be "DOT" compliant.

When driving them(mv) we need to be familiar with what we have and do our best to drive and maintain them in as safe a manor as posible.

Neosin

I could not agree with you more. I do plan to install a exhaust brake and stainless lines as I can get them custom made very cheap. Custom hoses do not cost all that much and I would see them as a safer brake system all together. From all the forums i have been on busted brake lines seem to be the largest factor. I know for the 2 1/2 ton trucks using the 5 ton lines up front help with wear, i'm gonna have lines made off the 5ton lines so that they won't bind, pinch or stretch in full over. I think this might be one of the major design flaws to the brake system and why maybe people bust front lines so much. According to the manual putting 5ton lines on is a mandatory update. I'm making a full report of my brake upgrages costs, etc and will put it on my website later for you guys to check out when I'm finshed.

It's threads like this that make me understand why DRMS is reviewing the "safety" of the EUC items!:roll: The brakes on these trucks are late 40's technology, I would think any semi-experienced mechanic would look at any mid-60's or earlier car/truck brake system due to the single system brakes before they even attempted to drivethe vehicle. That is let alone on a 14,000 pound truck! I don't mean to be harsh, but there are alot of very experienced MV personnel on this forum where experience can be gained. Anyone can learn quickly just by doing some simple searches and researching topics and asking when you run into problems. The reason everyone seems rather boisterous about this topic is that an accident let alone a preventable accident can end our hobby. Updating the brakes (jake brake/stainless lines) are not always an option either. Several members have VERY rare or one of a kind trucks where that is not an option and an origional brake system is the way to go. If the brake systems are kept up they are safe. I NEVER drive either of my dueces without checking fluid and doing a thorough walkaround. As far as your truck: I'll bet if you fill the M/C up, (and attach a hose to the bleeders as you go to prevent fluid from going all over), and start bleeding with the airpack then go to wheel cyls like the manual says to get it bled correctly, then have someone stand on the brake pedal for a few minutes you will see the leak. It will either be in a line, wheel cylinder, M/C, or airpak. The system is very, very basic, but must be right before being driven. I have driven mine through Houston too, but you never know what is going to happen. I was pulling another duece 2 months ago and had a cop (imagine that) pull out in front of me. I was pulling myself up off the seat standing on the brake pedal. I barely missed hitting him broadside (think he had to clean his shorts). Moral of the story, you never know what is going to happen. Fix it right, and be safe!:wink:

Neosin

Have you seen any dual circuit master cylinders kits? I've seen a few for other stuff but havn't found one for my m109A3... any ideas?

FWIW, the Federal Safety administration required dual circuit master cylinders in all vehicles manufactured after 1968(going by memory). These trucks continued to use a single circuit system until 1985(give or take a few years). These trucks were never safe if maintained as designed as far as the Federal Safety Standards for American cars and trucks goes. Remember they were never designed to be "DOT" compliant.

When driving them(mv) we need to be familiar with what we have and do our best to drive and maintain them in as safe a manor as posible.

Neosin

Ya know when ya speak of the bible ya have to drop all the stupid stuff and just get back to work ;)

As soon as I find my problem I will update on it. I have not had a chance to get at it with work, but will this week sometime.

I sure hope that we all have our Turkey Dinners digested and are happy now. I am sure that our fellow Steel Soldier feels bad loosing his brakes and I can tell you I lost one side on my Suburban on a panic stop due to a rusted line and the pin hole it allowed in a panic stop. We have not heard what leak caused his dry master cylinder. I know we all get a bit testy when someone makes a comment that we mistake and then the testosterone kicks in. That is one reason the Bible says in the Proverbs that a soft answer turns away wrath. I own a fewl of these trucks and would like to see what the problem was since right now the only one driving mine are my sons and they most certainly would not check that fluid before driving.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the latest manufactuered M35A2's (85-88), used dual air packs for the same end effect, 2 brake circuits.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm guessing no one is making a kit to do that huh lol Sounds like something to make...
Not that I know of, sorry. I think the brake system info is on the site here in the TM section, for the dual circuit system. It's in TM SMARP-2320-209-14&P

Last edited:

nk14zp

Thanks a ton! Yes, I completely agree. When i bought it, the owner told me it was air brakes. I started looking around after no brakes and said "What the hell" lol Yea so that's where i'm at now. I'm very mechanical inclined and have about 80 percent truck figured out. Stupid me just thought it's air brakes... and just took his word for it. That part is my fault for sure.

Anyways thanks for the info...
Want to buy a bridge?

otisroy

Anyone have pics of their remote filler install? Looks like a great idea and relatively simple. I'm thinking of doing that for both of my trucks. They spend most of their time in the sand and I'm worried that I might contaminate the fluid when I'm checking.

Rebelpride

My 2cents. If your a newbie and ask a question and someone gives you a gruff chastising remark (had a few) sure it may piss ya off but it may be what saves yours and others life and your truck.

KaiserM109

Having been one of those that have been without brakes … This is not Monday night quarterbacking, these are real world experiences.

Interesting thread! It’s a little old, but I’ll toss my 2 bits in anyway. About 1 hour after the picture in my avatar was taken I lost ALL brakes in heavy traffic in Manhattan, KS. CLUNK all the way to the floorboards. I puckered up so hard that I pulled 5# of cotton out of the seat.

I can still see a guy in a new green Chevy PU with eyes as big as a silver dollars. I was in the turn lane and he was coming through. I yanked the “parking brake” down shifted to 2nd, which I now know didn’t help, and steered for the median strip. I figured that I’d rather take out signs than cars. The front axle popped up over the curb, the second axle popped up over the curb, the third axle started up and then dropped back.

CAUSE: WATER IN THE AIR LINES!! When picking up a new truck or one that has been sitting for a while, pump up the air and drain it before you move it. I got 1/2 pint of water out of 1 tank!!

Maintenance: I am planning to change out all rubber components of the braking system; this includes the seals in the master cylinder and the rubber cups in the wheel cylinders. These trucks are old and even if they have low mileage, rubber deteriorates by time.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting thread? I think that would be an understatement. :)

One of my M35s lost brakes a about three months ago and I have not had time to look at it but I suspect it is the left front cylinder or maybe the line.

With no brakes it was certainly a high pucker factor driving it into my new barn. :)

KaiserM109

I helped Bushman5000 retrieve an M109A3 from Norman, OK. The truck had no brakes from the start and there was evidence that fluid had leaked out of the rearmost right wheel. Long story short, the wheel cylinder had allowed all of the fluid between it and the MC to leak out. We refilled and bleed the MC and that wheel and they started working well. We pumped the brakes periodically as we drove it the 700 mi. back to NE Colorado with no leaks. Later it leaked again while parked.

This is why I am going to go through all the cylinders in my M109A3.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks