• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1976 Canadian 5/4 ton - New acquisition

charlietango

Yeah man. Warner Bros even paid me to display it at the Willy Nelson concert to advertise for the Johnny Knocksville dukes movie. Had a paystub. Made it legit ;)

rustystud

The 68-70 charger is my dream car. I want a 69 General Lee from the show dukes of hazard and a 70. From the fast and furious movies
Both my good buddies had 1969 Chargers. Did you know that the trunk emblem is of a turbine ? Originally the Charger was going to have a Turbine engine made in Italy. The US government basically refused Chrysler to bring in an engine from Italy as the US doesn't allow foreign engines in it's cars ! That's why the engine compartment is so wide on this model car.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think someone wet his pants seeing those photos, and guess what , I also have a Mopar sitting in my shop, it's a CA car , 74 Dodge Coronet Police special factory 440, just because we drive slow most of the time doesn't mean we don't like to go REALLY fast once in a while,

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok. That's cool.
You can probably get some lock in hubs for it to help with fuel and handling.
They are NP 203 transfer cases and they make a kit you can install to convert them to part-time 4x4 . They are a chain drive transfer case and the chains stretch over time . No lockers in them , by design the mid-70's full time truck would engage the front drive in slippery conditions at low speeds without being locked in ( high loc, low loc with the floor shifter). They were designed to disengage the front drive between 20-25 mph unless locked in . They were a good set-up in snowy northern regions as daily drivers but were lacking for heavy off-road use.
Edit; from 1974 to 1979 the NP203 was the only transfer case available with a automatic transmission.

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are NP 203 transfer cases and they make a kit you can install to convert them to part-time 4x4 . They are a chain drive transfer case and the chains stretch over time . No lockers in them , by design the mid-70's full time truck would engage the front drive in slippery conditions at low speeds without being locked in ( high loc, low loc with the floor shifter). They were designed to disengage the front drive between 20-25 mph unless locked in . They were a good set-up in snowy northern regions as daily drivers but were lacking for heavy off-road use.
Edit; from 1974 to 1979 the NP203 was the only transfer case available with a automatic transmission.
Better than you think. They stood up to much abuse. The front drive was never disengaged.
The interaxle differential allowed for varying speeds to prevent drive line binding. Part way through the 1978 model year the gears and chains were improved. They went from a 2.5" chain to a 2" and had a steeper pitch to the gear teeth which elimiinated the chain slip that happened on earlier years with stretched chains.

I have a spare one from a 1979 3/4 ton Suburban that was equipped with a T400 transmission. It has been part timed with a new shaft and planetary replacement with parts I bought from Bob Chandler many years ago. Might use it in a CUCV one day.

Attachments

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better than you think. They stood up to much abuse. The front drive was never disengaged.
The interaxle differential allowed for varying speeds to prevent drive line binding. Part way through the 1978 model year the gears and chains were improved. They went from a 2.5" chain to a 2" and had a steeper pitch to the gear teeth which elimiinated the chain slip that happened on earlier years with stretched chains.

I have a spare one from a 1979 3/4 ton Suburban that was equipped with a T400 transmission. It has been part timed with a new shaft and planetary replacement with parts I bought from Bob Chandler many years ago. Might use it in a CUCV one day.
The chain is still a weak point . I'm very familiar with them , bought my 1st truck with a NP203 in 1980 (1975 F-250) and still have it along with several wore out transfer cases . Ford quit using them in 1976 , 1977 models had the NP205 with automatic transmission a much better setup.

rustystud

The chain is still a weak point . I'm very familiar with them , bought my 1st truck with a NP203 in 1980 (1975 F-250) and still have it along with several wore out transfer cases . Ford quit using them in 1976 , 1977 models had the NP205 with automatic transmission a much better setup.
Yes the NP205 was a superior transfer-case to all those chain-drive units. The problem was the weight and only 2:1 gear reduction. I know there are after-market gears you can buy now, but the factory never offered them.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes the NP205 was a superior transfer-case to all those chain-drive units. The problem was the weight and only 2:1 gear reduction. I know there are after-market gears you can buy now, but the factory never offered them.
The Np203 and NP205 had basicly the same gear ratios in these years.

NP203 high 1.00:1 low 2.01:1
Weight: ~ 200 lbs.

NP205 high 1.00:1 low 1.96:1
Weight: 130 - 140 lbs dry.

Last edited:

charlietango

Thanks for the info guys...very good info. Be a good idea to maintain the chain then and it shouldn't be an issue. Chains stretch. It is what it is

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info guys...very good info. Be a good idea to maintain the chain then and it shouldn't be an issue. Chains stretch. It is what it is
Chains are one of the main problems . With a part-time conversion in them you have to over fill them with oil, as they won't oil right if you don't . just compare the parts diagrams.

NP203 parts diagram ; https://www.google.com/search?q=np2...LAhWDWCYKHehOCXAQsAQIGw#imgrc=6QNZkuNiVHIGgM:

NP205 parts diagram ; https://www.google.com/search?q=np2...=bI_rVsWEMYPQmwGE2Yr4Bg#imgrc=klVUg4yumHXTDM:

charlietango

I will be leaving it the factory setup. That chain may very well be 40 years old for all I know. Be a good idea to change it. I imagine them breaking can be catastrophic to the casing? Hope new chains are as good as factory ones ....doubt it

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be leaving it the factory setup. That chain may very well be 40 years old for all I know. Be a good idea to change it. I imagine them breaking can be catastrophic to the casing? Hope new chains are as good as factory ones ....doubt it
I've never broke a chain . If it seems to operate proper I wouldn't worry about it . When the chain gets stretched you feel it when you take off and between forward and reverse . The spider gears in the front go when the chain gets bad.

charlietango

Front driveshafts have their own issues that can exhibit similar clunky takeoff? Obviously rear U joints and lots of Chevys have the reverse to drive clunk at the rear axle.

rustystud

I've never broke a chain . If it seems to operate proper I wouldn't worry about it . When the chain gets stretched you feel it when you take off and between forward and reverse . The spider gears in the front go when the chain gets bad.
Yes the chains stretch. I've only seen one chain break and that transfer-case had been horribly abused ! The problem with stretching is then your gear timing goes out the window as "porkysplace" mentioned. Your front axle is always a few degrees out from the rear axle. To check this twist the front driveshaft. If the chain is stretched the driveshaft will turn while the rear shaft doesn't move. You will hear it clunk as you twist it also.

charlietango

I really appreciate the info Gents! I will definitely toss it in the air and check that. Need to do a rear wheel cylinder anyway. Happy St.Pattys day! (Also Regimental Day for the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry FYI. ..)

ScottG2005

Hey guys,

The fleet is still growing slowly. This is one of the Canadian pattern simply called the 5/4 (nicknamed "fivequad") commercial pattern vehicle. It's a 1976, has a gas 350 in it and the AWD system Chev had back in the day.

Enjoy
Good looking old truck. I can smell it through my phone screen haha. I'm new to the forums here

snowtrac nome

the transfercase was a np 203 they had a center differential with chain drive, they were heavy as he double toothpick. mile marker made a part time conversion that changed the operation of the t- case to part time and allowed the installation of locking hubs. those old full time trucks handled real good on snow and ice but were expensive to maintain between cv joints in the front drivelines and gas.

ScottG2005

the transfercase was a np 203 they had a center differential with chain drive, they were heavy as he double toothpick. mile marker made a part time conversion that changed the operation of the t- case to part time and allowed the installation of locking hubs. those old full time trucks handled real good on snow and ice but were expensive to maintain between cv joints in the front drivelines and gas.
hello snowtrac I'm new to these forums. I think the 76 5/4 tons had a straight axle dana 44. I'm not really sure if they had a locker. But if they did they'd be great machines. There's not much info on Canadian 5/4 tons. Im kinda a nerd when it comes to cf 5/4 tons. I've been digging up info on them since the beginning of summer of 2019

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks