• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1977 M880 Progress..

Wy-m880

Ok havent had much time but did get 2 days last week to sand down 3 layers of paint, wasnt easy started with 80 grit, that got old real quick,so 60grit got the job done, apparently some point in its life it got a very thick coat of arctic white, which appears it was an alkyd based paint that stuck but didnt alow other paint to stick, so now waiting on the local shop to line-x the bed and inner floor boards, but these are the pics so far:deadhorse:

Attachments

Wy-m880

the truck in the back ground is parts for both the m880 and the 79 short box, i intended to use the m880 that i just sanded down for parts also, but after it sat for a week after draggin it home it kinda told me put a battery in it, after the previous own gave up on it, it fired right up, still thought of scrapping it but left battery in it as i was going to move it the next day and it fired up without pumping the gas, been a dodge person all my life this was the only one that persisted on starting with out a pedal pump and crank, so it kinda grew on me so started working on it and the short box got put on hold, and when i got the part of m880's i got a toole rebuilt transfer case in crate, NOS dodge hood, and rebuild kits for engine, carb, transfer case, and tranny,:p traded all for a 1993 ford f250 460 efi 4x4 5speed truck:p

Attachments

m880 unimog

LOOKS GOOD AND WELL WORTH ANY EFFORT NEEDED-

uh sorry shouting-get carried away with dodges....

very envious of anyone who has a parts truck.:shock:

Wy-m880

Nothing new yet on paint, Diamond vogel, said they would blend me a 5gal can of field drab for $85 but thats cause i know the sales man well from work on our equipment, and thinking iI am going to put the 76 together also, but still looking for dash parts for the 77, but so far this is as far i have gotten, use the truck on dump/garbage runs on weekend.:p

Attachments

Wy-m880

The 76 parts truck serve well for little items, but minus front axle, window and a radiator, its mostly there, and has a straighter box than 77 truck, and runs also, but no paper work on it

Attachments

spartan_185

Nice looking progress on the 880. Ive toyed around with the idea of getting one here lately. The 77 model is my favorite year model, but I love any of em that have the bird bath hood. I currently have a 77 W100 Short box with 440/727 that is under restoration. Its about done now. I dont have any current pics but I do have one from when I bought it. The bad thing is that most body parts/chrome is very hard to find for the civi models. It took me forever to find the tailgate strips for the adventurer package. Its nice to see someone else keeping these old dodges out of the crusher.

Attachments

Wy-m880

That is a beautiful girl you have there spartan!, i say girl cause dodges are BITC#ES but we still love them even though they give use grey hair on finding parts and repairs, unlike chevys that parts are every where...aua, wish we could get something nice like lmc truck for repairs/restorations

spartan_185

That is a beautiful girl you have there spartan!, i say girl cause dodges are BITC#ES but we still love them even though they give use grey hair on finding parts and repairs, unlike chevys that parts are every where...aua, wish we could get something nice like lmc truck for repairs/restorations
Thanks for the comments. Yes they are a pain to deal with and find parts for but I wouldnt trade em for anything. Ordering a resto out of a book just takes the fun out of it.

Wy-m880

Well came to an ambition streak, it was 40 degrees out and got tired of the truck being down, so decided to tear into it, conclusion was sending unit either rotted or broke, but got half way to it and found the problem a hose failed, only problem with dry wyoming climate plastic and rubber hold no chance, last pic is for any one wanting to know original color

Attachments

Wy-m880

I have heard from one other member from rock springs, but attention has been averted toward a M886, been looking for one and found one so it has been top priority, will post some pics as soon as she is dragged home to you all:jumpin:

Wy-m880

Ok today was very productive, the misses thought i was on crack for just starting this project this morning about 9am, and just finished at 3pm, enjoying a budlight chelada, and uploading what todays accomplishment, swapped a whole front axle, w/ springs, and mounted up powersteering, and mounted 4 gy 37x12.50 16.5s on and only thing that went wrong was a worn bushing on front drivers had a b!tc# of a time trying to get old one out and front yolk i snapped a 3/8 ujoint strap bold in yolk off, (which i just removed the drive shaft untill i get big socket or a tap to extract or replace it on yolk,) and this is final product i do have very little rub but it will do for now

Attachments

Last edited:

willybill99

What all did you do to this truck before you sold it. The reason I ask is because i think it is the same truck that i am looking to buy. Did you ever fix the pinion yoke. Any info would be great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks