• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the small screw and lock nut is a great idea , SS would be great and it would make it easier next time somebody has to put new rubber on or repair the vent window . stay safe

Lostforwords

Things are moving along at a crawl with the current COV19 situation being on top of the priorities. I do have plan for getting a few things completed over the weekend on my current project. I hope all are well and safe. Take care and be safe. I hope to post my progress as it happens.

I'm sure myself and the rest of the SS family would agree we want you to be healthy and safe. Take as much time as you need.

cucvrus

I had a partial shipment of parts received today. The wing vent latches. They are very nice and will look great. Now if only I could get the wing vent seals/rubber. I was looking at Red Riding Hood my 1984 M1009 that I have in my center bay. It was built August 1983 a very early build and it has chrome wing vent handles on both windows. I never had the doors apart and I tend to believe they are the original wing vent handles. Just can not imagine both being changed since it was only 11 years old when I bought it and has 12,674 miles on it. It has been in my center bay resting since 1995. Not a debate. they look original to me. I noticed it before but only really thought of it today after I had to hand load a bundle of fence posts that the banding broke on while the guy was loading them on the truck to bring them to me. I had him pull his side rack and dump them on the ground. All is well they are all inside and ready for use. When I get around to that. I may be sheltering in place by Monday. DSCF7044.JPGDSCF7042.JPGDSCF7043.JPGMore later. The weather is nice 72* hope to get somethings completed. Not all CUCV but I hope some.

cucvrus

Even with the shelter in place order in Pennsylvania the motor vehicle maintenance people are exempt. We all have Homeland Security clearance to report to work. Today was the day for windshield installation. The installer is an exempt company also. I had the seal/rubber in the basement since Sunday. It fit right in place. DSCF7045.JPGDSCF7046.JPGIt had minor shrinkage but was quick to conform to shape.DSCF7046.JPGIt was very tight which is good and will assure a tight leakproof seal. DSCF7047.JPGThe new glass is in and the tightener rubber has been reinstalled. Interesting to note is this is a Fuyao shaded replacement glass. It matches the rear window, DSCF7048.JPGMade in China I believe. All done and the rubber looks good inside and out. Thank you for looking I hope to get the mirrors painted today. Not as warm as I like but may do it in a friends garage. he needs some Kubota help. Always a good trader. He sprays the mirrors I fix the Kubota. DSCF7049.JPGBe Safe. And Good Luck with your projects. I never received the pivot rivets for the vent windows. They are on back order. I think a small bolt and nut will work just fine. good enough for me. I had them on the Mule M1009 and no one ever pointed it out to me. Thank you for looking. I hope it helps.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Keep moving along Rick.....she'll be whole before ya know it....and a milestone project will go in the history of S.S. amazing, Sir
I am slowed to a crawl at this point. Cleaning and lubrication are a must before reassembling. It takes hours and lots of cleaning but in the end it is well worth the time. It is nice when you can see your creation with instant results. These are all original parts that have been cleaned, ready for installation with new lock cylinder gaskets. I will report more as it happens later today. I am in for lunch and wanted to report. Be Safe.

Attachments

cucvrus

DSCF7051.JPGOK I am back at it again. Both doors are missing the rubber bump stops at the bottom sash stop. I can always rely on something usable even on a scrap vehicle. Even after fire ax training the fire company doors have usable parts to harvest. DSCF7052.JPGDSCF7053.JPGA little dab of adhesive and good as new. DSCF7054.JPGI removed the door handles and lubed the moving parts and replaced the gaskets. I found a stash of GM ones in my hoard. DSCF7055.JPGI also cleaned and lubed as I went and reassembled the inside remote handles. DSCF7056.JPGI installed the door strikers and adjust the doors to close nicely and in alignment. DSCF7057.JPGDSCF7058.JPGI also found some new corner door frame rubbers and installed them. I don't like a metal on metal door to door frame. DSCF7059.JPGDSCF7060.JPGI am still waiting for a few parts to get the doors back together. Also I was not able to paint mirrors because I needed help with a few of the Kubota repairs and the weather took a change today. No rush. I want premium results not hasty poor quality. With any luck I can have the doors completed in a week and then it will be time to scrub the upholstery. Thank you for your positive encouragement. It is always welcome. Be Safe and Take Care.

cucvrus

Today was a damp dreary day after work so I decided to disassemble the wing vent frames. I drilled out the rivets and decided I would use a 10/24 truss screw that I ground down and polished flat as possible. I sanded all the parts and thoroughly cleaned them. Everything is taped up and ready for paint. Drilling out the rivets was easy and will be much easier bolting it back together with the 10/24 screws and nylok nuts. The rivet method will be a disaster. I checked it out and I have the room for nuts and bolts and no one will ever see any of these. they will hold everything together. DSCF7063.JPGDSCF7064.JPGDSCF7065.JPGDSCF7066.JPGDSCF7067.JPGDSCF7068.JPGDSCF7069.JPGDSCF7070.JPGDSCF7071.JPGDSCF7072.JPGI used up my pictures on this post and will most more on the next post. Be safe.

cucvrus

With the glass frames still in great shape I decided to let the frames attached. I sanded them well and cleaned everything really good. I taped up the glass and will paint it hopefully tomorrow if the weather holds out. DSCF7076.JPGDSCF7073.JPGDSCF7074.JPGDSCF7075.JPGI have purchased M4 screws, flat washers, and acorn nuts all in stainless steel for the pivot point on the vent windows. The pivot rivets are a real PITA. I will post pictures as progress happens. As the paint is drying I will move onto cleaning the door windows, sash, and oil the regulators. I will keep you all posted. Thank you for your support. This is all easy stuff I am working in my basement tonight or I would have painted. More later. be safe. Take Care. Basically this is a simple task it just takes time to do it right. No rush job. Slow and steady.

cucvrus

After work today it was a decent temperature for some outside painting of the vent window frames. No rubbers have arrived yet so I just set them out cleaned them up with prepsol and painted them. DSCF7077.JPGDSCF7078.JPGDSCF7079.JPGI have been looking at the fuel gauge and getting worried if it worked or not. DSCF7080.JPG I added a 5 gallon can of fresh diesel and the gauge works. That was a relief. I only ever put 3 gallons of fuel in it when I was assembling it. DSCF7081.JPGDSCF7082.JPGI done some more cleaning and sweeping around the shop. Cleaning and putting tools away. I made a decision. More on next post. Be Safe.

cucvrus

And then just like that the M1009 disappeared. DSCF7083.JPGI was letting it run in the shop for about an hour and decided to put everything away from the doorway so I could pull it out into the sunlight. First time out since August 2019. I was also happy to see the dry floor with no spot from leaks. I think it looked much better out in the sunlight. DSCF7084.JPGDSCF7085.JPGDSCF7086.JPGDSCF7087.JPGDSCF7088.JPGNow all I have to do is scrub the interior floor area. On a nice day I plan on using simple green and scrubbing all the interior surfaces real good and rinsing it with the hose. A nice sunny day and it will dry and look good again. The tires and wheels are not doing it for me. But I am NOT in a rush to get it half fast done. I reinstalled the rear gate cover and cleaned the windows. Thank you for looking. The virus has slowed things down a bit and a few businesses are closed. Everything at work is going in slow motion. Tomorrow the mail may come and bring me parts. But either way I still have lots of stuff to clean and work on. Be Safe and Have a Great Day. Thank you for the positive support. DSCF7089.JPGThe Line X will scrub up like new.

cucvrus

I will probably spray it in and scrub as I go. I will be using the garden hose and washing and rinsing as I go. I know it will clean up nice. I did an area that had some dirty oil spilled on it and it came out nice. I am anxious to get it done. It is supposed to be at the GM dealer for Memorial Day. I am still procrastinating on painting the mirrors. Waiting for warm weather again. I am sure I can get them done in the next 2 weeks. Thank you for your encouragement and support.

cucvrus

I was locked out of my regular job today. I went and worked at the crusher dismantling cars and trucks for recycling. Fun times. I work much later and was bushed when I got home. I still had time to dig out a set of M1009 seats that will need scrubbed up. I also received my wing vent window rubbers and am anxious to rebuild them over the weekend. These are nice clean seats. I had the cushions reupholstered back 10 years ago when I rebuilt the entire truck. It basically just sat around. DSCF7094.JPGDSCF7095.JPGI think with some scrubbing they will be just fine. These seats have the fully reclining seat latches on them. I bought them new from GM right after I bought the M1009 in 1995. The covers are still gray. I suppose I will have to paint them. The back seat is also in excellent original condition. I have a center console also that I bought from the dealer back when you could buy every part for them. OEM. DSCF7090.JPGI hope everyone is well. Thank you for the support and Be Safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks