• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

cucvrus

I found another spare tire tie down set and have the tire bolted in place. I was never a fan of the tire hold down. It must be hammered tight to stay rattle free. I have this tight as I can get it by hand. It seems tight. DSCF7232.JPG Gate opens, closes, glass works up and down really well. All is good. Time to call it a day. Nothing completes the day like a road test a couple miles up the road. Not to far I need to get an alignment. I replaced every link and ball joint on the front end. It pulled out and shifted smooth. I expected no less. The transmission has been over hauled at a transmission shop and the transfer case was gone over also. Sounded great and drove smooth. The steering was a bit tricky the wheel not centered. But great as far as I am concerned. DSCF7234.JPGDSCF7235.JPGThe last interior trim piece is the dash pad. It was a brand new GM one and was damaged in an attempted break in. Someone pried into the wing vent glass and used a pry bar and wire to try and open the door. They never got in. Broke the wing vent hinge and handle off but not the glass. It happened while it was sitting. Who know when or who. Someone that had no experience getting in. But they did damage my nice dash pad. DSCF7236.JPG I mean this pad is an original GM one piece steel backing. Every replacement one I have seen is not made like the OEM ones. Even the ones they advertise as OEM GM restoration parts are not made this well. Anyone else have any better experience with these after market dash pads? DSCF7236.JPG I made an .040 aluminum panel glued and screwed it fast to the left side of the dash pad to conceal the damage. I tried grinding and repairing another pad and it was a failure. OK. So here it is. The wart on the whole project. DSCF7237.JPGIt will make a nice place to put maintenance stickers. I don't think it kills the project but whoop there it is. I have been looking for a nicer pad to no avail. Take Care and Be Safe. Thank you for looking.

Attachments

cucvrus

Running a bit behind on my M1009 schedule. This virus has the entire country moving at a crawl. I am helping out destroying vehicles at the crusher. What's not fun about that? I did manage to get a few parts together and if it stays a bit warmer then 50* after 5 I will get right on it. The weekend is coming and I would rather relax and be comfortable than work in wind and cold. It's an elective repair I am doing. More later as it happens. Off to see the crusher. Be Safe and Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

Today was not a leaps and bounds progress day on my CUCV M1009 project. I was being tormented by an M1028 that the owner decided to sand blast the interior floor. I am sorry I got involved. I advised against it and wham here it is in my driveway. You do know what the outcome was and still is. I did manage to get wipers and wiper arms on my M1009DSCF7240.JPGDSCF7241.JPG. I also must clean and paint the air filter housing. Everything looks great under hood except that air filter assembly. Everything is as stock as it can get.DSCF7238.JPGDSCF7239.JPG I hope to get back on it tomorrow but today I was involved in many projects. Happy with my progress. Tomorrow maybe the dash pad will get installed. Maybe. I hope. Everything comes at once. Be Safe and Take Care.

cucvrus

Today was a cold, dreary, and very rainy day. I waited to noon and went down to work on my project. I went for a 10 m/m socket and could not find it. I have several 10 m/m sockets but lost tools are a bad thing. I stopped everything and started looking for 2 missing sockets. An 8 m/m and a 10 m/m. I never found them. I cleaned up an entire corner of my shop by the tool box and no find. I went at installing my dash pad and the right screw was missing so I ended up finding my screw stash and that was about all I completed for the day. Just wasn't into it today. I was more concerned with getting cleaned up and organized. I know the dash pad is dusty but looks great installed again. DSCF7242.JPGDSCF7243.JPGNot completely but at least it is back in the truck. I return to normal working hours again this week so I will try and get more completed daily. This virus has scheduling all messed up. It can leave at any time. Be Safe and Take Care.

cucvrus

Been a long day. After a week of rain and working solo I did manage to get a big task completed on my project. I have had several times where no wait light would light . Well I phoned a friend this AM and ask a few questions. Being that the glow plug card was never changed ever in the 25 years I owned it I decided to make the phone call to the card builder. I replaced the card and my box was still attached to the brake pedal reinforcement where it was installed at Flint Michigan back in 1986. I managed to get it down and open without breaking the push pin. I replaced the card with a fancy new flashing LED yellow light and the Red and Green lights, I switched the key on and the Wait light flashed and stopped flashing. I turned the key and the pistons all started to change holes and bolts were rattling about wildy. I checked the voltmeter and it was just on the edge of green. Then it struck me. The voltmeter was one I found in a stash of voltmeters I have. I reached over on the passengers seat and plugged the original cluster bezel in and Wham again. It was charging as designed. All stock and ready to ROCK. I then went out and cleaned up a big muddy mess in my equipment shed from a big 2 day storm that caused flooding in my yard due to a lovely driveway my neighbor installed. A dam would be what I call it. I guess I need 5 triaxle loads of top soil to combat the water front I have. I will get pictures tomorrow. I have a turret hatch cover and a pintle ring from an APC. I was supposed to bolt it on an M1009 fiberglass roof and never did, That was a whole other story. Be Safe and Take Care. DSCF7249.JPGAnyone know what that hatch is for. And is that a gun mount ring. I have all the hinge parts and ring and spacers. It was project that never got completed. Anybody else have projects like that?

Last edited:

cucvrus

Started out bright and early today. Cleaned a lot of driveway and wanted to get a few things completed. Not to be an over achiever but the time is now. The air filter housing was not treated well after sitting under a bent hood for 10 years. DSCF7250.JPGNothing that a scuff pad and sandpaper couldn't fix. Sanded washed with DX330 and painted semi flat black. Same as new. DSCF7251.JPGDSCF7252.JPGI still have the original washers with the rubber on one side and the locks in the other side. No big deal I use Kept nuts most times. But I had these. may as well use them. DSCF7253.JPGNot bad for a short task that I have been missing every week. Next the cluster and the final touches. I have an alignment scheduled for this week. That should make the phone ring. Every time I take one of these completed CUCV's I get phone calls about buying them from me. Not happening this time. Not sure what the schedule will be for veterans day and the GM dealers show room display. Maybe NOT. This is a strange world we live in. DSCF7254.JPG
Thank You for looking. Be Safe and Take Care.

cucvrus

Minor set back. I have decided to replace the injection pump. It starts cold every time but it just seems to be stumbling a bit on acceleration. I took it for a short drive and it seems that the pump has a bad seal or 2. It shut off twice at a red light and restarted and smoked badly. I am NOT comfortable trusting the injection pump after sitting 10 years. Smart money replaces the injection pump and never looks back. After this long rebuilding journey that is the last thing I want to fail. I had the transmission, transfer case, axles, brakes, alternators, starter, all new leaf springs. etc etc. I will feel better knowing it was done. The next owner will be happier as well. That's my report for the day. Cluster all back in and the sill plates are installed. I drove 125 miles today in my Trail Boss to buy a new dash pad and it was a junk knock off that was painted with a brush. I seen pictures of it on a friends phone and he said the guy had lots of Chevy truck parts. He did have that. All lifted and rusty with lots of body filler. He had a 6.5 diesel from a school bus. I declined buying anything and regretted making the trip. I wore my mask and was scared when I got there. There were 25 guys + - hanging out drinking and shooting assault rifles at barrels with exploding Tanerite. I was gone fast. The dash pad was from LMC or Brothers. I was afraid to tell the guy I didn't want it after the long talk on the phone. I ask if it was all steel under the foam and he said it was an original GM like new. NOT. Be Safe. DSCF7255.JPGDSCF7256.JPGDSCF7257.JPGDSCF7258.JPG

cucvrus

After a week on the car crusher I have the time to get the injection pump removed from my M1009 project. I am going to do a picture tutorial for those that may need to do this task. It is very easy and does not require any special tools except a think 15MM open wrench. I will post pictures later and want to see if I can do better on my time for removal. Thank you.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After a week on the car crusher I have the time to get the injection pump removed from my M1009 project. I am going to do a picture tutorial for those that may need to do this task. It is very easy and does not require any special tools except a think 15MM open wrench. I will post pictures later and want to see if I can do better on my time for removal. Thank you.
I'll be paying close attention as this is a task in my immediate future......thanks again Rick!

cucvrus

I will elaborate on this later. The injection pump is off and ready to send to the rebuilder.

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvrus

I started off early this AM and made great progress on solving the issue and getting the resolution started on it's way. The patient was prepped for surgery. DSCF7262 - Copy.JPGDSCF7263 - Copy.JPGOpen injection pump surgery. The reason for the thin 15mm tappet wrench is because of this. The locked nut on the stud. DSCF7264 - Copy.JPGI took an inexpensive Craftsman 15 MM and 13 MM combo wrench and had it milled down at a machine shop.DSCF7265 - Copy.JPGI removed the CDR valve and all the intake stud's, bolts, and nuts. DSCF7266 - Copy.JPG I removed all the nuts from the delivery nozzles and the 7mm screws from the isolated line brackets next I removed the intake. DSCF7267 - Copy.JPGI placed masking tape in a 13 MM socket to retain the 3 M8 bolts that attach the injection pump to the timing gear that was accessed thru the oil fill tube after it was removed. DSCF7268 - Copy.JPGThis is a poor picture but this is looking thru the oil filler hole in the upper timing cover. DSCF7269 - Copy.JPGDSCF7270.JPGThe 1 of 3 bolts removed from the timing gear. That gear can NOT move out of time so no worries. The pump only fits 1 way and the bolt holes only align in that one correct way.DSCF7271.JPGI use a 15/16" socket on Generator 2 to turn the engine over slowly while I gain access to each injection pump bolt thru the oil fill tube. Pulling up on the belt prevents the belt from slipping. Slow but works well. I still have all the batteries hooked up. No need to disconnect. Be Safe. More on next post.

cucvrus

After getting the injection pump off the engine the problem was crystal clear. DSCF7279.JPGAfter setting for 10 years and getting run from time to time the inside of the injection pump was corroded. After my maiden voyage the pump was greeted with high pressure fuel and it loosed all the particulates and set them freely thru out the injection pump. DSCF7272.JPGDSCF7273.JPGThus the stalling and poor acceleration. I barely made it back into the garage. I have a spare pump core just for this. I removed the lines 1 set at a time and placed them loosely on the core pump as to keep everything in alignment and no guess work or struggle. It really isn't tat hard they only fit one way but I like it for speed of reassembly. DSCF7274.JPGDSCF7275.JPGThe old stripped pump clamped in the vise and ready to be returned. Under the hood is now a barren cavern. DSCF7276.JPG Even after draining the injection pump the dirt and crud is obviousDSCF7277.JPGI have everything set out on a stand and will clean and inspect each piece before and during reassembly. Take Care and Be Safe. It snowed here this AM. Really. Like the world is not weird enough at this time. Thank you for looking and the positive support.

Attachments

cucvrus

I failed to report that I installed the inner fender apron rubber skirts. DSCF7259 - Copy.JPGI recommend these being installed. It keeps a lot of road debris, water, snow and slush off the engine. My particular concern is the glow plugs. It gets enough slush and snow on them that they are awash in moisture and just set there and corrode 24/7. I experienced this on plow trucks and figured out why a few were always so corroded. These in place and dielectric grease applied to the spades with fuel line encapsulating the glow plug made them last indefinitely. I use the stock A C Delco 13G and stock glow plug system. Have a Great Day and Be Safe. DSCF7261 - Copy.JPG

cucvrus

After removing the injection pump and doing a visual of it I seen it was on since 2003.DSCF7281.JPG So 17 years setting or on the road the pump needs replaced. I made an order with DCP in Memphis for a rebuilt one. I have this old pump all boxed up and ready to ship. I don't care if it is the same one or not. DSCF7280.JPGThe local company that rebuilt this pump is long out of business. The internet killed off a lot of local businesses. It really hurt the parts stores also. Central Penn Pump was the company that rebuilt these pumps. Sad when you had a minor issue like I think this pump does they would go over what you have and do the repairs the next few days. Face to face is a thing of the past. I am going out again today and try to do something productive. Be Safe. On another note I snapped off all 3 bolts/screws on the top of a used pump I had here on a good engine. That aluminum case and steel screws is not the greatest set up. I guess that core is scrap. That is why I use that one for holding the delivery lines. DSCF7274.JPG Also note my Son and his Marine buddies went in the side cover and turned the fuel up on the pump so it rolled sweet coal. Not me. I am not into such Tom Foolery.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After getting the injection pump off the engine the problem was crystal clear. View attachment 799312After setting for 10 years and getting run from time to time the inside of the injection pump was corroded. After my maiden voyage the pump was greeted with high pressure fuel and it loosed all the particulates and set them freely thru out the injection pump. View attachment 799313View attachment 799314Thus the stalling and poor acceleration. I barely made it back into the garage. I have a spare pump core just for this. I removed the lines 1 set at a time and placed them loosely on the core pump as to keep everything in alignment and no guess work or struggle. It really isn't tat hard they only fit one way but I like it for speed of reassembly. View attachment 799315View attachment 799316The old stripped pump clamped in the vise and ready to be returned. Under the hood is now a barren cavern. View attachment 799317 Even after draining the injection pump the dirt and crud is obviousView attachment 799318I have everything set out on a stand and will clean and inspect each piece before and during reassembly. Take Care and Be Safe. It snowed here this AM. Really. Like the world is not weird enough at this time. Thank you for looking and the positive support.
I've been driving my 1028 Wrecker for over a year now. It must have been sitting for 15 years and from what I could gather in paperwork it is closer to 20. After reading your posts here I'm going to replace my injection pump as well. I'm pulling the pump and lines from a spare 6.2 out back. It came out if my M1008. I'll exchange the pump with the outfit you mentioned and clean up these old lines. Maybe I'll splurge and get some remanufactured injectors too. Thanks for sharing what you do with us.20200510_100644.jpg
Look at that spider.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I was out working in my barn today. And outside setting up scaffolding to do some roof and chimney repairs to the old barn. It is 100 years old and it needs maintenance from time to time. DSCF7292 - Copy.JPG I bought all the scaffolding to make my work easier. beats the pants off of ladder work and even a bucket truck is a PITA in comparison. I had all my walk boards stored under Little Red M1009. I find the M1009 very useful for storage while in the barn. If all goes as planned I will have that barn bay area for storing my Kubota tractor next year and be able to retire from the CUCV work. Fingers crossed. DSCF7285.JPG Tomorrow the injection pump leaves and I will work on my barn project until it returns. This virus has me getting behind at the moment. I am staying positive till this hoax passes. Thank You for looking and Be Safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks