• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Full report. The M1009 has arrived in Jersey at the exporter. I was told they are preparing it for shipment. That's about all I can do at this point.
Rick; I am curious to know the approximate costs to ship a vehicle overseas. Is there a special insurance rider required for the transit? Are there companies which specialize in such transits?

Glad the vehicle is going to a good home. If my gunite swimming pool had not broke, the M1009 would have come to Kentucky.

Saberr

Love your wifes thinking. Those are very clear and written big ( someone will ignore it). Amaze how many these go to germany. Aparently the brother to the one i have went to germany, and mine would of gone. Only reasone it didn't is the after market drivers seat and rims. Apparently germany won't or make a huges fuss about importing a modified car.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rick; I am curious to know the approximate costs to ship a vehicle overseas. Is there a special insurance rider required for the transit? Are there companies which specialize in such transits?

Glad the vehicle is going to a good home. If my gunite swimming pool had not broke, the M1009 would have come to Kentucky.
It's about €2000 or $2400.

Love your wifes thinking. Those are very clear and written big ( someone will ignore it). Amaze how many these go to germany. Aparently the brother to the one i have went to germany, and mine would of gone. Only reasone it didn't is the after market drivers seat and rims. Apparently germany won't or make a huges fuss about importing a modified car.
I believe these trucks get "old-timer" status (40 years or older) in Germany, meaning they are exempt from road taxes and lower insurance rates, making them affordable to drive.

cucvrus

I did not make the shipping arrangements. I just had my Wife give them the truck when they showed up to ship it.
I also want to add she told the guy all about the starting and how much we cared for the truck. See also told the guy she wanted pictures of it sitting in New Jersey at the exporter. By 1:30 yesterday we had pictures of it sitting at the exporter. The guy that picked it up was impressed with the M1009. He was expecting a 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer. My Wife became very interested when I threw in a new hardwood floor in the dining room for all her help on this project. And no I don't install flooring. I pay to have that done. I am too fussy and if I can't suit myself on anything I do I just don't do it. I pay to have it done. Almost don't count. So no do or do not. I won't even try. It gets more expensive after I tried and failed. Ever have that happen to you? That easy.

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's about €2000 or $2400.

I believe these trucks get "old-timer" status (40 years or older) in Germany, meaning they are exempt from road taxes and lower insurance rates, making them affordable to drive.
Shipping rate including delivery to a location of your choice in Germany and insurance roundabout 3000€
old timer = 30 years or older.

There are some companies that deal with the purchase, handover of money , transport, shipping, customs etc.
In my case, only transportation and customs clearance were necessary......

ssdvc

SSDVC you did get part of this truck. I gave you the spare tire and wheel out of it a few years back. Remember the story? It had the old Goodyear Wrangler AT tires on it when I bought it. I always buy Goodyear tires and when I took it in for replacement tires it had like 5K miles on it and the dealer gave me 5 new tires for some silly price of $250. because the tire DOT numbers were on a recall list for side wall separation. Even with 3300 miles on it when I bought it the NMNG had put 5 new tires on it. I had 1 left front tire blow out on I 81 at 70 mph and I wanted a matching tire. When I went in to pick it up he said I had the last 5 Goodyear Wrangler AT's he could find. The next week I bought 6 tires for another M1009and they were Goodyear Wrangler ATS. They don't make that tire anymore. Now it is Goodyear Wrangler Duratrak or Goodyear Wrangler MTR Kevlar. IMHO the Goodyear Wrangler MTR Kevlar make the M1009 look the best. And with new stock leaf springs at each corner it sits nice and stout. I have a 3rd M1009 unspoken for at the moment. I wanted to make a full convertible out of it but am still debating it. I want these full convertible parts put to use. Not wasted in the scrap yard somewhere. Take Care. Thank you for the support.
And that spare is still back there, properly aired up and ready to go if needed !

cucvrus

Looks like the CUCV M1009 has reached Europe. Happy times are ahead for german M1008. Keep your fingers crossed. I hope to see some pictures soon. And someone wrote they hoped the ocean salt water spray didn't corrode the vehicle. If it corrodes it in the 2 weeks at sea it wasn't a true CUCV. I mean it is in a sealed container and not tied to the deck of a fishing boat. I will just be happy to see it in Europe and after my current project maybe i can accompany it on a road trip. Take Care. I hope it arrives soon.

dougco1

Looks like the CUCV M1009 has reached Europe. Happy times are ahead for german M1008. Keep your fingers crossed. I hope to see some pictures soon. And someone wrote they hoped the ocean salt water spray didn't corrode the vehicle. If it corrodes it in the 2 weeks at sea it wasn't a true CUCV. I mean it is in a sealed container and not tied to the deck of a fishing boat. I will just be happy to see it in Europe and after my current project maybe i can accompany it on a road trip. Take Care. I hope it arrives soon.
So that's where the fraze "Slow boat to China" come from.

cucvrus

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...... it takes about 1-2 days to get it out of the container, then he has to go through customs ......... then the M1009 comes back on a trailer and is brought to a company that prepares it for the German TÜV and approval. ....... at this company I see the M1009 for the first time. The waiting doesn‘t end....... but the end is slowly coming into view. I will of course report back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks