• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 M1028, 454 Gasser......?

axlr8

Looks to be swapped, truck looks clean, engine oily and crud on her, And I dont think gm ever made a gas cucv, they had gasser m880's though.

Chief_919

It is definitely a swap. you can see where they pulled all the wiring off the firewall, and it still has a hydrovac brake booster, the factory gas truck would have a vacuum booster.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swapped. Plus you can always tell by the VIN number. It will jhave a J in the 8 digit for a Diesel.

Reverend Evil

I saw that truck on the interwebs. I like it even as a gas I really like the flat bed on it but I agree it is swap from diesel. but now I know what i want to do with my parts truck when I am done striping it.

rickf

If it still has the 4:56 gears and locker that thing is a beast. That was the hot setup years ago when they first started surplussing them out. Big block, big tires and hold my beer and watch this attitude.:roll:

Rick

phil2968

It is definitely a swap. you can see where they pulled all the wiring off the firewall, and it still has a hydrovac brake booster, the factory gas truck would have a vacuum booster.
My dad drove a 1 ton dually gas in the 80's that had the hydro boost on it. I think it had more to do with gvw and towing more than powerplant. 2cents

aggopian

Definitely a swap the second battery tray is still there also.

As far as the gas/hydro I had an 84 k20 with a 350 with Hydro. THM 400 with NP 203 as ordered by a local DPW. My guess it was a forestry truck or such. It was super low geared like 60mph was asking alot but what a BEAST!

That truck looks great I'd jump on it if the price is right. Good Luck!

islandguydon

I am looking for a plow truck, I do have use for a fith wheel and thought it was a decent truck. What bothers me is the grill does not have the black out light and slave connection which kinda tells me this might not be a bona fide drmo......?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am looking for a plow truck, I do have use for a fith wheel and thought it was a decent truck. What bothers me is the grill does not have the black out light and slave connection which kinda tells me this might not be a bona fide drmo......?
They were probably hacked off with the motor change , it got switched to 12V with the gasser .

islandguydon

I have a slave connection cable with clamps on 1 end. I am sure in a week if I get this truck I will have the front back to normal. I can use the slave for jumping 12 anything. I found a new plow from a guy who owes me money and he asked to do a trade instead. The plow receipt was $4,600.00, He owes me $3,200.00 I think its a fair trade.

The plow is still banded to the pallet and never installed, also comes with all the mounting hardware and controls for a 1986 GMC 1 ton. So in short I am confident this will install easy w/o extensive modifications to anything.[thumbzup]

islandguydon

Date Plate

can you confirm it with the data plates? or check the vin to see if was a diesel( needs a j in it)

Here is a pic of the plate. The rivets look to new. I am iffy if this ever was a true M-1028.....? OR a civi truck green from the factory. The drive train is proper but everything about this truck says custom/changed/hacked/redone. Some times thats good sometimes not.

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The vin is your best bet , but considering where it is at and the current price you can go up to general jims and buy one off the lot cheaper than you get this one back to michigan.2cents

islandguydon

I need a pintal as well. I have a generator trailer waiting for pick up in South Cali, Steve Syros place. By looking at the rear bumper there really is no safe place for a pintal. I figured I would fly to AK then drive to Syros, then home. This road trip would be 3-4 days easy.

I guess Syros can hook me up and weld some 1/2" plate to secure a pintal. I like challenges.