• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1987 M35A2C Fuel Filters Change

FloridaAKM

I finished changing the fuel filters last night & even though everything was bled as I went thru it & after all was sealed up; the engine won't run now. There is fuel flow up to the IP in volume & clean, but she will not start. I tried to bleed the furthest injector from the IP but could not get anything thru it. Will it destroy the ferrule if it is pulled out too far. Read all my TM's & ran several searchs; but to no avail. Any experts want to school me before I have to rent a truck to go to Robins AFB Thursday, as to how easy it is to bleed the injectors? I have even given a good blood offering as apeasement to the fuel system gremlins! :-?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You shouldn't have to bleed the injectors. It sounds like air is getting in the system to me. If your sure the cans and seals are seated right, give it a shot of starting fluid while its cranking and if it starts and then dies, you have an air leak in the fuel sys.

FloridaAKM

She still won't run, so I am renting a 6 x 12 trailer today to go to Robins AFB & pick up the last weeks auction results. Wish my old back luck, the 6 pallets will have to be broken down & loaded by hand into the enclosed trailer, since the Deuce will stay @ home for this trip. The up side is A/C & the phone. Oh well!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you by chance move the fuel shutoff to the stop position? Maybe the shutoff cable moved. Disconnect it and check for movement of the shutoff lever. You may also want to remove the cover and verify the operation.

FloridaAKM

I never touched anything in the IP except the fuel inlet nut when it was removed to bleed the final fuel filter line. The fuel shutoff is up against the firewall & the lever is fully forward; so that is not the problem.

Does Cliffords make house calls? The Deuce could tow or carry the Toyota, but the Toyota can't move the Deuce, unless it is in a parking lot & the Toyota is in 4 wheel Low gear!

Going to pickup the trailer in an hour or so! Those ammo cans are going to have to be hand loaded instead of by a forklift! :?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, pull the cover off the side of the IP and make sure the lever isnt stuck. There is not a direct connection.

rustystud

Never assume anything. Check and verify.
I agree with Warthog, Never Assume anything. Like they say " if you assume your making an ASS of U and ME ". Funny how those sayings stick in your head. I like the story of the new mechanic who was diagnosing a lack of power problem. He had replaced the fuel transfer pump, the injector pump and lines, and now was asking for help from the other mechanics. One old mechanic asked if it had fuel ? The new mechanic said "he assumed so" , but after checking found the tank was empty !

FloridaAKM

Agreeded totally. Never assume anything, such as an unloaded firearm. That said, I bled the # 6 overflow line & got a small amount of air out, so then moved to the #1 & bled it, with only a few bubbles coming out, then solid fuel flow. Then the injector pump side plate came off to make sure all was working smoothly & it was. The lever was spring loaded away from the firewall, so when you pushed it toward the firewall, it would push back smoothly. The clip was inplace!

After letting the intank pump work for a minute. I tried to start the truck, but she wouldn't even smoke, muchless pop to life. Now, back to posting for more ideas.
I agree with Warthog, Never Assume anything. Like they say " if you assume your making an ASS of U and ME ". Funny how those sayings stick in your head. I like the story of the new mechanic who was diagnosing a lack of power problem. He had replaced the fuel transfer pump, the injector pump and lines, and now was asking for help from the other mechanics. One old mechanic asked if it had fuel ? The new mechanic said "he assumed so" , but after checking found the tank was empty !

rustystud

Check for fuel pressure coming out of the injection units pump. This is the line that goes to the fuel filters from the injection pump. If your not getting any pressure from this line and the lines to the injection pump has fuel, then the gears are bad or you have a stuck pressure valve there. During normal operation the pressure here should be 40psi to 70psi.

rustystud

Pull the hydraulic head and put the button back on.
If you still have no pressure out of the injection pump, check to see if the plunger is working in the Hydraulic Head. Take center bolt out, insert small dowel and crank engine over. If the dowel doesn't move you have a stuck plunger and more then likely a bad button. Call AMBAC , they have the buttons and retainers.

FloridaAKM

I will work on these suggestions during the holiday weekend to see if these inspections remedy her ailments. One question though (yes, I read the TM), there is a spring & plunger in the primary fuel filter that connects internally to the manifold heater fuel supply. This spring fell out when I removed the primary fuel filter element, removing the bolt on top of the filter housing, there is a plunger that the spring fits into to control fuel flow(I guess). The plunger was stuck with red varnish, so it was cleaned & reassembled with the spring under it; the spring rested on the metal part of the fuel filter when the filter is asssembled into the canister (that is why it fell out upon filter element removal). The plunger has 4 holes in the cone on top of it & it was not keyed in any direction. My TM does not show this assembly so is there special way to install it, or just drop it back in & replace the bolt after a filter change? The TM I'm using covers the LDS-465-1 engine & my Deuce has a LDT-465 engine (might be my problem).

FloridaAKM

Eureka! A mechanic @ work told me to spray a small amount of silicone spray into the intake, after removing the filter first. I balked @ first, till he gave me a 20 year history of working on diesels in Tampa for the city. After removing the air filter & housing, I sprayed a small amount of silicone into the inlet, let the intank pump run for 20 seconds & hit the starter. She hit a couple of times & died; so putting a little more silicone spray into the inlet was next. Added that few second burst & hit the starter again...............fired her up like normal :D. After a minute of running, shut her down, replaced the air filter & housing. Took her for a spin & she is back to normal, but with new fuel filters.

Thanks for all the help from you guys here, as a lot was learned during this time frame about the fuel system. The tank will dump more goobers into the filters, but changing the filters will be less of a disaster than trying to remove the tank for cleaning or replacing it. Its not that trashed, but the fuel system has been ignored by the military on this truck for some years before I got her.

She did bring me home from Blue Ridge, Georgia with no problems...so I must be blessed!

Thanks again for all your help to get her running again.
:goodjob:

There will be more problems, so you will be hearing from me again!

Woodsplinter

Eureka! A mechanic @ work told me to spray a small amount of silicone spray into the intake,

I think post #2 mentioned this about a week ago, no? :smile:

Glad you got it running!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks