• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1991 M998 Upgrade Build

cruzinz28

Brought the M998 home yesterday morning. One Day in... I've already fitted and installed the front X-Doors.

Future Upgrades to be installed:

* Rear Half Doors
* LED Headlights and Turn Signals
* Radio Tray
* Vic-1 Intercom
* RT-524 Radio
* Hood Mounted Pioneer Tool Bracket and Tools
* Paint
* Fording Kit (Not Purchased Yet)
* Some I may have forgot I have stocked up on already

If you look close to the 2nd picture below, My oldest daughter has taken over driving already and my youngest is spotting out the passenger window.

IMG_1655.jpgIMG_1657.jpgIMG_1660.jpg

darkturbo

Just use bigger than you would think.. Never go wrong with bigger is what my wife says and she is happy. Smiles all the time..
hahaha that's funny

I used the 8 gauge for most of it and 2guage for the one to the negative terminal (instead of the starter) solder everything together. look like it work fine solved by hard starting problem

cruzinz28

At this point everything works flawlessly. Lights, turn signals, and it starts right up every time... but I will investigate the ground harness. Never turn down advice on here when I know the advice comes from those that have already chased and fixed a problem.

cruzinz28

Biggest fight this weekend was fighting the X-Door adjustment on the driver side. Printed the TM and its still night right.

I can't get the door to unlatch from the inside. Pull the handle forward and it just cant get past the point to unlatch the door. SO CLOSE, but still won't open the latch. Passenger side works flawlessly with little effort to open from inside or outside. I may source a used latch I found online.

This week I will be painting and hopefully installing my rear half doors and possibly the tachometer.

Half Doors Purchased.jpg

cruzinz28

And one last post with a few pictures from the weekend. Entire family was eager to help clean out and wash the truck up together. I had a lot of tree debris to clean off the truck and out of the truck from the secondary storage lot my truck was moved to. Second picture is of the truck
setting in the maintenance tent. Been waiting a long time to get some green iron back in that thing.

IMG_1673.jpgIMG_1677.jpg

Action

Biggest fight this weekend was fighting the X-Door adjustment on the driver side. Printed the TM and its still night right.

I can't get the door to unlatch from the inside. Pull the handle forward and it just cant get past the point to unlatch the door. SO CLOSE, but still won't open the latch. Passenger side works flawlessly with little effort to open from inside or outside. I may source a used latch I found online.

This week I will be painting and hopefully installing my rear half doors and possibly the tachometer.

View attachment 637830

In the passenger seat, use your left hand to pull the door closed harder at the same time you use your right hand to push the lever forwards. Sometimes, if not adjusted properly, the door is pushed outwards by the canvas. You just need to releive the pressure for the latch to move freely. This is assuming it is all hooked up correct.

cruzinz28

Well, a parade and a car show delayed my initial progress, but I'm finally starting to roll along.

Last night I got my Commanders seat mounted up. Just need to drill on last hole and make a template for my own support plate since the one from the kit obviously doesn't match up to the seat I am using. Driver Seat matches this one but will utilize the upgraded adjustable base. Lumbar support,reclining feature, and headrest are a great upgrade from the original!

Attachments

Action

As far forward as that commander seat is, do your knees hit the heater? And, usually, a seat won't recline with that bulkhead installed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks